Purchase decision... 2009 ST1300PA

OP
OP
JMartin
STOC #
Good advice... and sounds very plausible.

In the mean time, and totally off topic... I found a 1989 Honda PC800 Pacific Coast in excellent condition.
Former owner is retired Motorcycle Safety Instructor, just turned 70 years old and is "hanging up his helmets."
Those bikes run forever and have a cult following that keeps their value up... and I've always wanted to try one.
They remind me of my TransAlp with the 600V engine. I loved that bike.
I may go get it just to have something to ride, and then just keep my ear to the ground for the right ST.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Good advice... and sounds very plausible.

In the mean time, and totally off topic... I found a 1989 Honda PC800 Pacific Coast in excellent condition.
Former owner is retired Motorcycle Safety Instructor, just turned 70 years old and is "hanging up his helmets."
Those bikes run forever and have a cult following that keeps their value up... and I've always wanted to try one.
They remind me of my TransAlp with the 600V engine. I loved that bike.
I may go get it just to have something to ride, and then just keep my ear to the ground for the right ST.
Check out my member of the year thread....you will see a photo of my 89 pc800 that had over 300,000 miles on her!
I would look at that over any 1300 police bike with questionable history.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Despite what dealerships tell you....they DO NOT build police bikes!
Honda does, the dealership may put decals on them for whatever department purchases them, or ADD accessories, but the bikes come out of the crate almost complete. They simply assemble them!
I had a service mgr at h#';$(@ honda try to tell me they build the motors faster the stock and BS like that.

OP
OP
JMartin
STOC #
Despite what dealerships tell you....they DO NOT build police bikes!
Got a tour of their shop while I was there. They had 4 police bikes (yes already un-crated and assembled). Three that they were adding Lights, Sirens, Gun Mounts, Radios, Antenna's, Insignia and other accessories to, and One that appeared to be in for some rework/damage repair. There appeared to be no engine work being done... nor was it implied.
Still... I was impressed with their shop, and their workmanship (I looked closely at wiring and such).

So perhaps "build" was the wrong word... but they do complete the package with all the bells and whistles.

Last edited:
OP
OP
JMartin
STOC #
Check out my member of the year thread....you will see a photo of my 89 pc800 that had over 300,000 miles on her!
I would look at that over any 1300 police bike with questionable history.
I'll take a look. Those PC800's seem to be pretty bullet-proof.
My son mumbled something about "Tron" when I showed him a picture, but then I told him about how the trunk has a plug and holds ice...
He put two-and-two together from there.

Bike
'14 CTX1300
STOC #
Nice '09 1300PA in near Denver for $5800. IT's got 13k on it. Just for price comparison. I know there is a big difference in use within those 10k extra miles though.

00c0c_bUkKG82zio3_1200x900.jpg

Bike
2014 FJR ES 2009 WEE
I personally would run from that police scooter and fall all over the PC800....iconic bike that, and fun to ride...and appears to be well taken care of besides.....ff

OP
OP
JMartin
STOC #
Nice '09 1300PA in near Denver for $5800. IT's got 13k on it. Just for price comparison. I know there is a big difference in use within those 10k extra miles though.
Yeah, I know they are at least $1000 high in their asking price. And the bike has a few boogers in the bodywork.
The more I hear everyone's opinion, the less I like this particular bike.

I think I'll call the ol' guy back with the Pacific Coast and see if he's motivated.
There are other deals on-line that are newer (96-97) PC's with fewer miles, but I liked the conversation I had with him.
He's got 15 years on me, but we had a lot in common. He just sounded like someone who knew how to care for a bike.
Garaged and covered... if you're not riding it, that's how it should be.

:)

OP
OP
JMartin
STOC #
Alright... made a total reversal on my whims.

Just committed to a 1996 Honda PC800 Pacific Coast with only 8900 miles on it.
Great shape, $2650... so I can ride it for a season or two and if I don't like it, (honestly, I expect to fall in love), I can sell it and move on.
Should hold it's value well, if I can keep it in similar condition.
Just have to arrange shipping from Texas to California. Not too difficult.

Thanx for everyone's input, and I'll always have my other eye open for an ST1300.

Jim

1996 PC800 Thumb.jpg

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Cool! You'll have to join us at an event and show it off!

Bike
2014 FJR ES 2009 WEE
Just have to arrange shipping from Texas to California. Not too difficult. Yeah, a one way airline ticket and you're all set....enjoy the new scoot...ff

OP
OP
JMartin
STOC #
Just have to arrange shipping from Texas to California. Not too difficult. Yeah, a one way airline ticket and you're all set....enjoy the new scoot...ff
I've been out of the saddle for way to long to make a 1600 mile trip the first one back in the saddle.
I'm in the towing business, so I've got some shipping experience.

OP
OP
JMartin
STOC #
Got the PC800 here from Texas, and I love it!

It was in almost flawless condition, and I've already added some auxiliary lights and a few other farkles. I haven't put too many miles on it yet... instead I've been teaching my daughter to ride. At the same time I found a little Honda 250 Nighthawk locally for her and she loves it. Took the written test, got her permit, and she's been riding around the neighborhood (gated community) for a few weeks getting some legs, and learning what a "clutch" is all about. So much of my riding has been alongside her and a few lengths behind, while I coach her in our Bluetooth helmets. We're having a blast.

First Pic Small.jpg

OP
OP
JMartin
STOC #
Thanx.

And you know, when I was growing up, my Father always kept my stable full of bikes... from a Mini-Trail 50 that he brought home in the trunk of his car, through an SL-70, a couple XL-125's, an XL-175...
and when I got old enough to buy my own, a CB-750K, and a CBR-1000...
But in all those years, I was never able to look over in the lane next to me and find him there.
It was a sport I enjoyed alone. He's gone now.

That's not going to happen with my kids.

Bike
'14 CTX1300
STOC #
My Dad took up riding for a spell after I started riding. I was lucky enough to have him next to me a few times if only in town. Something special that I am glad you and your kids will enjoy!

OP
OP
JMartin
STOC #
Photo of my first Farkle... LED Auxiliary Lights.
Wired them to a two way switch so I can operate them independent of the headlight, or tied to High-Beam switch, or off altogether.

First Farkle.jpg

Farkle Detail.jpg

Also found a heck of a deal on a Pneumatic/Hydraulic Motorcycle Lift... $150 on Craigslist.
Woohoo.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Beauty, eh! And the Nighthawk's not bad looking either. No disrespect to your daughter but could you post some pics of the PC800 now that you've had it for a bit?

Sorry. Skipped right over the pics of the PC. I'll reread this whole thread before asking any more questions.

Last edited:
Top Bottom