R/H Swing Arm Pivot Bolt Coming Loose?

Bike
2012 ST1300
I've had my bike since new and have always stared at it like a love struck school boy. I thought I remembered every inch of her, outside the plastics anyways :( I thought I remembered the bolt looking snug to the frame. Awhile back I thought I noticed a very slight gap, now it seems the gap has gotten larger!

IMG_20160607_192428.jpg The gap is .076 I was going to re-torque but only have a 17mm. I have probably 2 more months having to commute 125 miles a day, which leads me to ask, is this normal or is the bolt coming out? Should I keep my butt off the bike and consider myself lucky?! Or am I coo coo and that's the way they all are all the time GO RIDE!

Can't get L/H side pic to upload but it's pretty much flush with frame and white safety marks are still lined up with each other.

Thanks,

OP
OP
Runner
Bike
2012 ST1300
I have a manual and can easily pick up the right size allen socket tomorrow to re-torque, but with nearly 45k on the bike now and still with warranty should I take it back to the dealer and have them thoroughly check bike over. Or is a simple re-torque fine?

Byron

STOC #
Since it is under warranty I would take it in and have it fully inspected and corrected.

OP
OP
Runner
Bike
2012 ST1300
Thank you Byron, I think that's a good idea too. I'll call them tomorrow about getting it to them. Thanks.

OP
OP
Runner
Bike
2012 ST1300
The more I think about it I wonder if I should even ride it to them, they are 60 miles away. Think they'll send a truck for it covered under warranty?

v8-7

Site Supporter
I would buy the tool tighten it up and ride it in....maybe check it halfway to the dealer to be safe though.

Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
No tendency to weave while riding? Just curious. Also, any play you can feel by hand, trying to push the tire side to side?

I know if it was mine, I couldn't resist putting a wrench to it, to get a feel about it being loose or frozen and have some basis towards what a dealer might tell me later. But probably wiser to leave it alone.

OP
OP
Runner
Bike
2012 ST1300
No tendency to weave while riding? Just curious. Also, any play you can feel by hand, trying to push the tire side to side?

I know if it was mine, I couldn't resist putting a wrench to it, to get a feel about it being loose or frozen and have some basis towards what a dealer might tell me later. But probably wiser to leave it alone.
No weave, haven't tried moving side to side. I have wiggled the bars while riding and she feels wiggly. One thing is it does feel like it's going down the road sideways! I've tried sitting different but feels the same. Sitting at dealer now they said tighten it and drop it off to them tomorrow or pay for a tow myself. I want to ride just don't want get hurt or worse doing it. Opinions?

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
This is what I experienced last year when dealing with my 2010 and the dealer. When something is bad, they put the own-ess on you first, then Honda covers things that are proven failed. My ABS system was failing (light stayed on all the time). Their solution was for me to "Purchase" a new computer (@ round $1,100) then they would install it and test to see if that fixed the problem. If it did, then they would send the old unit to Honda for testing. Once Honda tests it, and determines if it was a faulty part, then they will cover it. In my case, since the bike was in an accident, I didn't trust Honda to cover it. So I decided not to have them fix it. A few months later I came across one on eBay and that fixed my ABS! That was only $200!

So, my interpretation of them telling you to either tighten it up and ride it in, or tow it in, I would rent a trailer and take it to them with the nut loose. If you touch it, they just might put a torque wrench to it and say it's fine. They might do that anyway, but I would insist they exam those bearings first! And insist that they should cover those charges (labor to examine the bearings) since that bolt was loose.

Every dealer is different on how they work with their customers, let's hope yours is one of the good ones!

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Order the tool and follow he service manual, that way you know it will be done correctly! The shop may not follow the correct procedure and you will not know if they did or not.
Look at the left side nut, is the white paint Mark straight or crooked?

