Not so smart - Dunlop Roadsmart 3 - wobble inducing tyres

Hi all.

Thought I'd feedback on something to see if anyone else has had the same issue as me.

I usually ride on Michelin GP4 GTs and they have been great. Absolutely zero issues.

But being curious about Dunlop's Roadsmart 3's and their claimed grip and longevity, I thought I'd swap them out.

Riding slowly out of town, no real difference.

But got on to the motorway (highway in the US), and 'Wooooah!' 85mph...the bike is shaking its head as if to so...Nooooo!

Hmmm...try with the screen down.

95mph...wobble!

So, I get home, take the box off the back...go back out...give it some oomph...wobble!

Go back home, take the front wheel off (perhaps the mechanic didn't snug the bolts properly) and reset all the bolts to the right torque setting. Out I go again....wobble!

Go back home, tighten up the preload on the rear....go out...wobble!

Go back home...check the tyre pressure...42psi all round...go back out....wobble!

The only thing I can think of is the bike hates Dunlops. Perhaps the tread pattern is disrupting the airflow? Or the airwash off the wheel rotation is playing havoc with the aero dynamics...?

What i can tell you is that I had zero wobble from the Michelin GP4 GTs. They were rock solid. Now I'm stuck with a confidence sapping pair of tyres until it's time to change.

Can a tyre change really affect the bike's handling this much or am I missing something?

Either way, please think twice about changing to the Dunlop Roadsmart 3s...unless you like wibbly wobbly rides.

Thanks

Rob

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
Just a few questions before commenting.
Are the Dunlops the proper size range?
Are they properly inflated?
Have the wheels been balanced with the new tires?

CruSTy

My Perception is my reality.
Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
2024 Miles
STOC #
But got on to the motorway (highway in the US), and 'Wooooah!' 85mph...the bike is shaking its head as if to so...Nooooo!
I experienced the same thing when running Roadsmart 3s. Usually worse under hard acceleration above 85. Had a separate issue with the Roadsmart 3 front tire developed a tread separation bubble. Never had issues since moving to PR4 Michelin and I think the Michelins corner better and have better wet traction. Don't think I would ever go back to Dunlop at least for this bike.

okckeith

Site Supporter
Bike
2017 Triumph Trophy
PR4 GT's for me also. Rock solid and best mileage I have ever got out of tires on my 07.
Did you check to make sure the tire is mounted in the right direction? Check the arrow for the proper rotation. I did not see that you checked that. I'm sure you probably have though.

Bike
2005 ST1300
Interesting post, i have Dunlop's front and rear (they came with the bike) I don't know if they are the Roadsmart 3's but i have the same issue at highway speeds above 75mph. It feels like the rear is fishtailing at high frequency. It certainly gets your attention. I've done exactly the same as Rob checking tire pressures, pre-load, windshield, top box on and off and nothing improves it.

Actually just been discussing this very topic with Triospec through PM. He suggested a swap to the Bridgestone Battlax T30 GT's, seems a few on here recommend them. I like the price on the Shinko's a bit better though and cycle gear has a sale on them right now.

Dex

Bike
ST1300A
The Michelin RP4 GT tyres seem to help stability at higher speeds (above 80mph) compared to Bridgestone BT023 GT that I had fitted before. Might be a bit more expensive, but seem to me to be worth every penny.

Bike
2015 FJR1300A
Hi all.

Thought I'd feedback on something to see if anyone else has had the same issue as me.

I usually ride on Michelin GP4 GTs and they have been great. Absolutely zero issues.

But being curious about Dunlop's Roadsmart 3's and their claimed grip and longevity, I thought I'd swap them out.

Riding slowly out of town, no real difference.

Hmmm...try with the screen down.

95mph...wobble!

So, I get home, take the box off the back...go back out...give it some oomph...wobble!

Go back home, take the front wheel off (perhaps the mechanic didn't snug the bolts properly) and reset all the bolts to the right torque setting. Out I go again....wobble!

Go back home, tighten up the preload on the rear....go out...wobble!

Go back home...check the tyre pressure...42psi all round...go back out....wobble!

