2016 BMW 1200RT

Bike
2021 BMW 1250GS
STOC #
Well I did it.....I test drove a RT today for about an hour, I didn't want to bring it back! I loved it! Since getting rid of my ST1100 back in 2013 I have been missing the sport touring world. Before buying the Explorer I tested an air cooled boxer, did not like it at all, way too much vibration for me so I bought the explorer. Well I have been looking and considering and considering and considering. The dealer called me up yesterday, he knew I have been looking, was in a couple times but was gonna wait for the new Explorer. He said things are a little slow and wanted to sell me a bike. He told me to come in and I could test ride whatever I wanted, so I did. This bike is sweet and BMW really refined this bike. I put down a deposit and will be picking it up on Tuesday. Oh yeah....San Marino blue...the fast one!

Lanny

Former Rider
Bike
None
STOC #
Congratulations Dave! Whatever color you're riding is the fast color!

okckeith

Site Supporter
Bike
2017 Triumph Trophy
My BMW, Ducati and Triumph dealer is only 5 miles from me. I can test ride what ever I want there. I ended up with a 2015 Tiger 800XCX last year doing that. :D The RT, FJR and Trophy are on my list to replace the ST when that time comes. To bad Honda does not make a bike like them.

rulbe

Site Supporter
Bike
Africa Twin AS
STOC #
Dave
Congratulations! I did the same, went in to look they tossed me keys and the rest is history!

Enjoy the new ride!

OP
OP
DaveM
Bike
2021 BMW 1250GS
STOC #
I would have bought a Honda but just wanted newer technology, I sat on the FJR but they would not let me test ride it and I told them I would not buy a bike without atleast a little test ride and the dealer I went too seemed like they didn't care, so I moved on. I also went to Kawasaki but they were too busy selling atv's and I mentioned atleast taking it out for a few miles and I got that same look that I got at the FJR dealer. Then they told me to ride up to bike week in Laconia they were doing test rides up there. So I went back to Triumph, BMW dealer. I was really thinking about the new Explorer, while there I also rode the GS, very nice but I was meant to be back in the sport touring world. Then I took out the RT, an hour and 15mins later I was hooked!

OP
OP
DaveM
Bike
2021 BMW 1250GS
STOC #
Congrats! Once you put a deposit down, how quick is BMW at delivering?
I could have gotten it tomorrow if I pushed, but I have to strip all the farkles off the Explorer as I decided to trade it in and would need the weekend to do it so I can turn around and sell them to recoup some more money.

Bike
2014 R1200RT W
STOC #
The RT Water cooled is a fabulous machine. I enjoyed my 2014 mdl. till it got totaled in April. When I replace the bike, it will be another RT

Bike
2020 Tracer 900GT
STOC #
Congratulation...enjoy that new ride.

Your comments about test rides is particularity interesting. Up here in Ontario it is increasingly more difficult to walk in and test ride. Most all dealers want you to come to a demo day.

amorley

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 BMW K1600GTS
2024 Miles
SPOT
LINK
Congratulations Dave! I have 18,000 miles on my 2015 BMW K1600GT and loved every one of them.

Scooter

This space for rent...
Bike
2019 BMW R1250RT
STOC #
Must

Not

Be

Insanely

Jealous

I failed.

Hope you enjoy your new bike. I try to stay away from our local dealer for the same reason...

OP
OP
DaveM
Bike
2021 BMW 1250GS
STOC #
Congrats on the new wheels! I predict miles of smiles. Will you be buying a range extender for your radar detector?!?
Hey Dean, yeah I think I will need one. Just need to figure where to hid and where to wire it too...not so easy with the canbus system. Hope to see you on the road sometime soon. Ride Safe!

Gerhard

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 R1200RT
Hey Dean, yeah I think I will need one. Just need to figure where to hid and where to wire it too...not so easy with the canbus system. Hope to see you on the road sometime soon. Ride Safe!
The canbus system won't prevent you from powering accessories, if you want to tap into the power from accessory plug on the dash that would work and lots of people put a separate fuze block under the seat. On my RT (2012) the accessory plug is shut off about 30 seconds after you turn the ignition off so that should work perfectly for a radar detector.

Hope you have lots of great miles and smiles.

Gerhard

OP
OP
DaveM
Bike
2021 BMW 1250GS
STOC #
The canbus system won't prevent you from powering accessories, if you want to tap into the power from accessory plug on the dash that would work and lots of people put a separate fuze block under the seat. On my RT (2012) the accessory plug is shut off about 30 seconds after you turn the ignition off so that should work perfectly for a radar detector.

Hope you have lots of great miles and smiles.

Gerhard
Thanks Gerhard

Top Bottom