Sargent Seat Question

Bike
2012 ST1300
I have searched the forum, and read multiple threads regarding Sargent seat, but still have questions. For reference, I am 5’8”, 190 lb, 30.5” inseam. I currently have Spencerized seat (lowered, long distance option), and with seat in lowest (both front and rear adjustments) position, can flat foot with no problem.

1) is the Sargent seat lower, higher, or the same seat height – compared to stock?
2) does Sargent offer a “low height” option for ST1300 seat?
3) is the Sargent seat wider than stock, forcing legs out and making it harder to flat foot?
4) Does the Sargent seat have the same annoying downward slope as stock?

Thanks in advance for your help!

okckeith

Site Supporter
Bike
2017 Triumph Trophy
I have one for n my ST1300 and love it! It is wider and flat. No slope into the tank. I have a 32 in. inseam. I have my seat in the highest position now because of my knee. Just had replacement surgery back in February. And just had it scoped 2 weeks ago. I can still flat foot my bike. A had a RDL and hated it. Many love that seat. I purchased a 2015 Triumph Tiger 800 last August and bought a Sargent Performance Plus seat for it. That is there newest seat. It is even better than the regular Sargent seat I have on my ST1300.
I see Sargent seats for sale here pretty often. You can probably pick one up at a real good price. And if it is not the right seat for you, sell it and get your money back. Or see if you can find somebody close to you to try there's on your bike to see if it works for you.

OP
OP
gkc501
Bike
2012 ST1300
Good input, thanks.
Don't think the Sargent Performance Plus seat is available for ST1300, at least Sargent's website does not show it.
Does the extra wideness of your Sargent seat, compared to OEM, affect your ability to flat foot your bike?

Bike
2018 GL1800 DCT Tour
I can't say on the ST but the Tiger 800 standard height Sargent seat feels a little higher than the stock seat to me. However I think they make a lower version. I bought mine second hand from Dduelin.

I see you are in Melbourne. I believe the Sargent seat store in Jacksonville will let you demo a seat. You should call them before you take my word for it though.

I love mine. I had a RDL on my ST for a short time and it wasn't for me.

OP
OP
gkc501
Bike
2012 ST1300
I was thinking of taking a ride to Sargent / Jacksonville. I too believe they demo seats, but I would call first.
I see you are from NSB - is that New Symyrna Beach?

Yes the Sargent seat (rider & pillion) is about an inch total wider. I am a bit longer in the leg with 34" inseam and use the highest position. Best reason I see for the seat is the additional grip and pillion seat shape. I like mine!

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Sargent definitely used to demo seats but call and make sure about it now. I borrowed the ST seat for several hours one day and rode to Savannah and back. I bought a seat when I returned the demo. One of the designers there told me once that they strive to build their seats to the stock seat height and on their web site some of the seat offerings details show the stock vs Sargent heights but the ST1300 isn't one of them. (the NC700X it's the same - the Triumph Tiger 800 it's .05" different). I have a 29" inseam and I don't remember the Sargent being any different in reach to the ground but it is a bit wider in the front of the seat and I've had the seat on for 10 years so I likely forgot if it was. To my knowledge they do not make a low seat instead they say their seat is adjustable like the the stock one. They do custom work though.

The World Performance Plus seats are the same pan and foam construction as Sport Performance seats with the addition of tackier coverings.

Bike
2010 ST1300
I have searched the forum, and read multiple threads regarding Sargent seat, but still have questions. For reference, I am 5?8?, 190 lb, 30.5? inseam. I currently have Spencerized seat (lowered, long distance option), and with seat in lowest (both front and rear adjustments) position, can flat foot with no problem.

1) is the Sargent seat lower, higher, or the same seat height ? compared to stock?
2) does Sargent offer a ?low height? option for ST1300 seat?
3) is the Sargent seat wider than stock, forcing legs out and making it harder to flat foot?

My bike came with a Sargent seat on it (the PO was 6'4"). It was a little higher than the stock seat when in the lowest position, and i could not flat foot at all. (Inseam around 29".) The Sargent is definitely wider - and that is part of the problem - or was a problem - for me. My Sargent was flat and surprisingly hard and comfortable. But, as I said, since I had to stop on tip toes, it was too high and wide for me. I got a Spencerized (lowered) and never looked back.

Bike
18 Gold Wing
STOC #
I have searched the forum, and read multiple threads regarding Sargent seat, but still have questions. For reference, I am 5’8”, 190 lb, 30.5” inseam. I currently have Spencerized seat (lowered, long distance option), and with seat in lowest (both front and rear adjustments) position, can flat foot with no problem.

1) is the Sargent seat lower, higher, or the same seat height – compared to stock?
2) does Sargent offer a “low height” option for ST1300 seat?

I have a Spencerized seat and a Sargent. I m about the same height and inseam you are. I set the Spencerized seat in the highest position up from and lowest in the back to prevent the forward slide. The Sargent has a stiffer seat pan so it is harder to bend to use the same setting therefore I have it set in the mid position up front and lowest position in the rear. I've put several thousand miles on the Sargent and like it better than the Spencer seat. I could flat foot with the Spencer seat and am on the balls of my feet with the Sargent; the Sargent is slightly taller and wider. I can flat foot when loaded down with camping gear and a pillion.
Hope that helps.

