LED bulb replacement

Bike
91 ST 1100
Hello I would like to know if there any direct plug in replacement LED bulbs for the ST 1100 Front Amber turn signal bulbs and rear amber turn. Also the back red stop and run bulb. I was told the amber lights for turn signals might need a built in resistor to control flash rate. Any Help would be appreciated. The present Stanley bulb for Brake/Run light is marked 12V 32/30 PBHN 32/3CP WITH STAGGERED SOCKET PINS. The rear single element amber turn signal bulbs are Stanley #1073 with non staggered socket pins. Thanks Any help appreciated WVIRNWKR/ Mike

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
I have heard of a few people swapping the incandescent bulbs out for LED; but, I have not heard of any satisfactory results.
I do know that LED bulbs *will* need additional electronics to work though.

Good luck.

The Dan

The Dude Abides
Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
2009 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
You just need to change out the flasher unit to one that works with LED.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
LED bulb used to replace the directionals will need either resistors (usually supplied with the bulbs) or a new electronic flasher (pretty cheap) to let the directionals flash at a normal rate and not "hyper-flash". A resistor is needed for each LED but only one flasher will handle any combination of LED and incandescent turn signal bulbs.

LEDs used for the forward position lights and the tail/brake lights don't need any additional electronics.

High-power LED bulbs used for the headlights have a small box that's part of their harnesses. Plug and play it just needs to be tucked out of the way.

richpeabody

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100
STOC #
yes
I have used Halogen bulbs in turn signals and brake lights for years....happy with them....
I had some LED 1157 equivalents as well as 1156 .....the 1156 work well in the rear turn signals....I wager the halogens are a little more resistance, things kinda equaled out.
The running / brake light(s) work as well, because they're not flashed...
The LED's seem about as bright in this application as the halogens, BTW
Have fun!

Bike
2006 ST1300A
2024 Miles
Part of the reason to go to LEDs is for the power saving for other farkels. So using resistors negates that. You are better off getting the new "LED" flasher unit so you do not need the wasteful resistors. On the 1300 we have so much power it is not a big deal but on the 1100 and all smaller bikes every watt counts. The newer LEDs are brighter and will last longer than your bike. The dual color "switchback" LEDs for turn signals (front and rear) are really nice. The Shielded H4 LEDs are a fantastic improvement over the halogen bulb...

I have gone ALL LED and I am extremely happy with the results!!!

Bike
1995 ST1100
STOC #
Part of the reason to go to LEDs is for the power saving for other farkels. So using resistors negates that. You are better off getting the new "LED" flasher unit so you do not need the wasteful resistors. On the 1300 we have so much power it is not a big deal but on the 1100 and all smaller bikes every watt counts. The newer LEDs are brighter and will last longer than your bike. The dual color "switchback" LEDs for turn signals (front and rear) are really nice. The Shielded H4 LEDs are a fantastic improvement over the halogen bulb...

I have gone ALL LED and I am extremely happy with the results!!!
Going with LEDs on the flashers and tail/brake light are next on my list. Banggood.com has flashers for LEDs very cheap and the LEDS you need as well.

OP
OP
Bike
91 ST 1100
spiderman---Thanks for the LED info. I am interested in switching the headlights to LED. Is the Shielded H4 led u mentioned brighter and use less power. Is there a kit or specific bulb make and # I need to get to install on my 91 1100 . Thanks wvirnwkr Mike

STOC #

DJDixon

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
STOC #
On the ST1100, you can't use the red LEDs for the tail/brake lights, as the license plate light can't be red (in most places, anyway!). You will need to use the white LEDs or cover the license light section and use a separate white LED to illuminate the license plate.

STOC #
On the ST1100, you can't use the red LEDs for the tail/brake lights, as the license plate light can't be red (in most places, anyway!). You will need to use the white LEDs or cover the license light section and use a separate white LED to illuminate the license plate.
Yeah, I see what you mean, I guess 1157 LED Bulb w/ Stock Cover - Dual Function 36 SMD LED Tower - BAY15D Retrofit - Cool White, would be a better choice.

Top Bottom