970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
My alternator died yesterday, so I am putting together a parts list and thought I would share it for review and for others in the future. I will be removing the radiator only to replace the alternator and therefore won't be messing with the throttle body boots. I am not sure if the last two items are needed or accessible (R & L Water Hose)

Thanks all and hope this is helpful.
I have a alternator on order with all of the coolant hoses to replace. I already have my throttle body off which should make it easier to replace. My ST1300 is over 225,000 miles, how many miles on your ST?

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Why call and keep it off line? To keep it safely away from questions and comments from the forum's body of knowledge? Knowledge for all lives in the light of day for all to read and learn.
The point is not strictly to "keep it off line".
Some tasks are simply too involved, to expect all the Q&A to be covered in a fluid forum, with all the comments, rabbit holes, and having to wait for a response.
I have already been into 2 or 3 tasks, where it would be (for me) IMPOSSIBLE to complete the operation and get the machine running and rideable again, unless I were willing to wait a week or longer.
Time and place.
And context.
That said, maybe someone presently engaged (or about to be) in this replacement, could also take the time to get photos and a sequence / process for the benefit of the rest of us. In the event we don't already have one in the ST1300 articles.
Hopefully, this alternator chore will be tens of thousands of miles from now, in my case.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
The point is not strictly to "keep it off line".
Some tasks are simply too involved, to expect all the Q&A to be covered in a fluid forum, with all the comments, rabbit holes, and having to wait for a response.
I have already been into 2 or 3 tasks, where it would be (for me) IMPOSSIBLE to complete the operation and get the machine running and rideable again, unless I were willing to wait a week or longer.
Time and place.
And context.
That said, maybe someone presently engaged (or about to be) in this replacement, could also take the time to get photos and a sequence / process for the benefit of the rest of us. In the event we don't already have one in the ST1300 articles.
Hopefully, this alternator chore will be tens of thousands of miles from now, in my case.
This thread is 5 or 6 years old. People do come along in time looking for information and conversations held off line are lost. Might as well just list people available to take calls and leave it at that? What about 5 years from now when someone would like your experience with the job you did in 2020?

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
This thread is 5 or 6 years old. People do come along in time looking for information and conversations held off line are lost. Might as well just list people available to take calls and leave it at that? What about 5 years from now when someone would like your experience with the job you did in 2020?
Not to be argumentative, and here's my last on this:
Many photos are missing from the older posts and how-to's. I understand why, but still - the internet is not a fix-it-all forever, and this forum is not exempt from Murphy's Law, or the Powers That Be and the Powers That Have Yet To Be.
I'd like to see a well-documented, well-photographed ST1300 Article on this (assuming there is none), but an ongoing, online Q&A would drive me crazy. This forum is not quite as Real Time as is the Real-Real Time, i.e. let's talk about what's going on, using the telephone.
AND... once the OP has resolved his issue(-s) over the phone, with less trial and error, he can report back here.
While it's still fresh in his mind. And it would be easier to read and comprehend, without all the interruptions by thread-hijackers.
Like me. :D

I have a alternator on order with all of the coolant hoses to replace. I already have my throttle body off which should make it easier to replace. My ST1300 is over 225,000 miles, how many miles on your ST?
970Mike. I have roughly 45K miles on my 2006 ST1300. It's just getting broke in.

NewtonNole

Site Supporter
My alternator died yesterday, so I am putting together a parts list and thought I would share it for review and for others in the future. I will be removing the radiator only to replace the alternator and therefore won't be messing with the throttle body boots. I am not sure if the last two items are needed or accessible (R & L Water Hose)

Part #DescriptionQuantity
31100-MCS-013
Alternator​
1​
91331-MCP-900O-RING (21.2X2.4) for Thermostat and Water Joint housing
3​
91361-MCS-A10O-RING (43.5X2) for Thermostat
1​
19501-MCS-G00HOSE, RADIATOR (UPPER)
1​
19502-MCS-G00HOSE, RADIATOR (LOWER)
1​
19504-MCS-010HOSE, R. WATER
1​
19506-MCS-010HOSE, L. WATER
1​

Just wanted to say thanks.

NewtonNole

Site Supporter
Your welcome. I have the parts listed and will be doing this job in the next couple weeks. Hopefully that's all the parts needed.
In case anyone comes along to search, I'll post my track and troubles along the way. Maybe it will help someone.

Found a low mileage 2014 CTX1300 Alternator for a little less than $400.

Parts list from your post is below except I added a harness. I figured I would be already in there. As of 5/2021, I am looking at $520 total with tax and expedited shipping.

