2016 BMW 1200RT

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #
I just spent over $19k for self canceling turn signals and a different shade of blue.

My wife is scheming what kind of crow dish I have to eat.
eating-crow.jpg
Anyone care to pass me some Grey Poupon? :eat1:

2016 RT, San Marino Blue, with Premium package and Keyless Ride. Used by a 62 yr old since July 2016 ... 4929 miles. It is pristine.

Final price was $18745 (+ $153 doc/tag fees + sales tax). I couldn't pass it up.
:woo
And another one bites the Dust.... and went over to the Dark Side. Congratulations for be assimilated into the BMW world. You will now need to put together a Colorado RTE so we can all drool..... I mean admire the new bike.

Last edited:

rulbe

Site Supporter
Bike
Africa Twin AS
STOC #
I just spent over $19k for self canceling turn signals and a different shade of blue.

My wife is scheming what kind of crow dish I have to eat.
eating-crow.jpg
Anyone care to pass me some Grey Poupon? :eat1:

2016 RT, San Marino Blue, with Premium package and Keyless Ride. Used by a 62 yr old since July 2016 ... 4929 miles. It is pristine.

Final price was $18745 (+ $153 doc/tag fees + sales tax). I couldn't pass it up.
:woo
Congratulations on the great deal! Since I still have the ST I went with the GS Adventure it made it easier to justify both bikes to my wife!

Enjoy! We will be out in Denver in July to make a loop over to the BMW National rally in Salt Lake City!
Randy

I rode one years ago Scooter, but not the current wethead (I don't like the rigmarole at dealers, so I generally stay away and also don't try for test rides). I've got about 130 miles on it .... I'm surprised at how zippy it is, how much easier to maneuver and put on centerstand, and how much tech stuff is included (at a cost of course).
It's just beginning..... you will say why didn't I do this sooner.

Nice find John. May you rack up lots of enjoyable miles with it. I wasn't going to read through the whole thread so I'll just ask instead, did you get a chance to ride one before you bought it?

Spring will seem like its an eternity away for you now...
Resistance is futile....:hyp1:

gmast1100

Gettin old sux
Bike
2016 Kawasaki Versys
STOC #
Nice bike John. Now get out there and enjoy a few of those great mountain roads that I used to enjoy when I lived there.

Seeing this thread reminds me of how good this forum is and how disappointed I am in Honda. Honda led with technology for so long that I never thought I'd want to leave the brand. I went to BMW in 2007 as cruise control, electronically controlled suspension and other amenities went from feeling like a gimick to something that really enhances the touring experience. For years I've been waiting to see how Honda would respond and have wanted to go back to Honda engineering but they continue to offer bikes that are very beginner oriented without having enough excitement, have really odd styling or are the same bike with virtually no changes for a decade. Yamaha has been able to introduce beginner friendly, economical yet lively enough to have appeal to experienced riders. They have made evolutionary changes to the FJR to keep it in the conversation.

I know the sport touring segment is small but it does make me sad that after being away from my very solid ST for almost 10 years that Honda still has not provided something to keep us in the fold. Thankfully, others have and the R1200RT is a great example of a bike to consider as owners of ST1300's look for another bike.

I've had a VFR1200 for a couple of years and keep hoping they will put that engine in a sport touring bike. Let Honda recoup some investment in that excellent engine placed in a bike the market did not want. It is a dream many have had for a while and it seems far from being fulfilled. As Honda continues to ignore this segment it does my heart well to see this forum is still the great place it has always been. Optimistic, friendly to all riders of all brands, keeps away from drama like politics and is just a great place for support and friendship.

Well done ST-owners forum.

ST-venture

Randy Frank
Site Supporter
Bike
2018 GW Tour DCT
2024 Miles
STOC #
I happened to be looking at Craig's list for BMW parts and lucked into a good used BMW 49L top box from a guy in Fort Collins for $500.
The same box new is $961 and the newer version box is $1360 :eek:
I will decide later if I get it painted to match the 2016 San Marino blue.

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
Now that I've had my RT for about 6 months...

:yes: I'm enjoying the bike (2016 BMW R1200RT, with Dynamic ESA, Keyless Ride, GPS Ready, TPMS, Audio System, Cruise, heated stuff, wonderwheel, ...).

:no1: The vibrations inherent in the opposing-twin engine aren't to my liking (I miss the ST's V-4), but it is what it is.

A few things that need improved on the RT:
--The audio system (promising, but falls short in practice)
--Small fairing pockets
--Reduce the many adjoining seams and openings on the front fairing of the bike--bugs and dirt are difficult to remove in those seams. (Save your "ride more, clean less" comments for someone else.)
--Improved panel fastening. Some lower-panel gromets are loose, the lower right panel has one gromet that isn't always staying fitted/latched.
--Tipover protection

:no1: The largest detractor (annoyance?) so far has been the factory audio system. I'm using a Zumo 660 (fits in the factory 'GPS Ready' cradle) and a Sena 20S (I am not using BMW's $$$ Navigator nor BMW's $$$ Bluetooth helmet). The nagging issue is that anytime a non-BMW device puts sound onto the Bluetooth system, the bike's Bluetooth system doesn't always resume (the dash still indicates BT is functional/paired). Most often, when an arriving message or phone call is transmitted from my iPhone onto the audio system, the Sena system rightly gives it priority over music it had been playing, and it transmits the iPhone sound on the BT audio channel. But then the Sena or BMW audio system (?which?) rarely resumes music streaming onto the BT audio channel. If rebooting my Sena doesn't cause the BMW audio system to re-initiate the connection and resume music streaming, then I have to pull over and shut down the bike--most often a bike reboot is required to get back to normal audio function. I've managed to get that audio problem lessened by deleting the iPhone pairing to the Zumo GPS (losing ability to see or make phone calls on the GPS screen, therefore have since mounted the phone to the handlebars so it is visible). I also just updated my Sena 20S firmware from 1.6.3 to 1.7.5 and have restored factory defaults on it in hopes that will help (not yet tested).

