Help! ST1100 dying on the road, fuel contamination or???

Bike
1995 ST1100
STOC #
I removed it from mine when I bought and and refurbished my ST - I don't know if mine was failed, failing or just fine, but the general consensus is you should be fine without it and it decreases the chances for headaches.

Bike
97 ST 1100
Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
Apparently these rebuild kits are $22.95 from Big Bike Parts. Here is a link: http://www.bigbikeparts.com/templates/product.aspx?ProductGuid=5-601&GroupGuid=16&catalogNo=
Here is a link to a video of the rebuild :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2APRgiXcuGU . It's for a GL1500 but the petcocks are the same.
The petcock leaked the 1st two times I tried the rebuild but on the third try it worked fine (knock wood).
Posted this in another forum recently, if you've read it....sorry for the duplication.

Had a raw gas smell in the garage after rides. Carbs have been rebuilt so I checked elsewhere first. found the gas cap vent was plugged and was causing a significant pressure in the tank...replaced the cap and it mostly went away. Thought the residual problem may be the vacuum petcock. I bought my K&S rebuild kit from Dennis Kirk (also for $23). Pulled the bags and side covers, the gas tank cover and petcock. Cleaned and rebuilt it. There were no perforations and the two diaphragms were still properly in place; but they were very floppy. When held vertically they drooped over like beagle ears. The new diaphragms were quite a bit more pliable. BTW, I licked the nubs on both diaphragms and they popped right into the coupler....no trouble like video guy had (just lazy and didn't want to retrieve my lube from the garage). Reinstalled the petcock and ran the bike to temperature to check for leaks, there were none. Test rode it for 10 miles or so; after completion of the ride the raw gas odor was gone and hasn't returned.

ALSO...the bike has always started right up cold, required a bit of starter when hot. After the rebuild, it starts almost immediately cold or hot. I did not expect that.

Apparently the vacuum petcock can cause other problems aside from fuel flow restriction. I may remove it rather than rebuild it next time there is an issue with it.

Last edited:
Bike
94 magna, 07 goldwin
Was having same problem as OP...replaced the fuel pump after eliminating everything else.

Top Bottom