Good to know that the 'code' still exists and is live and well

Bike
ST1100Y
STOC #
So, I wanted to share this with you guys, cause it makes me glad to be a biker/motorcycle enthusiast/whatever...

The wife and I met my sister and her new husband on their Ultra classic in Eureka Springs for a riding vacation. We came in on 62, and actually followed them about 15 miles before realizing it was actually 'them'..HA!, how funny is that? We spent the next 3 days dodging rain, and running the majority of awesome roads the area has to offer. The ones that really made an impression on me were hwy 7, 21, and 23. What a great ride, pretty much never a dull moment if you like twisties. Even with rain all around us, we only had to break out the rain gear for about 30 minutes. And that was riding about 250 miles/day.

We parted ways saturday morning, and the wife and I decided to run around Mark Twain national forest just to check it out. Cool ride, just not 'as' cool. After that we jumped on hwy 37, to head toward home. So we turn onto 37 at cassville, where the wife notices tire remnants on the road from presumably a semi. We get up to about 70 and all the sudden the wind really picks up.

At this point I'm thinking, "Wait...that doesn't feel like the wind...." So I slow down a little, and then it makes sense. Flat tire! Great...a 1/3 of the way home, and my gamble to not buy a flat tire kit, even though I had one in my hand a week prior, bites me in the rear. Now we're sitting on the hwy, a really busy hwy for being pretty much out in the middle of nowhere I might add, and about 3 feet off the road with maybe another 2 feet of shoulder left. There's a drive way about 100 yards ahead, which would make it a lot less nerve wracking to be working on a bike. I jump back on, and tell the wife to walk behind me while I idle up to the drive way. Just as I figured....I didn't get 5 feet, and the tire goes ahead and de-beads the rest of the way. Crap! Figures! We sit there while I figure out our options, and this new white explorer pulls up with a mid 50's lady driving it. She's more than willing to help, and actually goes to wal-mart to buy us a plug kit. It must not have been her first rodeo, cause she told me she would try to get the orange plugs. Those of you intimately familiar with plugging tires, know what that means, LOL! The orange ones are the good ones, for those not 'fortunate' enough to have experience. While waiting, a guy in a green chevy truck pulls up and asks if we wanted him to go get his trailer, so we could fix the tire at his garage. I politely declined since we had parts coming. So she comes back, with the kit AND a can of fix-a-flat. I plug the tire, and start filling it with the fix-a-flat. Of course that ain't gonna work, cause the beads are off of the rim. So she gives me a ride to the nearest gas station about 5 miles away, so I can get some air. Why gas stations think that paying $1.50 for 2 minutes of air is fair is beyond me. I try to get air in the tire. Doesn't work, cause the valve stem is still in it so it won't fill fast enough. Crap! There's 2 dudes sitting there on their Harleys, so I ask them if they happen to have a valve stem remover type cap on one of their wheels. Turns out one does, and he lets me use it. So I start filling the tire with the stem removed and as soon as the beads pop back on, the air compressor stops. Nice! So I dig around in my pocket for more quarters, and can only find one since this stupid thing already robbed me of a $1.50. The lady pulls out a bunch of quarters which apparently was her car wash stash to get me going again. Finally the tire has 38 psi in it again, and we head back to install it. Told her I was pretty sure I had it from there, and she left, and WOULD NOT let me pay her for anything. She even made the wife take a cold powerade that I refused repeatedly!

While putting the wheel back on the bike, a Street Glide pulls up behind me. Told him I thought I had it all under control, other than not having a knife to cut the plug flush. He didn't have one either, but come to find out, he lived around our home town in the 60's. Hell of a nice guy. So then ANOTHER guy on a softail pulls up behind that guy. Guess he was headed to work, but DID have a knife for me to use. The two fellers left, and I was re-installing all the luggage, when a third guy and his ole lady came pulling up asking if we needed help. At this point, I'm feeling really proud to be on two wheels.

Coming from mainly a Harley back ground, and working at a Harley dealership for 10 years, I've heard all sorts of comments from one spectrum to the other concerning 'metric' bikes. I think people squawk and talk a big game, but when it comes down to it, the majority WILL give you the shirt off their back to get you going when you're down and out.

I don't know..this story is a little long winded, but its an experience that'll stick with me for a long time, and thought I should share for the hope that YOU stop and help a fellow rider!

Frank

Last edited:

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
Thanks for sharing that Frank... gives some needed affirmation that there are many good people still out there. Glad you got it home. :)

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
Thanks......makes one feel good! Thanks for the happy moment.

ToddC

Bike
No bike
STOC #
Thank you for sharing! It's awesome that people are still willing to help! I think you're right its a two wheel club not a metric vs. Harley thing...

Bike
2018 NC750X
STOC #
Good report, thanks for sharing! I really feel that anyone who rides a lot realizes that it could happen to them... bottom line, treat folks like you would want to be treated!

nerSTeve

Vendor
Bike
2007 ST1300A
STOC #
Awesome story, stealing and sharing in another group...

Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
Thanks for sharing this Frank. All too often we hear about the "not so nice" people doing not so nice things, while I believe that there are so many MORE nice people doing nice things that we don't hear about. It always pays to "pay it forward" when and where we can!

slmjim

Hopeless Tool Junkie
Derby City - Home of The Louisville Slugger
Bike
Which one today...?
We were in the middle of nowhere outside of Great Bend, KS on a Sunday morning when we got an unrepairable puncture on the rear of our ST1300. AMA roadside assistance dispatched a flatbed to assist. The driver knew someone who knew someone who came into L&L Motorsports in Great Bend on a Sun. morning, replaced the rear tire and got us on our way less that 4 hrs. after we came to a stop with the flat. Enthusiast-to-enthusiast, that's what the code is all about. When we got home I sent them a custom Louisville Slugger bat I had made for them as a thank you.

Good Ridin'
slmjim

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Great story and glad you guys were helped out like that. Makes it nice to know that there are those out there that will stop and help.

OP
OP
Bueller
Bike
ST1100Y
STOC #
Glad you all enjoyed it. It just capped off a great first voyage on the ST, and a first 'real' vacation the wife and I got to spend on a bike. I am kind of miffed at myself for not exchanging names with any of these fine people. Was just focused on getting going again, I guess...

Frank

Bike
2007 ST1300A
I once pulled over to get my headset working again when all of a sudden I hear this loud , extremely loud chopped up,bobbed, ape hangered Harley guy pull in behind me and ask if I was okay. I pointed to the headset gave him the thumbs up said thanks and he roars off with a nod.

Once coming home I had a pack of about 8 Harleys pass me. I was only about five miles from my exit and thought "what the heck" so I picked up their tail and ran with them. Normally I would do 80 in a 65 through there and they were running 90 so I kept a tad of distance behind, wondering if I was welcome or not. Well I get to my exit and peel off as they all noticed and gave me the thumbs up! These were not older gents on Glides either.

It's great to see that some people do realize it's not what you chose to ride, but that you ARE riding!

Top Bottom