Inexpensive Aftermarket Cruise Control 2005 ST1300

Bike
ST1300
I've been on the Web for about an hour trying to find an inexpensive cruise control for my bike, however I don't trust some of the descriptions I read SOOO, I thought I'd post this and see if I can get some input.

George

Capt_Gruuvy

Stay-at-Home Astronaut
STOC #
Caterpillar just so happens to make an O-ring for a piece of their equipment that is the perfect size for slipping between the throttle and the plastic part on the left.

Not exactly cruise control but it will hold your throttle in position for periods of time when you want to rest your hand in another position or if you are just way out away from it and want to ride left handed for a while.

I used one. What I liked is that while it was in place if I needed to change speeds I did not have to move it before I twisted the throttle. It doesn't hold tightly, just firmly.

That's my $0.02 and the O-ring was less than $1.00. You are getting away cheap on this one.

Capt_Gruuvy

Stay-at-Home Astronaut
STOC #
Yep. I went to buy one and the counter guy just handed it to me. I guess it was too much work to create a Bill of Sale.

It's easy enough to try.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I don't know that the words cruise control and inexpensive are legally allowed to be used in the same sentence.

A lot of members have installed cruise controls but the installation and price are out of my wheelhouse. So I use a throttle lock. The O-ring solution is very effective but I'm put off by the low-tech and high cost-effectiveness. :lol:

So if a throttle lock could be a consideration the GoCruise is pretty nice. Low-tech concept and very nice execution. It's about twice the price of a Vista Cruise but needs no modification and easily transferrable from bike to bike and simple to use.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Part Number 8M 4991 Caterpillar O-Ring Yellow that the Good Captain mentioned.
Also NEP and Vista Cruise used to make throttle locks - I assume they still do.
Many folks use the Audiovox unit for cars and modify it. Also the Rostra unit is out there. These are electronic but not horribly expensive.
I now have the MCCruise - much more expensive now than when I got mine.

Last edited:
Bike
2012 GL 1800
STOC #
I put the Rostra unit on my 1300 when I had it. It is not flat where I ride and a throttle lock/O ring were more of a pain. The Rostra and Audiovox are not plug and play, but work just like the one in your car when you get it put in. Set it and it keeps the same speed without any adjustments.

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
Part Number 8M 4991 Caterpillar O-Ring Yellow that the Good Captain mentioned.
Also NEP and Vista Cruise used to make throttle locks - I assume they still do.
Many folks use the Audiovox unit for cars and modify it. Also the Rostra unit is out there. These are electronic but not horribly expensive.
I now have the MCCruise - much more expensive now than when I got mine.
I use a Vista Cruise on my 1100. It's flat and anchors between the push/pull throttle cables. Holds fine unless the road surface is really rough...then it allows the throttle to creep down. Was around $22 at my local cycle shop.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Uncle Phil said:
Just a note - The Vista Cruise/NEP models for the ST1100s do not work on the ST1300s unless you do some 'modding' since the throttle cables come out in different places.
This is why I went with the GoCruise among other reasons. Easy install/destall. And when I put the Vista Cruise's tab between the throttle cables it put the activation lever much lower than I liked and made me reach low underneath it with my thumb to flip it off.

For me rolling the throttle off has always been part and parcel of using the front brake so the GoCruise works out well.

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
Just a note - The Vista Cruise/NEP models for the ST1100s do not work on the ST1300s unless you do some 'modding' since the throttle cables come out in different places.
Good catch, I missed the obvious in the title. The basic Vista Cruise will NOT fit directly onto the 1300.

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #
I use a CCS 100 no substitute for a real cruise control throttle locks are all OK but once you have had a real cruise control you can't go back.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
This is why I went with the GoCruise among other reasons. Easy install/destall. And when I put the Vista Cruise's tab between the throttle cables it put the activation lever much lower than I liked and made me reach low underneath it with my thumb to flip it off.

For me rolling the throttle off has always been part and parcel of using the front brake so the GoCruise works out well.
Which model did you go with? I'm looking for something when I rent ST1300s overseas.

STrangr

Mike O.
Bike
2007 St-1300 Abs
STOC #
Surprised to hear no one mentioned throttlemeister.
I have used it on my cbr600f4i and transferred it to the st1300. Works great, simple install, and not too expensive. Used it on a 3,000 mile ride from FL to Canada and it saved my hand. That and a cramp buster and you're good.
Was able to do 500-600 mile days with ease.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom