Versys 650 LT

Bike
2008 ST1300
Thanks a bunch Bug Dr. for your evaluation of the Versys 650. And congratulations on the new ride! :06biker:

Reading this tread makes me nostalgic about my old EX500. It was my first bike and I've always had a fondness for the small to mid-size Kawasaki parallel twin engines. From the discussion here and the outside links posted it sounds as if the new Versys 650 has reached a level of maturity making it a fantastic light sport touring machine.

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
I've had a 650 Versys since '08. Yours has all the inherent goodness of mine along with a couple cycles of refinements. Yours is prettier, too. Interesting that I set mine up in '08 pretty much the way the LT model comes from the factory now. Bet you'll have lots of fun, I really enjoy mine.

Attachments

Bike
2018 NC750X
STOC #
Nice, Mike! Maybe i can see it on the evening of July 5th.... I am stopping in your hometown at a local motel for a night's rest on the way out to Denver. If I arrive early enough, maybe we can eat dinner and swap some lies!

STOC #
Congrats on the bike. I like the optional centerstand and highway pegs.
I'm test riding one this week. Looking at a white one (2015).

Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
Just picked up the exact same model a week and a half ago. Can't wait to get through the break in miles. I kept the ST1300, could not get my self to part with the ST.

OP
OP

Bug Dr.

Extroverted Loner
Just picked up the exact same model a week and a half ago. Can't wait to get through the break in miles. I kept the ST1300, could not get my self to part with the ST.
I gave up on the break-in routine with about 20 miles on it and just started riding the darn thing. No metal shavings in my first oil change so I assume it went well :D

I put another 3,000 miles on the V going to RockSTOC and back and I must say that I am even more impressed with this bike. With the Sargent seat, bar risers, highway pegs and a raised stock wind screen this bike is as comfortable as any bike I've owned for touring. Yes, that surprises me still. I never though that I would be so comfortable on a smaller bike but everything works. On the way to CO and after 650 miles or riding I met JimSTer in Black Mesa State Park. The first thing he said to me was "you don't even look tired"......and I really wasn't.

On the interstate my average fuel economy was in the mid 40s. In the hills of NM and CO I averaged in the mid 60s over four tanks of fuel......not too shabby.

Handling on the V is very good for a somewhat budget bike. The separate function Showa front forks work very well and make for a smooth but firm ride once you get everything dialed in to your liking. The bike is so light and turns effortlessly in corners and sweepers without wallowing. The engine is eager and has an athletic quality that just wants to go.

There were two times in passing that I wished for more power. My biggest problem was that I was downshifting into 5th only for passing. Once I started downshifting into 4th I never had a problem again. I'm still not used to a higher revving bike as most of my previous bikes didn't rev as freely.

The rubber mounts on the motor and bars work great and absolutely no buzz is felt anywhere except a little in the pegs but it is minor.

All in all, I am still very pleased and constantly surprised at how well this bike is serving my needs.........now if I could only go for a ride instead of work I'd be even happier.
Mike

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
Mike, somehow I missed this thread. Congrats! It is an interesting piece of machinery. I wondered about passing power at altitude, but then you rode it into Colorado mountains almost as if you knew someone would ask. :D

I haven't looked, but expect it is mechanical throttle (vs electrically actuated) and doesn't have cruise. Did you put on a throttle lock?

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #
DR Bug, Any Idea how the Versys 650 compares to the 1000LT. Hoping in a couple of years the 1000LT will have Electronic throttle with cruse control. Congrats on the new bike. Also what are your thoughts on the Versys 650 vs the Honda NC700X. I thought you had one of those also at one time.

OP
OP

Bug Dr.