The only thing I can think of is the bike hates Dunlops. Perhaps the tread pattern is disrupting the airflow? Or the airwash off the wheel rotation is playing havoc with the aero dynamics...?

What i can tell you is that I had zero wobble from the Michelin GP4 GTs. They were rock solid. Now I'm stuck with a confidence sapping pair of tyres until it's time to change.

Can a tyre change really affect the bike's handling this much or am I missing something?

Either way, please think twice about changing to the Dunlop Roadsmart 3s...unless you like wibbly wobbly rides.

Thanks

Rob
1st of all ... SORRY for your trouble. BUT.....BLESS YOU, I'm not crazy ! I've put almost 90,000 miles on my '07 and that means about 10 changes.... MZ6, Pr2 & 3 & 4GT...even T30GT. I now have Avon Storm 3d and every time I get up past 75 MPH my STeed gets the shakes. It also doesn't like dirty air and it picks up the shakes almost 2x as far back from the source as any prior tire did. Almost feels like I'll lose a tooth filling ! This NEVER happened with any prior tire. In case you think you're crazy....you are not ! BEST wishes for safe riding.

Bike
2015 FJR1300A
Interesting post, i have Dunlop's front and rear (they came with the bike) I don't know if they are the Roadsmart 3's but i have the same issue at highway speeds above 75mph. It feels like the rear is fishtailing at high frequency. It certainly gets your attention. I've done exactly the same as Rob checking tire pressures, pre-load, windshield, top box on and off and nothing improves it.

Actually just been discussing this very topic with Triospec through PM. He suggested a swap to the Bridgestone Battlax T30 GT's, seems a few on here recommend them. I like the price on the Shinko's a bit better though and cycle gear has a sale on them right now.
my.02 : T30GT front.....FANTASTIC! Rear....go with something else if you want mileage. That said....maybe their new "EVO" is better than prior T30GT, but since they upped the price about $30, not sure I'd experiment with them and your wallet.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Dunlop has had previous issues with Roadsmarts. I had a brand new set that had issues within the 1st 200 miles and I had to just keep it under 65 to keep the front end from hopping up and down. Several issues posted about them on this site alone. I no longer consider Dunlop for any tire choice.

OP
OP
Hi all.

Thanks so much for your replies and sympathies.

So it seems I'm not mad after all!

I certainly checked the rotation of the tyre and the wheel was rebalanced.

Ive no faith in these tyres and after 1000miles on them (I commute 105 miles 5x a week) they still haven't settled or bedded in.

Looks like ill have to spend another ?250 on a set of Michelin RP4 GTs.

I'm still astonished how much a set of tyres can change the bike's handling. It's a real eye-opener.

Ride safe everyone and thanks again for taking time to reply.

Rob

Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
Have you already experimented with lower pressures?

Not sure about the III, but Dunlop specifies 36 psi (2.5 bar) for the front RoadSmart II. Tire provides Max Load Capacity at this pressure = 536 lb for the rated 59W load index. There is no load capacity "bonus" for going higher than 36. Higher pressures are just for preferences that may be based on handling, wear patterns and gas mileage for instance.

So you could try inching down from 42 to 36 to see if it makes any difference. And as there is little chances you will have close to 536 lb loading up the front, going lower than 36 could even be contemplated.

Same for the rear. Dunlop specifies 42 psi (2.9 bar) for the Max Load Capacity of 783 lb (72W index). You won't be close to that when riding solo, so there is enough margin there for experimenting with lower pressures on the rear too.

In a recent Post , dduelin reported he is usually riding solo on his T30s with 38/40 and 40/42 when loaded.

You might be able to find a combination for the Dunlops that works for you?

Don-STOC237

STealer
Bike
Suzuki GSX1250FA-ST
STOC #
I don't know about the new Roadsmart 3's but I'm really pleased with the performance and handling of the Roadsmart II. I've had the GSX1250FA up to over 120 mph with them and they're rock-steady.

Having said that, I run the recommended pressures, and the GSX does have a 17 inch front wheel, not 18 like on the ST, so that may make a difference. When the current RS2's wear out, I'm planning on switching to the RS3's just to try them out. I've found that on almost every tire I've run in 20 years, going with the recommended pressures works best overall. IMO, YMMV.

