Did my first tip over last weekend

I decided to adjust my head bearings and go satin black on my upper triple tree/steering stem bracket last weekend for a cleaner look. I wanted to do a nice job so I pulled the Helibars out of their risers, pulled the stem bracket for painting off of the bike and then decided I needed to roll the bike forward for a little more room in my garage. The kick stand immediately folded back, and with no handlebars to grab onto I had nothing to stop her from gently falling over. There were no bags on the bike at the time, and those tip over wing worked beautifully. Not a scratch. Unfortunately I had to reinstall the stem bracket and and bars while the bike was on it's side. Not fun, but I couldn't figure out how to lift the bike back up without the handle bars attached.

Bike
04 ST1300
Tip over bars are nice. I checked their functionality by tipping the bike over slowly with the help of a friend. Even if the bags were there, they would not have been damaged. As long as the tip over is on a leveled surface, the bags are protected. This is a great feature.

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
I was hoping the subject line was a typo and was supposed to read "Did my first TRIP over last weekend". Ah well, glad it had no worse repercussions. Add one to your tip-over counter and keep riding.

Last edited:
Bike
2010 ST1300
I know how you feel. I dropped my bike in my garage too, and it missed the car but was in such a position that I could not get between it and the car to try to lift it up. Even with the help of my wife, it was just not possible. I backed our other car alongside the fallen bike, got my come-along and attached it to the Bygdawg tip over bar on the up side and the trailer hitch on the back of the car. With my wife holding the front brake lever, I slowly winched the bike upright until I could put the side stand down. Painless, scratchless, if slow.

STripper

Brian
Bike
2005 ST1300A
I suppose that silly garage tip-overs do count, but I'll never reveal my tally. ;)

While in the garage, I once prepared to place my ST on the center stand. What I did not realize was that the left peg of the center stand was resting on a thick, heavy-gauge extension cord. I promptly launched the ST toward the right, away from me, into the next bike parked in the garage. The only damage was a noticeable scratch on the right mirror cowl of the ST.

Welcome to the club.

Top Bottom