Speaking of Voltage Regulators/Rectifiers.........

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
I have been acquiring spares for my 1991 1100 since I refurbished it back in the Fall. The voltage regulator is a likely suspect for an inconvenient failure . I looked on Ebay for used, low mileage VRR's and noticed a version with cooling fins integral to the case, which looks like a better idea than the stock unit.
Anyone tried these? Comments/concerns?

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
I have been acquiring spares for my 1991 1100 since I refurbished it back in the Fall. The voltage regulator is a likely suspect for an inconvenient failure . I looked on Ebay for used, low mileage VRR's and noticed a version with cooling fins integral to the case, which looks like a better idea than the stock unit.
Linky?

OP
OP
Oldbikefixr
Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
Sorry....can't get the link to work. It's the Electrosport VRR, looks like plug and play on the ST1100. Item number 2a62ddc862. It does not look like the generic MOSFET regulators also on Ebay.

Bike
St1100, XV1600
I have used the type you mention and managed to mount it in the same place as the original although had to snap of some parts of the cooling fins with no ill effect on the VR.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Simply apply a lump of CPU cooler paste onto the contact patch/metal surface facing the footrest plate (actually already serving as heat-sink!) if you want to improve heat dissipation on the OEM VRR...

Normally overheating isn't the problem on the 26A VRR, corroded/toasted wiring/connectors are the culprit. The increase of resistance on a bad crimp/connector can produce so much heat, that the prongs on the VRR-casing melt though the resin; eventually heat could transfer further inward, destroying Silicone components, but a number of other electrical Gremlins will raise their head long before that...

Bike
1993 ST 1100
Would this part cause a regular volt meter to show 12.2 volts weather there is a load or no load on the bike? I purchased the bike and the battery was toast but with a jump the bike would run so this tole me the alternator is not completely gone. I have replaced the battery, cleaned connectors and they are good and tight. I crank the bike and let it warm up and put meter on there and its the same just low?

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
Would this part cause a regular volt meter to show 12.2 volts weather there is a load or no load on the bike? I purchased the bike and the battery was toast but with a jump the bike would run so this tole me the alternator is not completely gone. I have replaced the battery, cleaned connectors and they are good and tight. I crank the bike and let it warm up and put meter on there and its the same just low?
12.2 V is below what a fully charged battery will show (12.8V), so you definitely are not getting enough voltage to the battery. I would suspect you have at least one coil out in the alternator, but you really do need to run a series of tests on the alternator to see if it is good. You can't test the VRR without the specific meters mentioned in the Honda Service Manual. If your alternator tests OK in all parameters, then you could assume the VRR is faulty. If you don't have one, find a copy of the manual to work from, or you can find lots of info on these tests in this forum.

Bike
1993 ST 1100
Don't know if this will help you or not since it isn't a direct answer to your question, but you may want to look at this thread:
https://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?21969-91-ST1100-Alternator-Problems/page3
Actually it did Don B. I was trying to figure out why everyone was converting to 40 amp alternators from 28 Amp, the 28 amp is ample to support the bike just not a lot of extra electrical add ons, I'm not a gadget guy,I'm to easily distracted so phone charger and bluetooth for navigation, maybe grip heaters but would consider deflectors first. When I called my local Honda dealer the tech said it could be the rectifier, so I started reading more and came across this thread. I'm trying hard to no start another" whats wrong with my charging system" thread. I appreciate you leading me to that. I'm not quite ready to dig into this machine yet so might hand it over to Honda for this and dig later. This is a new to me bike and wanting to know I can trust it before I head out.

Bike
1993 ST 1100
12.2 V is below what a fully charged battery will show (12.8V), so you definitely are not getting enough voltage to the battery. I would suspect you have at least one coil out in the alternator, but you really do need to run a series of tests on the alternator to see if it is good. You can't test the VRR without the specific meters mentioned in the Honda Service Manual. If your alternator tests OK in all parameters, then you could assume the VRR is faulty. If you don't have one, find a copy of the manual to work from, or you can find lots of info on these tests in this forum.
Thanks Bush, I did get a manual with the bike and just getting started on reading thru the forum to see what I need to be checking along with the stuff I would not think to check. Before posting to this thread I called my local Honda store and talked to the tech and he is thinking rectifier but said he would need to diagnose, just to get me up and running cause I want to trust the bike and get a feel for it( I have rode it 6 miles total). After ATVs for the last 15 years this older ST is a lot more complicated. I appreciate the information and answering my question, As I told Don B I just did not want to start another alternator thread.

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
Thanks Bush, I did get a manual with the bike and just getting started on reading thru the forum to see what I need to be checking along with the stuff I would not think to check. Before posting to this thread I called my local Honda store and talked to the tech and he is thinking rectifier but said he would need to diagnose, just to get me up and running cause I want to trust the bike and get a feel for it( I have rode it 6 miles total). After ATVs for the last 15 years this older ST is a lot more complicated. I appreciate the information and answering my question, As I told Don B I just did not want to start another alternator thread.
You could save yourself the dealer's labour charge for troubleshooting this quite easily, since you confirm you have the manual. The only alternator test not shown in the manual is the dynamic AC output test for each of the three alternator coils. This tests the actual AC voltage being put out from each winding and is measured by disconnecting the red 3 point connector that runs between the alt and VRR, while the engine is running and comparing the AC (not DC) voltages between the three yellow wires. All should read somewhere over 25 volts AC and also all should be within a few volts of each other. Your test probes are placed variously between the three wires, on the alternator side of the connector, of course.

My previous '95 model alternator showed good on all the tests in the manual, even though I was only getting about 13 VDC at the battery. The dynamic test showed two coils at 25 volts AC, but the third at only 18 volts AC. This led me to believe that one coil had suffered some melting of the insulating wire resin somewhere in that coil, which did not produce a short to ground, but did reduce the output potential of that coil.

Given you just bought this bike, shame on the previous owner if he knew he had a charging problem before he sold you the bike.

Last edited:
Bike
92 ST1100
Nope.......but if you'll clean the backside of them real good and also clean that thick mounting plate, they will never be an issue........unless one chooses to not unplug and clean both ends of that large connector from the VR.
As a hint, that mounting plate for the regulator was made thick, as it IS a heat-sink for the regulator(my 92ST regulator and charging system was NEVER an issue!).

Top Bottom