2003 ST - how do I get to the oil fill cap?

I've tried and tried and I can't get the silver cover off to access the fill port. I don't have one of the removable pieces on the fairing to make it simple. What am I missing?

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Lift up on the rear of it then push it forward while pivoting the rear of it out away from the bike. The front of it has a couple of tabs that hook it onto the valve cover and the rear is secured by a peg in a grommet on the valve cover.

Last edited:
Bike
2015 FJR1300A
Lift up on the rear of it then push it forward while pivoting the rear of it out away from the bike. The front of it has a couple of tabs that hook it onto the valve cover and the rear is secured by a peg in a grommet on the valve cover.
CORRECT: Where the open slot is ( just out of view in Duelins' picture in post above), put 203 fingers in there and gently( firm pressure)...lift up and that part will "pop" off the pegs about 1/2". Then slide towards front wheel and the tabs then are clear of the holders. Sometimes you have to wiggle the piece past the
spark plug wires a little bit. After getting it off the 1st time....it'll make sense.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I put a little plumber's grease on the cover's grommet, makes for taking them off much easier and they won't just pop off, as long as you seat them properly!

Top Bottom