R/H Swing Arm Pivot Bolt Coming Loose?

OP
OP
Runner
Bike
2012 ST1300
Got off work early today and decided to go back and talk to the manager of the whole place. Explained the situation, he seemed shocked and a little irritated. Knew exactly what I was saying about his mech. talking to much and NOT listening, saying that's his biggest problem. But still thinks the mech. is a good mech. that made a mistake. I told him how I got no paper work back and he looked confused saying I should get papers anytime my bike comes in.

First he asked if he buys the parts did I want to do the work myself? Or have a different mech. replace the bearings, bolts all of it and make damn sure it's right this time. Then he tells me my extended warranty IS through Honda and he's going to try and see if he can do a warranty claim. I told him your mechs. told me it WAS done under warranty! Shakes his head and assured me he will get it fixed right this time with new parts.

So now I'm waiting on a call from him on Tuesday, we'll see what happens then.

One more thing, I told him I was consulting my manual my brother and ST-Owners. Explained to him this is not a first year crotch rocket some teenagers are telling me about. These guys have been riding and repairing these bikes since the ST-1100 came out and know what they are talking about, I trust their advice. :bow1:

I'll let you know what happens on Tuesday......

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
I told him I was consulting ... ST-Owners.
Oh, crud, now you've done it! :D

Good luck with those guys. If you're handy enough with a wrench, write the whole thing off and do the work yourself. The only way you're going to know if it was done right is to supervise it, and it'll eat up a lot less of your time if you didn't have to do so much back-and-forth to the dealer.

--Mark

Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
If you ever decide to let them install the parts and retorque, please make sure they understand the importance of torquing RH first.

RH Pivot is like a "stop". It doesn't load up the bearings because there is no Pivot on the LH to push against (unless of course they have installed the LH Pivot first....!). The make up torque of the RH Pivot Bolt goes towards clamping the head of the bolt against the frame.

The LH Pivot Bolt doesn't have a head. It is locked in place with a separate lock nut. There is no head to it so it can be screwed in as far as it needs to be for loading up the bearings (it will push against the LH Bearing that will push against the Swing Arm that will push the RH Bearing against the RH Pivot "stop"). So all the bearings loading is done from the LH, after installing the RH "stop". This is why the sequence is important.

Also note that if the LH is overtorqued, it is no only overloading the bearings, but also jacking/spreading the frame apart! One more reason to go easy on it.....and maybe also to do it yourself....!

OP
OP
Runner
Bike
2012 ST1300
I did tell him I would let them do it if I could watch and I hold HIM accountable! No lie he laughed and said he's not sure the mech. would like that. I'm just going to see if they'll buy the parts and can get them quicker than me. If not I'll just order them myself and get on with it.

Let ya know on Tues. and will post pics of my hot rod while I fixer up!

OP
OP
Runner
Bike
2012 ST1300
Oh, crud, now you've done it! :D

Good luck with those guys. If you're handy enough with a wrench, write the whole thing off and do the work yourself. The only way you're going to know if it was done right is to supervise it, and it'll eat up a lot less of your time if you didn't have to do so much back-and-forth to the dealer.

--Mark
I know they don't like when guys come in there talking about "I was told on-line" but I don't care what they think anymore. Besides this is ST-Owners.com jack! :D

Last edited:
Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A
If you ever decide to let them install the parts and retorque, please make sure they understand the importance of torquing RH first.

RH Pivot is like a "stop". It doesn't load up the bearings because there is no Pivot on the LH to push against (unless of course they have installed the LH Pivot first....!). The make up torque of the RH Pivot Bolt goes towards clamping the head of the bolt against the frame.

The LH Pivot Bolt doesn't have a head. It is locked in place with a separate lock nut. There is no head to it so it can be screwed in as far as it needs to be for loading up the bearings (it will push against the LH Bearing that will push against the Swing Arm that will push the RH Bearing against the RH Pivot "stop"). So all the bearings loading is done from the LH, after installing the RH "stop". This is why the sequence is important.

