sitting on the shoulder SOL

Gerhard

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 R1200RT
Would the construction company be financially liable for leaving a hazard on the road? I would contact my insurance with the details and see if they can help resolve this. I just read an article of construction company having to pay for repairs to a number of cars because of the condition that the road was left in, I think it had to do with Kitchener's transit project.

Gerhard

ReSTored

Site Supporter
Bike
2019 Tracer GT
STOC #
Would the construction company be financially liable for leaving a hazard on the road? I would contact my insurance with the details and see if they can help resolve this. I just read an article of construction company having to pay for repairs to a number of cars because of the condition that the road was left in, I think it had to do with Kitchener's transit project.

Gerhard
+1 on this. If you're out-of-pocket after the insurance payout + your deductible I'd definite go after the construction company.

STOC #
Very sorry to hear of this; I just now saw the post. I hope the damage is fully covered as this is clearly not your fault. Any further word on the oil leak?

Just where did this happen? Was this the construction zone on 109 (Orangeville by-pass) near the DQ/Tim's?

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Glad you could keep it up right - front flats are pretty dreadful to deal with by yourself, much less two up. Also a note - If the rim is not cracked, Woody's Wheel Works in Denver, Colorado can probably straighten it like new. They've fixed one of mine and did a great job - though the shipping from Canada might be a bit pricey.

OP
OP
beeker
Bike
04 ST
STOC #
I've changed many tires over the years and I think the one with the stiffest carcass is the Battlax. That stiffness may have contributed to you not going down, a softer tire might have aired down immediately. Glad everyone is fine.
I installed the battleax on the rear (zip ties) this winter and can attest to the sidewall stiffness! I agree wholeheartedly with your observation. I estimate I had about 200-300 yards before I knew for sure the air was dropping. By the time I drifted onto the gravel shoulder air pressure was zero ...and that was exciting!

OP
OP
beeker
Bike
04 ST
STOC #

Gerhard
I am exploring a couple of options. The officers (2 diff detachments responded) both said that without seeing what truck it came from there was no proof to assign liability.

OP
OP
beeker
Bike
04 ST
STOC #
Very sorry to hear of this; I just now saw the post. I hope the damage is fully covered as this is clearly not your fault. Any further word on the oil leak?

Just where did this happen? Was this the construction zone on 109 (Orangeville by-pass) near the DQ/Tim's?
Happened on 9 east past the Tottenham road at the access to the Tottenham Airport Corporation dump site. Unfortunaelt I had coasted over a kilometer by the time I came to a stop and did not get any photos of the actual site.

OP
OP
beeker
Bike
04 ST
STOC #
Glad you could keep it up right - front flats are pretty dreadful to deal with by yourself, much less two up. Also a note - If the rim is not cracked, Woody's Wheel Works in Denver, Colorado can probably straighten it like new. They've fixed one of mine and did a great job - though the shipping from Canada might be a bit pricey.
Thanks for the suggestion Phil. When I looked at the photo I saw that the distortion went beyond the bead lip. It looks like the distortion is in the actual main part of the rim. I think with Rod's generous offer I will be replacing, if not with new with used in good condition.

OP
OP
beeker
Bike
04 ST
STOC #
As to insurance ... I am already paying over $1000 for the ST. I find it irksome that Negligence on the part of someone else ends up as a blight on my driving record! Does anyone have a clear idea of the consequences of filing a insurance claim in Canada for something like this? I can likely get Rods rim and find a pan (IF that is the extent of the damage) for about the same as my deductable if I do my own labor.

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
Let's hope you get it done before ON-STOC.
Insurance is good for the big ticket issues. The smaller items it's best deal yourself and not get them involved. As you say if it's close to your deductable you might as well do it on your own.

Bike
st1300 vfr800
I think since it is not collision claim more comprehensive ( like a rock at the windshield ) it does not affect your insurance . I would also phone the municipality where this happened and ask for their insurance carrier or that of the construction company ,lots of time if you can document damage and you have a witness that will get you some action .

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
Don't know if Canada is same as US, or different, but I had a windshield rock incident years ago. I followed a Jeep into a dirt driveway, the Jeep gassed it in the dirt and threw a rock into my windshield. When I told the insurance company I had the license number of the Jeep they said they didn't want to know, its a "road hazard" with nobody at fault. I'd guess your situation would be similar.

OP
OP
beeker
Bike
04 ST
STOC #
Just got good news on the leak. Oil pan is cracked, crankcase is ok. Also shocks and bearings are tickety-boo. It will cost me a little more than my insurance deductible to fix it myself but not nearly what the shop quoted. (new pan 213.45, new wheel 841.96, new tire 210 pus misc plus labor and tax =$2K

Sorry to learn of your misfortune, Dennis. Not the way you want to end any ride, although kudos for keeping the bike upright. Any word on the source of the oil leak?

OP
OP
beeker
Bike
04 ST
STOC #
Thought I would share a couple of photos. The first I call 'Well and Truly'. The second is 'Put on some P and J'. I don't imagine there are many st1300 oil pans gathering dust in the garage?

oil pan 2.jpg oil pan 1.jpg

Top Bottom