Clutch plates bluing and some noise.

Bike
ST1100AN
My bike keeps making clapping or ticking noise. I opened clutch recently and I found out that some clutch plates are slightly blued because of the heat. Those plates most likely have nothing to do with that sound but does that bluing has some other effects in clutch working.

Another thing which makes some sound is that clutch discs and clutch crown have about 0,75 mm clearance when measuring between that shoulder structure of the disc and clutch crown. Could new clutch plates and discs quit clapping sound from the clutch? In the other hand, discs do have good surfaces. They have been about 20 000-30 000 miles on the road.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Bluish steel-plates are a serious sign for a slipping clutch...
Best start by replacing friction- & contact-plates now.
Dunno if the clutch-springs have sagged or which other culprits lead to slipping clutch, thus also check hydraulic components while at it, since you've to replace the brake fluid in there anyway after such overheating disaster.

OP
OP
STonewall
Bike
ST1100AN
Hydraulics are gone... slave cylinder is leaking and I'm going to replace the plates and the discs. Springs are not good either. So I'll replace them as well.

Top Bottom