OP
OP
Runner
Bike
2012 ST1300
This is what I experienced last year when dealing with my 2010 and the dealer. When something is bad, they put the own-ess on you first, then Honda covers things that are proven failed. My ABS system was failing (light stayed on all the time). Their solution was for me to "Purchase" a new computer (@ round $1,100) then they would install it and test to see if that fixed the problem. If it did, then they would send the old unit to Honda for testing. Once Honda tests it, and determines if it was a faulty part, then they will cover it. In my case, since the bike was in an accident, I didn't trust Honda to cover it. So I decided not to have them fix it. A few months later I came across one on eBay and that fixed my ABS! That was only $200!

So, my interpretation of them telling you to either tighten it up and ride it in, or tow it in, I would rent a trailer and take it to them with the nut loose. If you touch it, they just might put a torque wrench to it and say it's fine. They might do that anyway, but I would insist they exam those bearings first! And insist that they should cover those charges (labor to examine the bearings) since that bolt was loose.

Every dealer is different on how they work with their customers, let's hope yours is one of the good ones!
Thanks Saber, Star City in Lincoln seems to be a good dealer but I have yet to deal with something like this with them. The warranty I have left is part of the service package I purchased with bike. So I might as well let them do. Plus I agree with what you said, if I tighten it and it crunches the bearings or messes anything else up they could blame me. Not sure how that would all turn out. Will let ya know.

OP
OP
Runner
Bike
2012 ST1300
Order the tool and follow he service manual, that way you know it will be done correctly! The shop may not follow the correct procedure and you will not know if they did or not.
Look at the left side nut, is the white paint Mark straight or crooked?
Igofar I totally understand what you are saying about know the work was done right by myself. My service package ended in March and I've been gathering the right tools to start doing work myself, even a HF bike lift. I too prefer that way. But like I told SupraSaber if I'm paying for extended warranty they might as well do it. I stopped and picked up the tool to tighten myself and ride to them but now I'm thinking of just hauling it to them.

Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
...... I'm thinking of just hauling it to them.
Probably the safest: May be better to have a good look at the bearing first, as Supra said, before torquing up.

They will have to loosen up LH Locking Nut and Bolt as RH has to be torqued up first. Might as well have a look at the LH bearing too.

You could ask them to let you have a look at the Pivot Bolts and Bearings and Surfaces before they put it back together.

If the Bolt was correctly torqued up to 80 ft-lb to begin with (maybe it wasn't), there has to be some damage for the Bolt to back off (Threads or galling).

OP
OP
Runner
Bike
2012 ST1300
I'm not riding this thing anywhere! The wheel/ swing arm moves big time to the left (standing behind bike) the R/H pivot bolt moves right along with it!! The bolt is barely more than finger tight! The swing arm does not appear to move when trying to push to the right. The L/H pivot bolt does not move and seems tight. The white marks look just the slightest off from each other if at all. Pic wont upload.

I'm heading over my brothers to pick up truck I'll just haul it down there and drop it off to them.

I'll let ya know how things go tomorrow after I try to insist they check EVERYTHING!

I'm very thankful it never came out while riding!

I'll keep updated

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
If the bike was crabbing like you said, I would also check the condition of the flange bearings in the rear wheel, and the rear wheel bearings as well.
I am guessing your flange bearings are toasted due to the swing arm bolt shifting things around.

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
...if I'm paying for extended warranty they might as well do it.
You may not get this covered under warranty since checking and re-torquing the fasteners is a maintenance item due at 600 miles and then intervals of 8,000.

--Mark

OP
OP
Runner
Bike
2012 ST1300
You may not get this covered under warranty since checking and re-torquing the fasteners is a maintenance item due at 600 miles and then intervals of 8,000.

--Mark
I bought this bike out of the box from them and THEY have done every maintenance item there is. I bought THEIR SERVICE PACKAGE. I have every record of everything that has ever been done to this bike. Which is what I thought of last night, THEY SHOULD HAVE CAUGHT THIS! Which I will def. bring to their attn. today.

Top Bottom