Versys 650 LT

Bug Dr.

Extroverted Loner
Traded in the Tenere a couple weeks ago for the Versys. I wanted something sportier since I really don't need a touring bike right now and that's what my Tenere had morphed into. It got to the point I didn't enjoy taking it out for shorter rides any longer and was only getting used for travel.......and a fantastic travel bike it was. My riding is my therapy and is needed more often than the Tenere was giving me. I'd lost my desire to ride and that was affecting my psyche. So, I fixed the problem.

Boy, did I fix it!

I can honestly say that riding the Versys if the most I've ever had on two wheels. This thing is smooth as silk, powerful, nimble, cheap ($7829 OTD...I know someone is going to ask), comes with luggage, a wind screen that is adjustable and actually works, ABS and an adjustable front suspension that is among the best stock suspensions I've seen. The fit and finish is fantastic for a bike this price. I would argue that it is the best value in all of motorcycling right now. In the 850 miles I've put on it so far I have been constantly amazed and surprised at what this little bike will do.......I can't get enough. I've never wanted to ride and ride on twisty roads like I do on this bike.....it's a pure pleasure.

So, if you are looking to downsize or add another bike to the stable, I would hope you at least test ride one of these bikes before you make your final decision.

See ya down the road,
Mike

Bike
Vstrom 650
Great bike, test rode one earlier this year and loved it, can only imagine what kinda power the versys 1000 has, in the end I bought a 2013 v strom 650 and that suits me fine, but the versys felt very nippy and well built, good luck with your new machine.

Last edited:

okckeith

Site Supporter
Bike
2017 Triumph Trophy
Congrats on the new bike! Nothing wrong with buying what you like and what fits what you like to do with a bike.
I keep thinking that I am going to sell my DR650 and just keep the ST and the Tiger. But every time I ride it I enjoy it so much.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Looks like a blast to ride, congrats!

TOS

Bike
2015 Super Tenere
STOC #
Good to hear you found a different bike that better fits your needs.
Ride Often & Ride Safe

OP
OP

Bug Dr.

Extroverted Loner
*drool

I NEED that motor in a more offroad capable platform....
You would have to change the gearing quite a bit. This motor isn't made to chug along at low RPMs. It really likes to stay above 3K RPMs and likes 5K better. That sounds like a lot of revving but the motor is so smooth you don't know its spinning that fast.
Mike

OP
OP

Bug Dr.

Extroverted Loner
Here is a review of the Wee, Versys and NC

[video=youtube;9Vu0OQyQL6Y]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Vu0OQyQL6Y[/video]
Mike

Bike
Vstrom 650
It feels a more compact bike than the vstrom 650 II, and I thought the Suzuki suited my size better, they had the new versys 1000 there but not ready for demo, looks a great bike and a big improvement looks wise anyway from the first gen versys 1000,
must be a hell of a bike though with that engine,felt great to sit on,ergos good and great seat and adjustable screen.

TPadden

Tom Padden
The tranny on the 1000 was the best shifting of any bike I've ever ridden, and Kaw is famous for their engines:).

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Congrats on the new bike.

I've been in the Kawasaki dealer twice recently for gloves and boots and they have a pretty white one I looked over and sat on both times.

I demoed the Versys twice back in 2012 when I was looking for a 650 class bike. I liked it over the other 650s I looked at but the on the ones I rode the engine vibrated a lot and had a coarse feel which I supposed came from the 180 degree crankshaft. The vibs seemed worst around 65 to 70 mph. From what I understand Kawasaki has revised the engine mounting a couple of times and fixed this by 2015. A good example of Kawasaki making continued revisions during the product life cycle to improve their bikes over time unlike Honda product life cycles. If the 2012 rode like the latest model I might have bought one back then.

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Sounds like a really cool bike Mike. Makes me want one! With some panniers, could it replace my ST?

OP
OP

Bug Dr.

Extroverted Loner
Sounds like a really cool bike Mike. Makes me want one! With some panniers, could it replace my ST?
Yep, it could replace the ST.....unless you ride two-up. It comes with panniers on the LT (light touring) verzion.
Mike

Top Bottom