Wrench observations & fix

Bike
1995 ST1100
STOC #
I don't know if this will be OK to keep in this Group, but I wanted to share an observation and a tool fix this weekend that might help you too.

I have an old Craftsman 1/2" ratcheting wrench I've owned since I was 18 some 33 years ago. It stopped working properly over a year ago and I put it aside since there wasn't a Sears near us anymore. I stumbled across an article online that said Craftsman generally repaired wrenches instead of handing you a new one, so I got curious and opened it up. It turns out the grease inside had dried up and that's why it wouldn't stay in position properly any more. 5 minutes with some solvent and a pick, some fresh lube and reassembled and it feels like new. I have an old 3/8" that might be in the same boat which I'll check out next. I must be getting old as my tools have dried up grease just like some of the antiques I work on. :)

So if you have an old ratchet wrench that doesn't work right, open it up, it might just be crusty!

Last edited:
Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
That's one reason why I like Snap On. I just keep the damaged item in my car and wait until I see a Snap On truck driving around and follow him to his next stop. Done that a couple of times.

Bike
2006 ST1300
I have Craftsman tools that are over 40 years old, and have had more than a few replaced...however, the last two times I have tried to get them replaced, they handed me "refurbished" tools, which I have no problem with, except for the fact that both of the tools ( 1/4" ratchets) were non-functional for actual use. Both worked ok with no load, but under use, both just slipped. I'll take something to try them on next time!

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
...turns out the grease inside had dried up and that's why it wouldn't stay in position properly any more...
SOP to "service" them tools like once a year... ;-)
Give all a good wipe down, some acid free oil for conservation, clean and grease the ratchet mechanisms, a drop of chuck care oil on the joints of pliers, etc... (let's not start on power-tools now...)

And throw away anything that's broken, worn, damaged or otherwise not serving properly anymore... risk of injury, risk of damaging (expensive) bike parts...

Bike
2010 ST1300
Craftsman tools are no longer USA made. They are now produced by the lowest bidder. I replaced some craftsman wrenches I had stolen due to my own negligence with what I thought were same. The replacements were made in UAE. Noticeable difference in weight and quality. Won't be purchasing any more tools from Sears.

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
Craftsman tools are no longer USA made. They are now produced by the lowest bidder. I replaced some craftsman wrenches I had stolen due to my own negligence with what I thought were same. The replacements were made in UAE. Noticeable difference in weight and quality. Won't be purchasing any more tools from Sears.
I recently bought my first US made car in decades (2013 Mustang GT) and discovered I was woefully deficient of SAE tools. Headed off to my local Sears where I discovered all of the Craftsman branded tools were now made in China. When sales droid walked up to see if he could help, I expressed my disappointment with this. He he offered that their lifetime hand tool free replacement guarantee still applied however. I dug around a bit more and was able to find what I believe was an old stock set of 3/8" drive, SAE sockets that were made in USA and I bought those. I've since learned that Harbor Freight, Lowe's (Kobalt) & Home Depot (SK) all have the same lifetime guarantee for their tools which are also all mostly Chinese made and selling for considerably lower prices. I see no reason to pay the Craftsman premium any more. The Harbor Freight store is closer to my house anyway.

Oh and thanks for the tip on refurbishing and old ratchet, I've got a few of them myself.

Bike
2010 ST1300
I recently bought my first US made car in decades (2013 Mustang GT) and discovered I was woefully deficient of SAE tools. Headed off to my local Sears where I discovered all of the Craftsman branded tools were now made in China. When sales droid walked up to see if he could help, I expressed my disappointment with this. He he offered that their lifetime hand tool free replacement guarantee still applied however. I dug around a bit more and was able to find what I believe was an old stock set of 3/8" drive, SAE sockets that were made in USA and I bought those. I've since learned that Harbor Freight, Lowe's (Kobalt) & Home Depot (SK) all have the same lifetime guarantee for their tools which are also all mostly Chinese made and selling for considerably lower prices. I see no reason to pay the Craftsman premium any more. The Harbor Freight store is closer to my house anyway.

Oh and thanks for the tip on refurbishing and old ratchet, I've got a few of them myself.
I was at HF today exchanging my tire changer for the second time and pick up an open box set of socket allens because they included the 17mm for the front axel. The store manager discounted the price from 12 to 5 due to one missing that I didn't need. I do like the Kobolt tools better than the new crapsman.

OP
OP
dkruitz
Bike
1995 ST1100
STOC #
We don't have a valid Sears within 20 miles of us, so tool exchange is not convenient nowadays. I am seriously thinking about changing out my old 12 point Metric craftsman sockets for 6-point socket from either HF or Cobalt. Comments from anyone who has both?

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Using the Kobalt 6 points in my ST toolkit. Read a review in Home Handyman (I think) that compared the different brands of non-professional and Kobalt was ranked up there. Don't think the engraving for the sizes is very good, but the two years I've been using them on the bike they work well.

Don't think I could trust HF for them. Some of their stuff I'll use... sockets I'm refraining from.

Definitely recommended switching from 12 to 6pt, much better grip.

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
We don't have a valid Sears within 20 miles of us, so tool exchange is not convenient nowadays. I am seriously thinking about changing out my old 12 point Metric craftsman sockets for 6-point socket from either HF or Cobalt. Comments from anyone who has both?
What's the point in changing out anything that still works?

OP
OP
dkruitz
Bike
1995 ST1100
STOC #
What's the point in changing out anything that still works?
I've got two broken (8mm, 17mm) craftsman sockets and Sears stores are far and few between nowadays. But there's a Harbor Freight 6 miles away, a Home Depot 3 miles away, and a Lowes 8 miles away. Sears is at least 25 miles away.

Byron

STOC #
I remember going into Sears with a broke ratchet and watching the guy behind the counter disassemble and replace damaged internals to bring them back to life. I have a couple of older wrenches that are starting to fail and need repair but I'm afraid to to take them in because I heard they no longer replace damaged parts but simply replace with working wrench. The problem is, I like the design of the older wrenches and even though the newer ones work, they're just not the same. :(

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
I've used Snap On, Mac, Matco, Wright, Proto, and craftsman for years. They all now have Chinese sister company's now, just the way the world is going I guess.
Since this thread was mostly about craftsman, I do have a comment that may help other folks.
Sears, Ace, Orchard, etc. will only carry the cheap import craftsman products because they can make more money selling them.
However, If you do a computer search of CRAFTSMAN INDUSTRIAL USE tools, you will find that the USA made Craftsman tools still exist, but the only sell them on line, or in certain tool stores.
They even have Black oxide wrenches and ratchets too. These tools with have the CRAFTSMAN INDUSTRIAL stamp and Forged in the USA on the handle.
These are the good old USA made stuff from years gone by.
They are also about the same price as the cheap import ones. I would rather order a tool and ship it back to get a USA made tool than be handed a cheap import that will break in a matter of hours.
IIRC the old craftsman tool company sold the whole lock stock and barrel to a different company, and uses the same tooling, and offers the same warranty, STANLEY TOOLS (ace hardware).
Be aware they too have imports and USA made sets so be careful which set you purchase.

Bike
2010 ST1300
I used to use Craftsman tools exclusively (about 25 years ago). Back then, I used their screwdrivers and when they broke or dulled, I returned them and swapped them for new ones. After a few years of this and many failed screw drivers, I realized that the time spent to take advantage of Sears' warranty was costing me money (time is money, they say) and I switched to Klein screwdrivers and never looked back. I still have more than a few of the old sockets and ratchets - they have never failed. Truly lifetime tools - but then, I'm not a mechanic using them daily.

Top Bottom