sitting on the shoulder SOL

Bike
04 ST
STOC #
Cindy and I hit a rock (bigger than a softball). Did not go down (thank god). Bent rim, no air, oil is leaking out. Need to head home for the utility trailer. Hwy 9 North of Toronto just west of Hwy 10.

KTD1911

R.I.P. - 2020/10/13
Rest In Peace
Bike
2018 can am spyderf3
Ouch I did that with 07 st1300 bent rim and tire puntured ins. Paid $1,500 for tire and rim

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Glad you kept it upright. Good luck getting back home and update us when you can. Would offer help if I wasn't 1500 miles away!

OP
OP
beeker
Bike
04 ST
STOC #
We are sipping water in a coffee shop. Got the bike towed and in a storage compound. A buddy is driving up to get us (5hours round trip) and i'll come back tomorrow with the utility trailer.

Both of you being OK & unscathed makes everything else just riding "details"...though the ride could have had better outcome...You've got a real good friend out there to count on & thank for his/her being there when needed!...

Scooter

This space for rent...
Bike
2019 BMW R1250RT
STOC #
Wow, that blows. Good on you for keeping it up. That could have turned ugly in a hurry.

2 questions: Where did the rock come from? How fast were you going when you hit it??? (I'm not trying to be critical, just curious...)

OP
OP
beeker
Bike
04 ST
STOC #
I was travelling east bound on Hwy 9 around noon. This is a busy 2 lane hwy with sections widening to 4 lanes allowing for passing of slower traffic. I came upon a section of dirty road with a lot of dust that (in retrospect) was at the access to a dump site for fill being excavated from a subway project. Cindy said there was a sweeper operating along the shoulder but I never saw it. Oncoming traffic was heavy, there was a line of four trucks in the right lane slowly accelerating after turning out of the dump site. The pod of traffic I was in all moved to the passing lane to bypass the trucks. A rock that I believe to be the size of pineapple appeared out from under the car in front of me (he straddled it) I don't remember any brake lights or swerving from him. In retrospect I should maybe have be riding directly in the track of the driver side wheels of the car in front but there was so much traffic (oncoming as well), dirt and dust that I had swung closer to the center of my lane. I estimate I saw the rock about a second before I hit it. There are a lot of cars out there that wouldn't have cleared it. Luckily the tire didn't blow right out but lost pressure over a few hundred yards. The traffic all melted away and I think the oil from my bike and a large bouncing rock created quite a scene behind me. By the time I slowed enough to hit the gravel shoulder I was having a lot of trouble with the steering and I prepared Cindy via intercom that we might spill when I hit the gravel ...luckily didn't but almost drove off the shoulder into the ditch before I got it stopped. I'll be playing that over again in my mind for a while. This was the 'longer but lower traffic route' as Cindy wanted to avoid the 401 on the way out for weekend :/ I plan on taking some photos of the site tomorrow when I return to pick up the bike with my trailer. I was moving with the traffic doing about 80 KPH (50 MPH)

2 questions: Where did the rock come from? How fast were you going when you hit it??? (I'm not trying to be critical, just curious...)[/QUOTE]

Gizmo

Dean
Bike
2014 Yamaha FJR
Sorry to learn of your misfortune, Dennis. Not the way you want to end any ride, although kudos for keeping the bike upright. Any word on the source of the oil leak?

OP
OP
beeker
Bike
04 ST
STOC #
Sorry to learn of your misfortune, Dennis. Not the way you want to end any ride, although kudos for keeping the bike upright. Any word on the source of the oil leak?
Towed home on Saturday and pulled the plastic yesterday. Surprisingly I could not find any sign of the stone impact on any of the plastic pieces. There is a crack on the front corner of the oil pan. Hopefully, that and the tire/rim will be the extent of the damage. I dropped it off at the dealer today for an inspection (including forks) and estimate for repair. Fingers crossed that the pan is the only leak.

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
I have a front wheel if it turns out that you need one (ie. insurance won't replace). Check your PM's
Rod

Bike
No bike
STOC #
Wow! Incredible and so fortunate that you were able to stay up! Glad that you two weren't hurt sounds like it could have been awful, seems like the bike did OK also, hope its just the pan.

Byron

STOC #
I've changed many tires over the years and I think the one with the stiffest carcass is the Battlax. That stiffness may have contributed to you not going down, a softer tire might have aired down immediately. Glad everyone is fine.

Gerhard

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 R1200RT
Wow that sucks, glad the two of you are o.k.

Gerhard

P.S. Good riding to keep the shiny side up

Top Bottom