OP
OP
@Midlife...you're a genius.

It's the one thing I didn't try. So I dropped it down to 34.5psi on the front and 40psi on the rear.

That seams to have solved the wobble.

From what I can tell, the profile of the tyre seems higher when inflated to the recommended 42psi. It makes the front of the bike sit up more and the wind gets underneath.

That's what caused the wobble/shake.

The front is now a fraction lower and the difference is remarkable.

While it's still not perfect, or as confidence-inspiring as the Michelin RP4 GTs, I'm actually enjoying riding on the Dunlops now.

So, if you do buy some Roadsmart 3s, go a little softer on the front and that should do it.

Cheers chaps.

Rob

Hi Steeles Wheels.

I have a KTM 1290 Super Adventure 2015.
With the original tires (ContiTrailAttack 2 K) and the pressures recommended by the manufacturer of the motorcycle (2,4 and 2,9 bar ) at 240 km/h it was perfect.

Now with RoadSmart 3 I can not exceed 200 km/h.
The direction It moves a lot.
In mountain road bike is perfect but in the highway is horrible at high speed.

I've done all too ...
Except change the tire pressure.

In his motorcycle 2.3 and 2.7 bar now it's perfect. And the manual of your motorcycle recommended that pressure?

What pressure will be best for my bike?

Thank you and regards.

Last edited:
Bike
VStrom 650
Tyres? For something just black and round they can cause a lot of trouble. I haven't ridden on these Dunlop's but by the sound of it they are more trouble than they are worth. Myself and a colleague collected two brand new ST1100's around 95 or 96 and these were fitted with Dunlop's of the time, I think the model was 3 numbers, 3 something something? Anyway we both rode straight onto the motorway and at 75 mph plus you couldn't keep either bike in one lane. Both bikes had set into a big slow weave and were moving around dangerously. Speed was reduced and the bikes swapped to Bridgestone's overnight. Result was non weaving bikes that felt rock steady up to three figures albeit typically light over 100. Typical for a ST1100 that is. I am lucky with my current ST1100, I run it on 023's and it is rock steady at standard pressures. Even on continental motorways at legal sustained 100 mph plus runs with pillion and luggage it doesn't move an inch. The only question now is do I swap to the new Bridgestone's or not? My opinion is if you have to mess around with pressures you are running the wrong tyre but I do buy into the fact that some bikes will weave despite tyre choice after all wobble and weave is a natural phenomenon.

Bike
R1200rt
@Midlife...you're a genius.

It's the one thing I didn't try. So I dropped it down to 34.5psi on the front and 40psi on the rear.

That seams to have solved the wobble.

From what I can tell, the profile of the tyre seems higher when inflated to the recommended 42psi. It makes the front of the bike sit up more and the wind gets underneath.

That's what caused the wobble/shake.

The front is now a fraction lower and the difference is remarkable.

While it's still not perfect, or as confidence-inspiring as the Michelin RP4 GTs, I'm actually enjoying riding on the Dunlops now.

So, if you do buy some Roadsmart 3s, go a little softer on the front and that should do it.

Cheers chaps.

Rob
there must be a problem with the tire or a balancing issue. I have ran 190/60 r17 in the rear and also had a 130/70 r18 in the front. I have changed tire pressures to 45psi when all packed and have found my front tire as low as 25 psi with a staple in it. Never had a wobble. As far as direction arrow goes that is only there to evacuate water better. Some rides use a rear tire on the front and reverse the direction . A little wind under the front should never cause a wobble.

Thanks for the update. I've had a set of RS2 tires for 9000
miles...flawless but just recently started to experience a
slight wobble, more pronounced while cornering. About to
replace with RS3, but will now have to reconsider. So what's the
best choice. Ride pretty hard and corner fast, but not xtreme.

STOC #
I've not seen it mentioned yet but a wore rear shock will bring out differences in tire profiles. Reducing the inflation could simply be compensating for what otherwise wouldn't be an issue with a healthy shock.

Top Bottom