ST1100 Saddlebag Retention Lock

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
My two saddlebag locks are a bit rusty with peeling chrome, so, I bought a new pair.
They removed easily enough, just three 8mm nuts retained the latch to the forward end of the plastic retention brackets.
I removed the circlip from the back side of the lock, removed the little latch plate and the lock dropped out of the other side. The outer portion of the lock remains stuck inside of the latch assembly...looks like it should slip out the rear of the latch assembly. But, I can't see how it is retained. The Honda manual isn't much help.
What have I missed?

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
Not sure if I followed your work path there, but I know the key has to be inserted into the lock to enable removing it from the latch. Does that help?

OP
OP
Oldbikefixr
Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
Thanks for the comment. The lock is two-piece. Trying to move the locks over to the new latch assemblies so I can use the same key. The center portion of the lock is out. It popped right out once the latch and circlip were removed. Problem is that the outer 'core' of the lock is still in the latch housing This piece looks like a cylindrical bushing. It must come out the back side...I have used a light and magnifier and can't see where the catch is.

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
So can't you just put the barrel of the old lock into that outer core? I know I did this same barrel swap on mine once to keep the same key on a different saddlebag, but I can't remember all the wee details, but I know I had trouble getting something apart until I put the key in the lock. Also not sure where this peeling chrome you mentioned is??

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
Were the SB locks different on the early ST, as I now noticed you say your TWO locks are rusty? All ST's I've ever seen have four locks between two bags.

OP
OP
Oldbikefixr
Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
Were the SB locks different on the early ST, as I now noticed you say your TWO locks are rusty? All ST's I've ever seen have four locks between two bags.
The locks are fine, the chrome latch is more rusted than I care for. I did not buy locks for the new latches, mine are in fine shape. These are the retention latches that lock the bag to the frame, not the lid latches....so only two.

STraymond

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100
STOC #
Were you ever able to put the old lock cylinders into the new frame latches, and if so, what was the trick?

Ray

Top Bottom