Extroverted Loner
The throttle is old style wire so no electronic cruise. I do use a throttle lock to rest my hand. The 650 and 1000 are very similar with same fuel capacity and luggage size. Major difference is engine size. Most who have ridden both say the ergos are better on the 650 and the 1000 has more powerful. The power differences weren't enough for me to spend $5500 more on the 1000 and end up with a higher overall cost of ownership. I'm sure it is a fine bike that is fun to ride but so is mine. By choosing the 650 I gained better fuel economy, better range (can do 300 miles/tank),better ergos, lower maintenance cost, cheaper insurance, lower cost new and a lighter bike. I don't ride two up so power is plentiful.

Chuck, I tried downsizing before and picked the NC 700. That bike was fun on twisty roads around here but didn't work for ME as a touring bike. In a headwind going to RanchSTOC I couldn't get it to go over 65 mph on a highway with a 75 mph speed limit. Not good.

The Versys suits my desire to downsize and fits my simplicity yearnings to a tee. I'm not a Ludite but I think some motorcycles have become too complex these days.

Through out one's riding tenure needs can change more frequently than bikes. I'm lucky that as my riding needs evolved I was able to find a bike that filled a newly formed niche. I guess you could say we crossed paths at the correct time. Five years ago this bike wouldn't have even been on my radar. This bike isn't for everyone but it is for ME. Hope that makes sense.
Mike

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #
The throttle is old style wire so no electronic cruise. I do use a throttle lock to rest my hand. The 650 and 1000 are very similar with same fuel capacity and luggage size. Major difference is engine size. Most who have ridden both say the ergos are better on the 650 and the 1000 has more powerful. The power differences weren't enough for me to spend $5500 more on the 1000 and end up with a higher overall cost of ownership. I'm sure it is a fine bike that is fun to ride but so is mine. By choosing the 650 I gained better fuel economy, better range (can do 300 miles/tank),better ergos, lower maintenance cost, cheaper insurance, lower cost new and a lighter bike. I don't ride two up so power is plentiful.

Chuck, I tried downsizing before and picked the NC 700. That bike was fun on twisty roads around here but didn't work for ME as a touring bike. In a headwind going to RanchSTOC I couldn't get it to go over 65 mph on a highway with a 75 mph speed limit. Not good.

The Versys suits my desire to downsize and fits my simplicity yearnings to a tee. I'm not a Ludite but I think some motorcycles have become too complex these days.

Through out one's riding tenure needs can change more frequently than bikes. I'm lucky that as my riding needs evolved I was able to find a bike that filled a newly formed niche. I guess you could say we crossed paths at the correct time. Five years ago this bike wouldn't have even been on my radar. This bike isn't for everyone but it is for ME. Hope that makes sense.
Mike
Understand completely, That is why I have the Wee 650 and am looking three years into the future, when the FJR gets too heavy. And when I want to get down to one major motorcycle. Do a two for one trade. Don't know why, but every year the FJR gains weight.

Last edited:

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Good discussion and comments Mike. How much chain maintenance is there? Do you use an auto-oiler?

OP
OP

Bug Dr.

Extroverted Loner
Paul, no oiler. I lubed the chain at the end of every day on this trip. It takes about 30 seconds max. I do need to clean it soon and will use kerosene and a rag like I've done before. Modern chain technology has made maintenance much easier. Hopefully, I will get about 15-20K miles out of it before it needs to be replaced. I will probably go down two teeth on the rear sprocket just to see what that feels like. The people that have done that say it is how the bike should come from the factory. That's the advantage of a chain......you can tweak the gearing.
Mike

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Nice that Kawasaki finally offers a 650 Versys set up for light touring. I set mine up that way 8 years ago. :)

Attachments

OP
OP

Bug Dr.

Extroverted Loner
Nice that Kawasaki finally offers a 650 Versys set up for light touring. I set mine up that way 8 years ago. :)
Nice set up. I went with the Givi V47 top case which is the same as the Kawasaki branded case just about $150 cheaper.

Mike

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
I have my old Givi E52 for long trips. My panniers are Givi V35's, same as what Kawasaki offered in 2008.

Top Bottom