Order ItemsOrderedShippedTotal Price
19501-MCS-G00 - HOSE, RADIATOR
Shipped: Tuesday, May 18, 2021
11$18.94
19502-MCS-G00 - HOSE, RADIATOR

Available Monday, May 24, 2021
10$14.95
19504-MCS-010 - HOSE, R. WATER

10$5.99
19506-MCS-010 - HOSE, L. WATER
11$6.29
32130-MCS-000 - SUB-HARNESS, ALTNTR

10$18.95
91331-MCP-900 - O-RING (21.2X2.4)

10$2.34
91361-MCS-A10 - O-RING (43.5X2)
11$1.72

Subtotal:$69.18

NewtonNole

Site Supporter

Part #DescriptionQuantity
31100-MCS-013
Alternator​
1​
91331-MCP-900O-RING (21.2X2.4) for Thermostat and Water Joint housing
3​
91361-MCS-A10O-RING (43.5X2) for Thermostat
1​
19501-MCS-G00HOSE, RADIATOR (UPPER)
1​
19502-MCS-G00HOSE, RADIATOR (LOWER)
1​
19504-MCS-010HOSE, R. WATER
1​
19506-MCS-010HOSE, L. WATER
1​

Note that it is easier to remove both sides of the coolant ports that will need the 91331-MCP-900 oRing. I found this out the hard way and was in a desperate search to put the bike back together for a Memorial Day trip. It turns out, this part is used by Acura and Honda cars. The part number on the car side is #91331-PC9-003. The Acura service department will have me 2 tomorrow!!

Hope this helps someone in the future.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
That's neat.
And useful.
IIRC, there's a website that has cross references to interchangeable parts between all HMC's vehicles.
Unless I was dreaming...

NewtonNole

Site Supporter
I appreciate all the people that helped with such a turnaround and the confidence to change the damn alternator. It was a fun trip! I also reupped my support for this valuable storage of information.

Attachments

Finally got around to my alternator replacement. I used every part on my list except the Thermostat O-rings. 91361-MCS-A10 and 91331-MCP-900 (1 of 3). I probably "could" have gotten it out without taking off the throttle body, but I ultimately did take the TB off. Lots of hoses and wires to keep track of. I recommend taking pictures, like I didn't. Tomorrow I'll get the plastic back on. I will say 1 gallon of 50/50 antifreeze is probably sufficient to refill the cooling system.

I should add that I did order constant pressure hose clamps. I planned to use 8, but the size of the tightening heads was enormous and I wasn't sure how to fit them in. I used 4 for the upper and lower radiator hoses.

Last edited:
I'm in the process of replacing mine.
While 3 bolts would be ideal 2 would be more than enough to firmly keep it in place.
RPM is not a concern, it's just torque and there is very little of it trying to turn the alternator, maybe 2-3 ft. lbs.
Virtually zero axial or radial load.
One of those bolts can handle well over 1,000 ft. lbs. Of torque on the alt. housing.
Install all 3 if at all possible.

This is what the bolt pattern of the alternator looks like. You have access to the lower one by removing the thermostat housing and the oil pressure sending unit, perhaps the metal pipe joints on the heads - I can't really remember.

Don't take shortcuts and leave retaining bolts and fasteners lying on the bench. The alternator spins from 8,000 to 19,500 rpm during engine operation. Do you really want to wonder if two bolts of three is all that is really necessary? I have seen (and heard) what happens to a ST1300 when the alternator gear drive grenades.

I'm in the process of replacing mine.

While 3 bolts would be ideal 2 would be more than enough to firmly keep it in place.

RPM is not a concern, it's just torque and there is very little of it trying to turn the alternator, maybe 2-3 ft. lbs.

Virtually zero axial or radial load.

One of those bolts can handle well over 1,000 ft. lbs. Of torque on the alt. housing.
Install all 3 if at all possible.
Since this is your initial posting, welcome aboard from Texas!! I assume you might be in AL.

It's customary to initially post in the new member area, so folks understand your background and history with the STs.

I'll throw this out there ... if Mother Honda felt 2 bolts is enough, there would only be two :)

Anyway ... why do you think you need to replace the alternator?? (mileage?? bike history??)

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
If you only replace two bolts, you will be going back in there to do it again.

I appreciate all the people that helped with such a turnaround and the confidence to change the damn alternator. It was a fun trip! I also reupped my support for this valuable storage of information.
How did you change your alternator, like the book thru the throttle body or as someone suggested on here, via the radiator?

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
How did you change your alternator, like the book thru the throttle body or as someone suggested on here, via the radiator?
When I replaced mine I was replacing all hoses and had the throttle body and radiator out, some say you can do it from the radiator area with it removed.

Top Bottom