OP
OP
gkc501
Bike
2012 ST1300
I have a Spencerized seat and a Sargent. I m about the same height and inseam you are. I set the Spencerized seat in the highest position up from and lowest in the back to prevent the forward slide. The Sargent has a stiffer seat pan so it is harder to bend to use the same setting therefore I have it set in the mid position up front and lowest position in the rear. I've put several thousand miles on the Sargent and like it better than the Spencer seat. I could flat foot with the Spencer seat and am on the balls of my feet with the Sargent; the Sargent is slightly taller and wider. I can flat foot when loaded down with camping gear and a pillion.
Hope that helps.
Yes, helps a lot.
Confirms that the Sargent is higher than Spencer seat.
I do not want to go from being able to flat foot, to "balls of feet"

Bike
18 Gold Wing
STOC #
Yes, helps a lot.
Confirms that the Sargent is higher than Spencer seat.
I do not want to go from being able to flat foot, to "balls of feet"
I should clarify my heels are. Only about an inch off the ground. Usually stop with right foot on brake and left flat on the ground. See if you can try one out, I'm sure there is a member within riding distance that has one you can try.

Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
i just picked up a Sargent a few weeks ago. I'll head out to the garage after the FC Cincinnati game (currently in progress and televised!) and I'll do some ground to seat top measuring. The Sargent is definitely wider than the stock seat. I rode with the stock seat in the middle position. I noticed right away that there was a difference in my ability to firmly plant my feet on the ground. I believe that it's due to the extra width of the seat, not as much the height. I'll report back in a little while...

Bike
ST1300 2012
Both my bikes came with Sargent seats. The 2005 probably has a lot of miles ( ok, less than 22,000) on it and I can tolerate it for now. The 2012's Sargent has maybe 300 miles on it ... Let's just say I cannot wait for my RDL to be built! There will be a nearly new Sargent for sale here shortly!

Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
I took a few pictures and made several measurements of both seats, off and on the bike. I need to crash for the night. I'll post back either later tomorrow or on Monday.

Byron

STOC #
What I didn't like about my Sargent seat is the edge would contact the inner leg and cause a pressure point that became uncomfortable on long rides. I'm 5'-8" with 30" inseam. My current seat is a Spencer Lowered Long Distance.

OP
OP
gkc501
Bike
2012 ST1300
i just picked up a Sargent a few weeks ago. I'll head out to the garage after the FC Cincinnati game (currently in progress and televised!) and I'll do some ground to seat top measuring. The Sargent is definitely wider than the stock seat. I rode with the stock seat in the middle position. I noticed right away that there was a difference in my ability to firmly plant my feet on the ground. I believe that it's due to the extra width of the seat, not as much the height. I'll report back in a little while...
I demo'd the Sargent seat yesterday (thank you Dave!). Regarding comfort/support, I liked it. But it definitely made it harder to flat foot compared to my Spencer lowered seat (both seats in low/low position). Anyone know if Sargent can make a "low" version of the seat for ST1300? They do so for other bikes (according to their site).

Bike
2012 GL 1800
STOC #
I had one on my 1300 and got rid of it. It was much better than stock, but it never broke in. After 200 miles I could not get off quick enough. It was just to hard. Make sure you spend more than a quick ride. You need to go for a full gas tank ride or two. I sold it and got a Russell and was much happier. It seems that the Sargent is love or hate. It is a very well made seat and looks good on the bike. It just did not fit me. I am about your size, just 20 lbs lighter.

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
It seems that the Sargent is love or hate
Not universally. I bought a used one and it is marginally better than the OEM (which I never really hated but certainly felt could be improved on) but neither "THE BOMB" nor "What a POS". It's more of a "Meh. This is kinda better but still leaves room for improvement" for me. Maybe a sheepskin or a Bead Rider will tip the balance. Or maybe I am just needlessly frittering away cash on my way to getting a made-for-me RDL.

I took a 13.5 hour ride yesterday, of which probably 11 or more were actual saddle time. By about hour 9 of saddle time I was ready to be headed for the barn but that had as much to do with my knees getting stiff as my bottom being sore. I do find that there are a couple of contact points that seem to concentrate my weight (yes I hear all of you snickering and saying "lard butt" to yourselves and I cannot entirely deny that fact, sadly, but its more than that). After a while it is time to stand up for a moment, and also to get off the bike.

My knees are the weakest part of the equation. Since I keep the Sargent on the lowest height to facilitate bike management at stoplights, my legs (31" inseam) and more bent than they might otherwise be. I may try experimenting with different seat heights to see how I far over long distances; lowest will probably be the default for commuting and day rides of less than five or six hours; higher might work out better when I know I'm on a ride where there will not be a lot of situations where I need to put boots to pavement for extended periods.

Do any of the rest of you take that approach?

Glad to read this thread. I just picked up a '07 ST 1300 and the one issue is not being able to flat foot the bike. With a passenger, I did not like being on the balls of my feet loading or at stops especially on an incline. The bike came with a Sargent seat. Sounds like a stock seat would lower my feet substantially. That would be a great thing. I'm familiar with Spencer in FL. But what do you guys mean by a "Spencer Lowered Long Distance" seat? Does that mean you sent the stock seat to have your seat lowered and foamed? Thanks, Mike

Top Bottom