Is there an easy way to remove carbs?

Bike
2000 ST1100
Wow, thank you so much for the great detailed description of how to remove the carbs. It looks very much like I will be doing this to my new bike. It must have sat for many years as it is a 2000 model with only 1,778 miles on it. It won't start and I'm pretty sure it's the carbs. There is a guy named Jack locally (OldSchoolCarbs) who I may have do the cleaning once I get them off. Once I have a look at them I'll decide if I can clean them myself. I agree about silcone grease. I use it all the time to seal things like o-rings, dust boots, air filters, air box covers, you name it...
Perry

Last edited:
Bike
'98 ST1100
STOC #
Maybe it won't start because the carbs are dry and gas isn't getting past the vacuum shut off valve. If you disconnect the vacuum hose from the valve and replace it with a length of small hoe, you can apply an external vacuum ( suck on the hoe ) and then turn thee ignition ON/OFF to energize the fuel pump. This will "prime" the carbs for sure and maybe it will then start. Give it a shot. If it starts and seems to run OK, then run a few cans of Seafoam through it. It may save you from pulling the carbs.

Just doing this myself today for the first time for a coolant leak. I couldn't even see the front right clamp screw so I loosened the right hand upper fairing which gave it enough free play to move it and be able to see it.

If you want to find a coolant leak I can recommend pressure testing the system (saw the idea on here somewhere) I used an 8mm flexi pipe with a schrader valve off an old bicycle inner tube connected at the one end with jubilee clips. Connect it up to the expansion pipe outlet just under the rad cap and pump up with a bicycle pump to about 16 psi. Found my problem easily.

Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
Just doing this myself today for the first time for a coolant leak. I couldn't even see the front right clamp screw so I loosened the right hand upper fairing which gave it enough free play to move it and be able to see it.

If you want to find a coolant leak I can recommend pressure testing the system (saw the idea on here somewhere) I used an 8mm flexi pipe with a schrader valve off an old bicycle inner tube connected at the one end with jubilee clips. Connect it up to the expansion pipe outlet just under the rad cap and pump up with a bicycle pump to about 16 psi. Found my problem easily.
Thanks for the tip; I have a really tiny pinhole somewhere that only leaks when the bike has been ridden a good distance. I will give this a try.

Last edited:
Top Bottom