Throttlemeister vs Cam-Lock comparison

Bike
2006 ST1300
Just an observation... I have now owned both the Throttlemeister and the Cam-Lock throttle lock devices on my Honda motorcycles. I am here to say there is no comparison on the ease of on and off operation. The Madco Cam-Lock wins hands down. It didn't take but one riding trip for me to make my decision. If I can get the old assembly back into the throttle boss, I will remove the throttlemeister.

Disclaimer...I do not have a stake in either company other than buying products from both.

http://www.madcorider.com/cam-lock_honda_cruisers.html

http://throttlemeister.com/

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
The Cam-Lock looks interesting. What keeps it in the proper orientation? I can't see a tab or other anchor unless it's that lug on the forward part of the C-L.

Can you go into the installation regarding the bar-end weight and throttle tube extension? I looked at the factory installation instructions and they didn't cover the ST. It's pricey at $125 compared to a Vista Cruise but it's a nice bit of kit.

OP
OP
milkmaster
Bike
2006 ST1300
The difference I found between the Cam-lock and Vista cruise is mostly quality of construction and better peformance. To install you remove the grip and slide the Cam-ock over the throttle boss. There is a tab that fits between the two throttle cables that keeps it from turning. A wrench is included to adjust the tightness once installed. The space taken up by the Cam-lock is made up by attaching a supplied piece to the end. The grip slides back onto the throttle boss as normal and is full length. The Cam-lock for my ST1300 is supposed to 7/8" I think instead of the 1" throttle boss like my cruiser bikes use. I sent an email to Madco and was told they do make Cam-locks for the St1300. I will put up some pictures when I get it installed. I am attaching some other pictures that may help you to understand. They are from my cruiser bikes but the principle is still the same.

My preference for the Cam-lock is because I can activate it with a simple flick of my thumb. The throttle on the ST1300 is sensitive, and I am finding myself having a little difficulty trying to keep the speed constant while getting the Throttlemeister set right. The throttlemiester seems to work perfectly other than that one issue I dislike.

Attachments

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Thanks for the info. I pretty much got the install procedure for the install but wasn't clear on the anchoring or bar end weights. You're correct: the ST bars use 7/8" grips etc. like most Metric bikes.

Your pics are super-clear and I now see how that lug on the front anchors the C-L. Did you polish the C-L? It looks even nicer on your bike then it does in their site pics. I want to see how the bar ends are mounted. I'm looking forward to pics of your ST install.

OP
OP
milkmaster
Bike
2006 ST1300
I did not polish the Cam-lock. However, for my St1300 I ordered the black version to match better.
Installing the spacer on the end weight... The kit will come with a spacer to go on the end of the throttle boss. The spacer will have the reliefs cut into them to match up with each side and a longer screw to reach and tighten down. The grip will be the same as before and cover the spacer. Is that a better explanation?

OP
OP
milkmaster
Bike
2006 ST1300
You can call the number on the website. The older guy who answers is very helpful and great at explaining any questions you have. He does not take credit cards. This will be my fourth Cam-Lock purchase. I usually print and fill out the form and mail it along with a check or money order. It takes a little time but I am in no hurry. I plan to keep the bike for a while :)

OP
OP
milkmaster
Bike
2006 ST1300
I tried the GO cruise for a temporary fix between selling my Throttlemeister and until I had time to install the Camlock. The Go cruise does work, but it is not as stable as the Camlock device. A matter of preference I guess.

Bike
2010 ST1300
I've had no problems adjusting my throttlemeister. As i roll the throttle on, i tighten the TM and thats all it takes. Now, I don't use the TM as a cruise control as much as something that gives me a few seconds at cruising speed before the bike begins slowing down. That way I can scratch my nose, or adjust the visor or whatever and put my hand back on the throttle before she loses speed.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
I've had no problems adjusting my throttlemeister. As i roll the throttle on, i tighten the TM and thats all it takes. Now, I don't use the TM as a cruise control as much as something that gives me a few seconds at cruising speed before the bike begins slowing down. That way I can scratch my nose, or adjust the visor or whatever and put my hand back on the throttle before she loses speed.
I'll agree. Nice and simple, clean install. For extended cruising I activate the cruise control, but for just a moment, the ThrottleMeister is so easy to turn on with just a roll-off of my hand from the grip. If I would need to adjust the throttle position it's just a simple twist of the throttle to the new setting. You don't need to decouple and reset the ThrottleMeister. It allows full throttle control while staying engaged. I can't understand how it would be difficult to adjust. I can understand not being able to activate it, some have a hard time with that motion, but once engaged, just turn the grip up or down to the new setting.

STrangr

Mike O.
Bike
2007 St-1300 Abs
STOC #
I finally thought to take some pictures of the Camlock installed
This looks really clean and simple. I have the TM installed and I love it. I have engaged it for long stretches of highway slab with no issues. I like that I can still control the throttle (E.G. slow down) even when it is engaged.
The only thing I am curious about the gap you have between the grip and the bar end. I didn't notice that on your cruiser.

OP
OP
milkmaster
Bike
2006 ST1300
The only thing I am curious about the gap you have between the grip and the bar end. I didn't notice that on your cruiser.
The cruiser has a different grip setup. There is no bar end weight on the cruiser. However there is a spacer that fits into the end of the grip on the cruise to extend it one half inch. The half inch comes from the width of the Camlock. That explain it good enough?

All that being said... This particular ST1300 has a larger gap between the grip and the end weight on both sides than the previous two ST1300 bikes I have owned. I have no idea why. It doesn't bother me, but it is different for some reason. You can see in the picture what the throttle boss insert looks like. I have it pushed in as far as depth allows. Go figure?

Maybe I am the only one who does this but, I have wide shoulders and typically I ride the ST1300 with two fingers each on the grip and the bar end weight. It helps stabilize the throttle to have part of my hand on a stationary part. I don't have a good excuse for doing that. I just find it comfortable. The bars on the ST1300 are much narrower than on my VTX 1800F3 cruiser.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
STrangr said:
I like that I can still control the throttle (E.G. slow down) even when it is engaged.
I'd expect that to be pretty much a condition of any throttle locking device. With practice anybody's chosen poison is released as second nature in normal circumstances. In an emergency situation you'd want to be able to roll off/close/open the throttle if need be without fighting the lock.

I'd suspect an installation problem with any lock that didn't allow the throttle to be shut without releasing the lock first.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I like the look of that Camlock, wonder if they make a version for the Cop switch? The cables are at the bottom of the switch and not the side like the stock ST1300s.

OP
OP
milkmaster
Bike
2006 ST1300
I like the look of that Camlock, wonder if they make a version for the Cop switch? The cables are at the bottom of the switch and not the side like the stock ST1300s.
Bill certainly know the answer to that question. He has been very helpful to me over the years. I don't know him personally, but he answers the phone or email every time I ask a question.

http://www.madcorider.com/

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Update... I finally thought to take some pictures of the Camlock installed. Works like a dream
I just noticed these pics and it clears up a lot for me. Thanks for those! It's a really nice bit o' kit and looks good in black. I'm on the fence.

Top Bottom