Also note that if the LH is overtorqued, it is no only overloading the bearings, but also jacking/spreading the frame apart! One more reason to go easy on it.....and maybe also to do it yourself....!
:plus1:

Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A
Sounds like he is still letting the mechanic do what he wants.
I could tell you horror story's about GM's and owners who swear up and down the team did it correctly...when in fact they lied and just told the customer what he wanted to hear, then had a good laugh about it after the customer left.
I say let them buy the parts (all) of them, including the tools, then do it yourself.
I would find a different dealership as well.
Sounds like management and service staff don't even know what the correct service procedure is!

OP
OP
Runner
Bike
2012 ST1300
Well it's been business 2 days and no call from the smiling face ( the head guy Casey at Star City Motorsports in Lincoln NE.) that said I'm priority! Don't care at this point.......I have all the parts in the basket at RonAyers I can't seem to find the locking nut wrench other than what looks like a home made one on E-Bay for $85! Anyone know where to get one before I check out at R.A.? If they cost that much maybe I can rent one? Don't imagine I'll need one that often.

Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A
Call Ronayers on the phone and give them the part number for the tool I gave you. It won't be on their diagram, but they can look it up because it is a genuine Honda part (tool).
You may also be able to borrow a loaner from someone on the forum who may be close to you.

OP
OP
Runner
Bike
2012 ST1300
Ordered my parts on the June 22 didn't here anything from ronayers so sent them a e-mail. I get a e-mail yesterday saying they sent the parts they had minus one pivot bolt, not saying which one. It is on back order until the 14th of July.

I also asked about the lock nut wrench they say check with a dealer......

I've been riding, had new T30s mounted yesterday bike feels good and everything is still tight so I'm going to keep riding until all the parts get here and then replace.

Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A
Try a couple different places like revzilla or bikebandit, sounds like you got a parts counter kid and not the normal parts person.
I've never been told to try a dealer when ordering tools from them?
Sorry your having trouble finding the tool.

acedantinne

Site Supporter
Bike
04-st1300, 15-1200RT
STOC #
Ordered my parts on the June 22 didn't here anything from ronayers so sent them a e-mail. I get a e-mail yesterday saying they sent the parts they had minus one pivot bolt, not saying which one. It is on back order until the 14th of July.

I also asked about the lock nut wrench they say check with a dealer......

I've been riding, had new T30s mounted yesterday bike feels good and everything is still tight so I'm going to keep riding until all the parts get here and then replace.
I have the Honda shop tools needed to drive/center the flange bearings. Yes both driver & pilot bushing.

I have a Honda shop tools for the swing arm for the ST1300. I'm in Pa. Send me a PM or call my cell phone 610-751-4581. Ace/bob

Last edited:
OP
OP
Runner
Bike
2012 ST1300
I have the Honda shop tools needed to drive/center the flange bearings. Yes both driver & pilot bushing.

I have a Honda shop tools for the swing arm for the ST1300. I'm in Pa. Send me a PM or call my cell phone 610-751-4581. Ace/bob
Thank you Ace! I failed to mention another shop manager from S.City called and offered to reimburse me for parts cost which was cool. But when I asked him about the wrench he said normally they don't lend tools but in this case -IF- they have one they will loan it to me. I'm pretty sure they told me they went through the whole procedure last time they had my bike!

I received everything today except the RH bolt, back order until July 14th so I'll call them before that to see if they have a wrench to loan me, if not I'll give you a call.

Thanks Again,
Don

OP
OP
Runner
Bike
2012 ST1300
Try a couple different places like revzilla or bikebandit, sounds like you got a parts counter kid and not the normal parts person.
I've never been told to try a dealer when ordering tools from them?
Sorry your having trouble finding the tool.
No big deal Igofar, we'll get it done thanks! :)

Top Bottom