Hotter plug for the ST1100

OP
OP
maubur
Bike
1993 ST1100
Elf 4T semisynthetic. Also this engine is under 40k miles.

Last edited:
Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
I would add that if the valve stem seals are leaking, the fouling will be oil related. I'd suggest someone follow you, as you accelerate or cruise after a period of downhill (throttle off, vacuum is higher). When vacuum is high, and valve stem seals questionable, oil will be sucked past them and burn blue when you accelerate again. This will/may also occur if the rings are not sealing, which you can only confirm with a compression and leakdown test, however, with 40k, they should be ok.

OP
OP
maubur
Bike
1993 ST1100
Saturday I cleaned filter and plugs. Tested choke. All OK. YEsterday went out for a test and had my first bad spill in 40 years of motorcycling, courtesy of a concealed asphalt dip on a deserted three lane highway. No insurance (no one covers these bikes). Haven't assesed mechanical damage but plastic is mostly lost. Both saddle bags, mirrors, tip over wings, windshield, cowls. Wrist fracture and assorted road rash. Dang.

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
You have my sympathies also Mauricio. Glad it wasn't more serious for you, but shame about your bike that you have spent so much time on over the years keeping it going.

Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
Sorry to hear about your crash. I had a similar spill last year, my first in 25 years of regular riding. The good news, statistically speaking, is that you should now have 40 trouble-free years of riding ahead!

Get back on that horse as soon as you can.

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
Ahhh, crap. Well I guess fouled plugs are the least of your worries now. Glad you weren't hurt any worse.

OP
OP
maubur
Bike
1993 ST1100
Thanks all for heartwarming messages. Will post pics soon. Lots of work ahead to see if an OEM restoration is possible or will have to go the naked route. Mirrors and covers, as well as saddle bags will definitely have to be replaced. No bags and only one new mirror cover for high $ on eBay. Mechanic will check this week for hidden damage. I did ride the bike home around ten blocks with no major issues.

Top Bottom