Honda GL1800 Goldwing Tip-over / crash bar installation tips & tricks

Hello everyone,

I just though I would post a few pictures and info on what NOT to do, to help others speed up the process and highlight a few things. I got the idea from this link
https://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?132655-Saddlebag-protection-bars

dduelin posted pictures and others added info, but I feel some things were left out and need explaining.

First of, the bars fit really well after you get them on the ST1300 :)

If you decide to get the bars from e-bay I can honestly recommend these guys. http://www.ebay.ca/usr/kdcycleparts?_trksid=p2047675.l2559 Super fast delivery and absolutely hassle free shipping to Canada :bow1:

So let's get in to the meat of thing. The bars mounting holes will need to be widened (reamed out), the mounting holes are further apart on the GL1800, so you will need to bend the bar ends closer together to get the holes to line up. That's it. Not quite :(

As mentioned in the link above the best way to do it is by using a vice and squeezing the bar ends together until the desired center to center spacing of the ST1300 mounting holes is achieved. The center to center on the ST1300 is 40mm which converts to 1.57" or 1 9/16" if I did the math right. The GL1800 holes are about 60mm or 2 3/8" apart. You will also need to zip cut the appendage with the little hole off in order to be able to squeeze the bars together far enough. See picture.

GL1800 bar.jpg

So once you have the appendage cut off and the existing holes reamed out to about 8/16" or what ever is close in imperial (or standard for my friends South of the 49th parallel) you can start putting them in a vice to squeeze the ends together. You will notice that as the ends come together, the areas with the holes will not look flush fitting anymore, but that's not a problem, because where they are to mount on the ST1300 isn't flush either. Once you have the holes squeezed to 40mm or about 1 9/16" (center to center of hole), you will need a 2 1/2 - 3 1/2" hose clamp to hold them in place. NOTE :attentio: I initially tried to use the hose clamp to just tighten it up and squeeze the ends together, but eventually the tension in the bar becomes so strong, that the hose clamp adjustment screw will start stripping / skipping. So do yourself a favor and use the vice and save yourself the headache.

Bar inst (3).jpg

Now that you have your tip-over / crash-bar in place, you are ready to start the installation. :grin: This is where I though it would've been helpful to have detailed instructions in order to avoid a few unpleasant surprises. You will need a wrench with a 14mm socket & standard 9/16 or 14mm wrench, a large allen / hex key for the ST1300 bolts that need removing, 4 10mm x 40mm bolts with 1.25 pitch and approx. 16 washers that fit inside the frame cutout on the ST1300.

Bar inst (6).jpg Bar inst (7).jpg Bar inst (8).jpg

The bolts on the ST1300 will have to be removed of course, but don't take them both out.

Bar inst (5).jpg

Take the top one out and install the bar with the washers as pictured. This way the outside aluminum frame and the interior steel tube frame of the ST1300 won't separate and give you grieve with alignment. Once you have the top bolt in (don't tighten all the way yet, you'll need to swing down the bar for the lower bolt) you can remove the lower bolt.

Bar inst (9).jpg Bar inst (10).jpg

The lower bolt doesn't need the washers, but you can certainly install them in that cutout too. It takes approx 7-8 washers to fill that cutout.

Once your swing down the bar and install the lower bolt you will notice that the washers in the top hole help align the uneven mounting surfaces.

Bar inst (11).jpg Bar inst (2).jpg

So that's it. you are done. I didn't use loctite on the bolts, because the tension in the frame parts and the tip-over bar will not allow them to move. I will check the tightness during regular maintenance, but I don't expect any surprises.

Here is the finished look

Bar inst (13).jpg Bar inst (14).jpgBar inst (15).jpg

I hope this little write up will help someone and make things go smoother than my first attempt.

Cheers from Nova Scotia :CanFlag1:

Chris

Attachments

Last edited:
Bike
04 ST
STOC #
Thanks for the details. I have a set to install after a few other details get taken care of. BTW, I spent quite a few years in you neck of thev woods, Hubbards, Dartmouth, Stellarton, Halifax, Prospect. Where are you located?
Dennis

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Chris, thanks for the write up! I too have a set to install and this will help a lot!

OP
OP
Versys Chris
Thanks for the details. I have a set to install after a few other details get taken care of. BTW, I spent quite a few years in you neck of thev woods, Hubbards, Dartmouth, Stellarton, Halifax, Prospect. Where are you located?
Dennis
Hi Dennis, I'm in Bridgewater, but before I moved her I lived in Waterloo :capwin:
Small world.

Chris

Bike
ST1300A4
I've just fitted mine of these, thanks for the info. A couple of things; I used 45mm long bolts, which seem a better fit. Also, M10 comes in coarse (1.5) and fine (1.25) threads. As you said, 1.25 is correct - but anyone doing this should be aware that 1.5 is more common, so if a bolt is simply M10 then it is probably the wrong pitch. I used a pair of 25-40mm jubilee clips connected together as I didn't have a single long one to hand. My vice wasn't quite big enough to start the squeeze, so I put nuts and bolts through the holes and squeezed those in the vice. That also means the vice isn't gripping the tipover bar so won't mark it. I did wrap the bar where the jubilee clip was mounted, and filled all four wells with washers.

I certainly wouldn't have wanted to do this without the MCL footpeg extenders; I think it would have made it a bit cramped for the pillion.

OP
OP
Versys Chris
Great to see you figured out hoe to work with what you had on hand. I don't have any issues with the rear pegs, but title are right. A extension would certainly give the passenger more room.

Bike
ST1300A4
Just did about 300 miles today with Mrs Sturge on the back. The left hand bar is fine, the right hand one (which tilts forwards due to them being a slightly different shape) hits the back of her leg and became painful towards the end. We'll have to rethink that - maybe put an adaptor plate on, or get a piece welded to it that can then be drilled.

OP
OP
Versys Chris
Just did about 300 miles today with Mrs Sturge on the back. The left hand bar is fine, the right hand one (which tilts forwards due to them being a slightly different shape) hits the back of her leg and became painful towards the end. We'll have to rethink that - maybe put an adaptor plate on, or get a piece welded to it that can then be drilled.
I noticed that twist too and thought it was unique to the bars I received. The easy way and what I did is to put them in a bench vise and use a crow bar or similar to bend / twist them to where they need be.

Chris

Bike
ST1300A4
Ah, thanks - I'll give that a go. The springiness in the bars seems to resist cold setting, but if you've had success then it's worth a try. I quite like the way they look without the adaptor plates.
For the moment I've removed them; I'll be doing a lot of miles with a pillion over the next few weeks rather than my usual solo riding. Having both off will help to make them match as I can compare between them.

Sidekick

Save Ukraine Stop War!
Bike
ST1300A '05
STOC #
I noticed that twist too and thought it was unique to the bars I received. The easy way and what I did is to put them in a bench vise and use a crow bar or similar to bend / twist them to where they need be.

Chris
I should have read that first, before spending my afternoon trying to install them.
Left one no problem. The right one was impossible to fit.
I also thought it was unique to the bars I received, my bad.

Thank you Chris!

Bike
2007 ST1300
I should have read that first, before spending my afternoon trying to install them.
Left one no problem. The right one was impossible to fit.
I also thought it was unique to the bars I received, my bad.

Thank you Chris!
I used hose clamps and a vice to get them pulled together to the right distance. Even then, I had to heat one of mine up with a torch and then pry the bars to get it to fit properly. Heating it didn’t seem to impact the color any.

Top Bottom