Back To Work And Riding After Knee Replacement

okckeith

Site Supporter
Bike
2017 Triumph Trophy
I just got cleared from my Dr. to return to work after knee replacement surgery on 2-8-2016. Almost 4 months and 2 surgeries later, I am much better. I still have to continue to work at it everyday to get as much range of motion as I can out of it. I am so glad to have this behind me. And I look forward to see what it is like to ride without knee pain.
I rode my DR650 last Saturday 120 miles to eat lunch. It is very easy on my knee. I love that little bike! I'll probably try my Tiger this weekend and see how I do. Judy will be out of town. She won't have to know how far or long I rode. And if I feel alright, I will have to see how the ST feels. I'm not going to push it though. I'm still not 100% yet. And do not want any set backs.
I hope to see some of you soon!

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Keith - Glad things are getting sorted out. I took off on my ST the first time down a road less traveled (the Natchez Trace), figuring I could always turn around if it hurt too much. The thing I found with the ST is the 'getting on, getting off' and being able to deal with the side stand/center stand until I made a full recovery. You might check that out before you pull her out on the highway - especially the side stand/center stand deal.

Bike
2005 Concours
Great news, Keith. I'm sure you're replacement at work will be very happy to see you too. Just be careful not to overdue it.

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Really glad to hear you're doing better Keith.

The Dan

The Dude Abides
Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
2009 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
Good news Keith, Hope you can make a few events this year.....NATStoc would be nice.

OP
OP

okckeith

Site Supporter
Bike
2017 Triumph Trophy
Keith - Glad things are getting sorted out. I took off on my ST the first time down a road less traveled (the Natchez Trace), figuring I could always turn around if it hurt too much. The thing I found with the ST is the 'getting on, getting off' and being able to deal with the side stand/center stand until I made a full recovery. You might check that out before you pull her out on the highway - especially the side stand/center stand deal.
Thanks for all your help and support! It has helped me get through this.
My DR650 has a flat hard Corbin seat on it. I can slide back a little on the seat and have zero knee pain. And it is about 320 pounds lighter than the ST. It is a very comfortable bike to ride the way I have it set up. Many upgrades to it. It is my bike of choice during the hot summer days. So it will do for shorter rides during the hot summer while. Continue to get better.
The Tiger is just a great all around bike! And about 225 pounds lighter than the ST. Very comfortable and loves to play in the twisties or off road. Then you can set the cruise and eat up the slab.
But my long distance bike is still the ST.
I hope to be able to walk in the garage and say wich one do I feel like today? Then go enjoy the ride. It will be here before long.

OP
OP

okckeith

Site Supporter
Bike
2017 Triumph Trophy
Congrats. Was there a complication that led to having two surgeries?
My replacement was not your average surgery do to a previous injury back in 2004. I suffered a tibial plateau fracture. I had a brace about 6 inches long with 10 screws to hold my knee together. My Dr. Had a hard time getting all that hardware out of my leg. My surgery was about 5 hours. I also have an extra piece of metal in my Tibia to support the bone where all the screws were at. My scar is probably twice as long as a normal knee replacement. Then my first week after surgery was terrible. One trip to the ER the day after I was released from the hospital after surgery. The pain was off he chart! Had to change up my meds. Then 5 days later I was back in the ER for a bad reaction to my blood pressure medicine. I looked like Fat Albert! I don't take that one anymore!!!
So I lost almost 2 whole days of Rehab on my knee. I guess just enough time for scar tissue to start to build. My Dr. Said I must build it fast. The scar tissue was limiting my range of motion and causeing me a lot of pain. So my 2nd surgery was to to go in and scope the scar tissue and manipulate my knee while I was under to free it up. Yes that hurts!!! But I was just sore after the 2nd surgery. The pain in my knee was gone. Just sore muscles from being stretched to where they needed to be. I have been feeling better everyday.
Today was my follow up visit after my last surgery on 5-9-2016. I got the stitches taken out and Dr. told me to ride my exercise bike everyday. It should continue to improve with time.

Bike
2013 650 vSTrom
STOC #
Uncle Phil gave some excellent advice. After my replacement I could sit on my Vstrom and put my left foot on the peg, but I'd be damned it I could get the kickstand to retract. After a few more days of stretching and bending it was not problem. Glad your on your way to a painless life ( as far as the knee goes)

TOS

Bike
2015 Super Tenere
STOC #
Good News to hear!
Enjoy your break-in rides to loosen that new knee up.
See ya soon I'm sure.
Ride Safe.

Top Bottom