Need help determining how this part is supposed to go...

Bike
2006 ST1300
Need help determining how this part is supposed to go. I was checking out my battery compartment and found this flap loose and hanging behind the rear brake fluid reservoir. What I would like is a picture showing me how it is supposed to be attached. Any help is appreciated.

Attachments

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
That is heat protector mat C IIRC. The slit you see fits over a tab that the rear master cylinder reservoir bolts to. The mat wraps around the shock and brake lines in front of and adjacent to the shock. On the opposite side of the mat C is another slit that fits over a tab on the passenger foot peg step plate and there is a clamp, a wire-tie looking thing, that secures the top of C to the frame.

Last edited:
OP
OP
milkmaster
Bike
2006 ST1300
A picture would be very helpful if possible. I tried to look it up in the parts diagrams, but I could not find that part shown anywhere. There is one end of it that seems to be attached beneath the fuel tank now. Is that normal?

dduelin

Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I didn't have a picture last night to reference and I don't now. If you have a service manual the mat C is shown in the procedure to remove the rear shock. If the top edge of the mat is secured to the frame or a brake hose that runs parallel to and below the frame member that is probably correct. The other edge with a slit that slips over a tab on the passenger peg step frame will just be visible at the back edge of that step plate ( passenger foot peg and muffler mounting plate). That leaves the one slit that fits over the brake fluid reservoir mount. You should be able to see the reservoir - is there a rubber mat behind it?

OP
OP
milkmaster
Bike
2006 ST1300
This piece of rubber in the picture is the one behind the rear brake reservoir. I was checking my battery out when I noticed it was just hanging there. I am trying to determine exactly where it should be attached properly. One end of it appears to be attached beneath the fuel tank. The two loose tabs in the picture is what I am trying to see how it goes. Does the cable tie that holds the battery ground also go through this flap?

dduelin

Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
No, the battery ground has nothing to do with it.

This isn't a picture of a stock shock but it will do. The rubber heat mat has three slits. One slips over a tab on the aluminum frame lower right that is on the inside surface of the frame (half circled in red). The mat wraps around the back side of the shock. Remove the rear brake reservoir and another slit slips over the metal bracket that the reservoir bolts onto. (Upper left half circle) The third slit (upper right) is secured to a hose that runs along the frame parallel and below the frame and kind of along the top edge of the lower fuel tank. If this clamp (zip tie sort of plastic clamp) is in place now just affix the two other fixing points.

Last edited:

dduelin

Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
This kind of shows how the upper slit of the mat is in place and also the one on the bracket behind and mounting the brake fluid reservoir.

Top Bottom