Beware of the dreaded shoe strings!

Bike
2006 ST1300
ALMOST had a tip over today when I stopped at a light. My left shoe string had gotten tangled into my shifter lever. I went to put my foot down and suddenly could not free my foot and put it on the pavement. Luckily and quickly I shifted my weight and cheeks off to the right side of the bike and touched down there while wrestling the bike to stay upright. The shoe string entanglement was not bad. It was just unexpected to the point it could have been problematic and certainly got my attention quickly.

Bike
2012 Kawasaki C14
STOC #
Sounds like you need a good pair of MC boots that don't have strings!

OP
OP
milkmaster
Bike
2006 ST1300
I just need to be more careful and have my head up about it. My steel toed work shoes are what I ride to work and home. Not much choice about that. For sure I wil shorten the strings a bit where the loops are not as big when tied.

Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
My other two motorcycles are both Honda CB 10-speeds,, and the hi-low range shift lever is famous for catching left side shoe laces. I learned long ago to wear proper MC boots that secure the laces out of harms way. They are also less likely to slip on sand or gravel, with the larger proper soles. Cat'

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
The same thing happened to me once. Hiking shoes and boots have ridiculously long laces. Maybe so that in an emergency you can cut off the extra and use it as with an ersatz zip line. Anyway now I alway triple-tie knot them so the loops are super small.

I've tried cutting the extra off and McGyvering some aglets with heat shrink tubing but they didn't last.

STOC #
Stuff your "loops" into the top of your boot between the boot & your socks. Mine rest there all day, even worked when I was in the Airborne Infantry. You will be able to find a comfort zone for your "loops" & you will be safer riding as well as at work.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
The same thing happened to me once. Hiking shoes and boots have ridiculously long laces. Maybe so that in an emergency you can cut off the extra and use it as with an ersatz zip line. Anyway now I alway triple-tie knot them so the loops are super small.

I've tried cutting the extra off and McGyvering some aglets with heat shrink tubing but they didn't last.
It's not often I read about aglets much less get to post a reply with 'aglet' in it.

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
Stuff your "loops" into the top of your boot between the boot & your socks. Mine rest there all day, even worked when I was in the Airborne Infantry. You will be able to find a comfort zone for your "loops" & you will be safer riding as well as at work.
That was the suggestion I was going to make: tuck the extra length inside the boot! :yes:

Bike
2018 GL1800 DCT Tour
Back when I had my ST I was putting it in the garage. I rode it in to where I parked it and was already committed to a left lean, left foot down. I had nowhere to go and had to stop. I went to put my left foot down and had the same thing. Lace caught on the shifter I assume. With no other option other than falling into a tractor I pushed my left foot down hard. I can't remember if it came untied or off the shifter. Anyway I figured I had bent or broke my shifter or shoelace, but no damage. I learned a lesson and am still mindful of it today.

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
I too, often wear my work boots, but I learned a trick back when trying to keep toddler's shoes tied. After tying, take the 2 loops, and tie an overhand knot with the loops. It shortens the loops and I haven't had a workbook come untied in over 20 years, using this method. It takes a little more effort to get them off, but if I'm real nice, sometimes Janis will help. :D

Ride Safe
John and Janis

I pushed my left foot down hard. I can't remember if it came untied or off the shifter. Anyway I figured I had bent or broke my shifter or shoelace, but no damage. I learned a lesson and am still mindful of it today.
An early riding lesson I learned too. Came to a stop at a light, found my boot string tangled on the shifter and pushed my foot down hard to break the boot string. Adrenalin was running high!

STurgisSTeele

When did I become the "Old Man"!?
Bike
01 ST1100A (RIP)
STOC #
I too, often wear my work boots, but I learned a trick back when trying to keep toddler's shoes tied. After tying, take the 2 loops, and tie an overhand knot with the loops. It shortens the loops and I haven't had a workbook come untied in over 20 years, using this method. It takes a little more effort to get them off, but if I'm real nice, sometimes Janis will help. :D

Ride Safe
John and Janis
Same here when I wear a certain pair of leather shoes. (During the move, I misplaced my riding boots. Drats!)

Peace and All Good

Bike
2010 ST1300
Its not only shoe laces. I've had my mc pants snag on the foot peg when stopping. Can't have anything loose down there at all!

Bike
2006 ST1300A
2024 Miles
Gee reminds me of my younger days when I went everywhere on a 10 speed bicycle. That chain would suck in laces or pants. I now always tuck the loops and tails from the laces under the laces back toward the toes. I made a 12 inch velcro strap that I put around my pant leg.

MC Boots would be better but I need to find a breathable (mesh) MC boot to keep my feet dry and cool.... Not Gortex - I do not need waterproof. I live and ride in the SoCal coastal desert. I do not ride the 10 days it rains here. I am stuck using fabric mesh breathable hiking boots with laces (not waterproof).. I can feel the air flowing through my hiking boots! [my ankles are primarily protected by the awesome front and rear crash bars on the ST1300 - A feature that protected me twice during parking lot tip overs]

Hint - We need full MESH breathable MC Boots.....

Bike
07 Yamaha FJR1300AE
+1 Stuff the strings into the top of the boots. I have two pairs of motorcycle-specific boots that have laces and that's what I do.
There have been several times over the years when a shoelace brought me down hard to the dirt or pavement. Luckily that was on a XR650L and not the ST or FJR. A smart person would have learned the first time. I think it took me three times.

Bike
2006 ST1300A
2024 Miles
I wasn't aware because I never had a need for mesh boots but apparently they exist!!
Firstgear Mesh Hi Boots

Who ever designed those boot does not understand where the air needs to flow..... NOT what I would look for in a mesh boot.

Bike
ST1300
Buy a cheap blousing garter (elastic band with velcro ends) from Amazon to pin your laces against your boots

STurgisSTeele

When did I become the "Old Man"!?
Bike
01 ST1100A (RIP)
STOC #
This pushed me to go and get some boots. No more laces!

Peace and All Good

Bike
ST1300A
STOC #
ALMOST had a tip over today when I stopped at a light. My left shoe string had gotten tangled into my shifter lever. I went to put my foot down and suddenly could not free my foot and put it on the pavement. Luckily and quickly I shifted my weight and cheeks off to the right side of the bike and touched down there while wrestling the bike to stay upright. The shoe string entanglement was not bad. It was just unexpected to the point it could have been problematic and certainly got my attention quickly.
I had a different variation. I wear motorcycle boots with laces and zippers up the inside. The zip gives you quick off and on access - not relevant... I usually use the heel of my left boot to push the side stand down when parking. On this occasion though, the heel had worn thin and it is hollow inside, such that the spike on the side stand punched through what was left of the heel and hooked itself in the hollow. It was sheer brute strength to pull my boot off the spike before it toppled too far. Could have been nasty as the weight of the bike would have pinned me under it with no escape. Guess who now has new boots !

Top Bottom