Versys 650 LT

Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
I gave up on the break-in routine with about 20 miles on it and just started riding the darn thing. No metal shavings in my first oil change so I assume it went well :D

Mike
Mike,
Agree on the break-n, I don't see how anyone could follow the break-in routine, manual says keep it under 4000rpm for the first 600 miles. When I picked the bike up, I had to run 20 miles of interstate. If I kept it at 4k, I would have been run over. I am trying to hold it down under 6k for a couple hundred miles though. I am looking at the top case and the Sargent seat also, have both on the ST and am used to them. I do want to find a taller windshield, have to wear ear plugs with stock shield. I am finding it hard to find after market parts for this new model.
Did you get the center stand, or just use a lift for maintenance.
Kevin

Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
On my V STrom 650 I only have to readjust the chain when I change tires. Modern chains do not stretch much at all.
Had no idea chains had improved so much. Great news. Last time I took a trip on a bike with a chain, over 10 years ago, adjusting was still an every day chore! Makes a bike like this Versys (or FJ-09) much more attractive. Thanks.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Bug Dr.

Extroverted Loner
How often does it need to be retensioned?
Don't know yet. It has 4300 miles and it is still fine.

John, I joined the FJ09 forum several months ago and said that would be my next bike. After hearing complaints about seat, wind screen, breaking clutch cables, bad suspension, oil drain plug prone to getting knocked off, high insurance rates (sport bike), low fuel economy, etc, my love affair was somewhat tainted. It comes without bags and it costs about $1000 more (deeply discounted 2015 model) than my Versys. With all of that being said, I am sure I would love the bike anyway.......just went with practicality this time. Guess I'm getting old. I would love to have a XRS 900 or a Thruxton R as a second bike someday as a impractical choice.
Mike

OP
OP

Bug Dr.

Extroverted Loner
Mike,
Agree on the break-n, I don't see how anyone could follow the break-in routine, manual says keep it under 4000rpm for the first 600 miles. When I picked the bike up, I had to run 20 miles of interstate. If I kept it at 4k, I would have been run over. I am trying to hold it down under 6k for a couple hundred miles though. I am looking at the top case and the Sargent seat also, have both on the ST and am used to them. I do want to find a taller windshield, have to wear ear plugs with stock shield. I am finding it hard to find after market parts for this new model.
Did you get the center stand, or just use a lift for maintenance.
Kevin
Went with a SW Motech center stand from either Twisted Throttle or Revzilla.....don't remember where I ordered it from. Both have bike specific pages for after market parts. Just make sure you select the 2015 model Versys. My bar risers, gps mount and highway peg mounts came from Moto Werk https://motowerk.com/collections/kawasaki-versys-v650lt They have very well made stuff with outstanding customer support. I recommend them highly. Their packaging is a thing of beauty and it shows their pride.
Mike

Edit: I also have the Venom lifts that I got from Amazon. I ordered 8mm spools and Venom's spool kit for the rear lift. All of it was under $100 and it works great. I will probably get their triple tree lift as I still can't remove the front wheel easily. With both lifts in use the bike is taller and level which makes it easier to work on.
https://www.amazon.com/Venom®-Motorcycle-Swingarm-Paddock-Kawasaki/dp/B0036QZ8VQ
I had to get spools because the ABS wire runs along the lower edge of the swing arm and I didn't want to remove it in order to lift the back end of the bike.
Mike

Last edited:

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Dang, I gotta quit reading this thread! That review almost put me over the edge, especially when he said he'd go cross country on it. The wheelie was cool too. Mike, is yours a '15 or '16?

Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
OP
OP

Bug Dr.

Extroverted Loner
Paul, mine is a 2016. No difference between 2015 and 2016 except colors. I would not hesitate one second to ride this bike cross country. Wish I could leave tomorrow to do just that.
Mike

paulcb

Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Paul, mine is a 2016. No difference between 2015 and 2016 except colors. I would not hesitate one second to ride this bike cross country. Wish I could leave tomorrow to do just that.
Mike
Thanks Mike. Not too buzzy at 80mph? Enough torque for passing at speed?

OP
OP

Bug Dr.

Extroverted Loner
Thanks Mike. Not too buzzy at 80mph? Enough torque for passing at speed?
Not buzzy at any speed that I've seen. Passed a few folks in CO above 8000 feet and it worked well, especially when I shifted down two gears to pass.
Mike

OP
OP

Bug Dr.

Extroverted Loner
Cool. I have my old E52 for a top case...ginormous!

Ya know, it's a shame to have an unattached top case lying around. It needs a home. TheVersys LT would make a fine stable mate to the RT.
Mike

paulcb

Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Took a look at the Versys 650 today. They (Plano Kawasaki) didn't have one I could ride but said they would if I was 'serious'. A few thoughts coming off my ST11...

• The panniers are big enough to hold my Shoei Multitec with my Sena mounted, no problem. Can't do that on my ST11.
  • Clutch is a cable, not hydraulic.
  • Fit and finish looked really good... everything lined up and fit well.
  • Unlike the 1000 LT, the 650 LT does not come with a rear mounting plate for a top box, it's an extra $207.
  • The windshield looks small but I hear it works very well. The up/down adjustment mechanism is basic but looks like it would be pretty easy to modify to get more than 60mm of travel.
  • It doesn't have any storage, other than the panniers.
  • Seat was a bit higher than my ST11 but felt pretty good, not slippery.
  • With so little tupperware, maintenance looks quite easy.
  • Mirrors are on the handlebar... would have to get used to that. What say you Mike?
  • Overall, ergos were great, for me, I think.
  • The 650 ABS (not LT) was marked $500 of MSRP. They didn't actually have a 650 LT model on the floor. The panniers I checked were on the 1000 LT, same bags on both.
  • The oil filter is exposed right up front and down low, but protected somewhat by the two exhaust pipes.
  • It felt really light and small compared to my ST11, which I rode up on. The 1000 is substantially bigger, in all ways, than the 650.

Don't know how serious I am, but this is the first bike with all the right stuff at the right price that has really peaked my interest over my ST11. Gee, thanks Mike. ;) Plus, the reviews for it are fantastic. Everything else was too heavy, too expensive, bad reviews and/or too many features that I wouldn't use. Now, if Yamaha came out with a Tenere Junior, I might look hard at that.

My .02, YMMV! ;)

Last edited:

paulcb

Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Thanks Mike. Saw that review along with many others. Haven't seen a bad one yet.

STOC #
No, didn't make the buy. I was spoiled by the ST's smooth V-4 and felt I couldn't live with the buzzy ride. The dealer then put me on a 1000. Of course, way smoother with lots more power. The handling was just a tad slower on the 1000 but I was impressed. Rode both two-up and felt the 1000 would be the way to go. However, as I took the long way home and I pondered saying goodbye to the ST..the itch started to fade...Just turned 117,000 so I'm in no rush. But the next itch might not fade so easily...

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Ya know, it's a shame to have an unattached top case lying around. It needs a home. TheVersys LT would make a fine stable mate to the RT.
Mike
Still have the Versys that the top case goes on, so the RT does have a stable mate! They are good complements.

Top Bottom