:yes: Without going into the detail, the RT has great handling, is full of great features, has surprisingly good power, is lightweight, has good weather protection, is easy to maintain, and more. It is modern, and is what the Honda ST should have been updated to by now.

:yes: Overall, the pluses are greatly outweigh the minuses, and I'm glad to have this bike.

Bug Dr.

Extroverted Loner
Aw, I like the thrum of the boxer motor. I guess what bike you had previously matters as the STs are almost too smooth for me. My RS runs smoother than my Tenere so I guess it is relative. Neither have the paint shaker feel of my 2012 RT and I love the torque of the new boxer motors. Sure would like to have an RT in the stable again for a winter bike but it was a bit too warm for summer riding in the southeastern US. I'm pleased with the two bikes I have now. I'd be more pleased if I could actually ride them somewhere.

My RS doesn't have a radio so I don't have those issues. I wouldn't want anything on the bike that competes with my helmet crooning or interrupts the heated discussions I have with the voices in my head :)

It didn't take long for me to get spoiled to cruise control, electronic suspension adjustments and less weight. I'm with you.....too bad Honda has abandoned the sport-touring market. Oh well, other options are there for the taking.

Glad you are enjoying the bike.
Mike

Now that I've had my RT for about 6 months...

:yes: I'm enjoying the bike (2016 BMW R1200RT, with Dynamic ESA, Keyless Ride, GPS Ready, TPMS, Audio System, Cruise, heated stuff, wonderwheel, ...).

:no1: The vibrations inherent in the opposing-twin engine aren't to my liking (I miss the ST's V-4), but it is what it is.

A few things that need improved on the RT:
--The audio system (promising, but falls short in practice)
--Small fairing pockets
--Reduce the many adjoining seams and openings on the front fairing of the bike--bugs and dirt are difficult to remove in those seams. (Save your "ride more, clean less" comments for someone else.)
--Improved panel fastening. Some lower-panel gromets are loose, the lower right panel has one gromet that isn't always staying fitted/latched.
--Tipover protection

:no1: The largest detractor (annoyance?) so far has been the factory audio system. I'm using a Zumo 660 (fits in the factory 'GPS Ready' cradle) and a Sena 20S (I am not using BMW's $$$ Navigator nor BMW's $$$ Bluetooth helmet). The nagging issue is that anytime a non-BMW device puts sound onto the Bluetooth system, the bike's Bluetooth system doesn't always resume (the dash still indicates BT is functional/paired). Most often, when an arriving message or phone call is transmitted from my iPhone onto the audio system, the Sena system rightly gives it priority over music it had been playing, and it transmits the iPhone sound on the BT audio channel. But then the Sena or BMW audio system (?which?) rarely resumes music streaming onto the BT audio channel. If rebooting my Sena doesn't cause the BMW audio system to re-initiate the connection and resume music streaming, then I have to pull over and shut down the bike--most often a bike reboot is required to get back to normal audio function. I've managed to get that audio problem lessened by deleting the iPhone pairing to the Zumo GPS (losing ability to see or make phone calls on the GPS screen, therefore have since mounted the phone to the handlebars so it is visible). I also just updated my Sena 20S firmware from 1.6.3 to 1.7.5 and have restored factory defaults on it in hopes that will help (not yet tested).

:yes: Without going into the detail, the RT has great handling, is full of great features, has surprisingly good power, is lightweight, has good weather protection, is easy to maintain, and more. It is modern, and is what the Honda ST should have been updated to by now.

:yes: Overall, the pluses are greatly outweigh the minuses, and I'm glad to have this bike.
Great looking ride and thank you for the feedback! I dont' tend to keep my bikes very long (usually about a year) and am getting the itch to try something new!

catcher

Site Supporter
Bike
'18Wing, '16VFR1200X
ST Owners still outnumber the non ST Owners.... I think... come on Honda!
Just my opinion, but I think Honda is still tops in terms of reliability. And when it comes to level of satisfaction among owners, don't forget, STer's have been touting their rides on here for years. And look at the following that Goldwings have had. And another, my Honda VFR1200X-DCT continues to thrill. To me, performance trumps multiple electronic features. However, I do appreciate the abs and traction control on the VFR.
Sigh. Almost forgot, this is meant to be a BMW thread, lol!

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
JB, I have long since left the GPS out of the pairing with my RT. Yes, it can be nice to see who's calling, but other than that, trying to manage calls through the GPS is a PITA since it's a long reach to the GPS with my short arms and the functionality doesn't interact with the Wonder Wheel.

I pair the 20S to my phone as a mobile phone, then pair the 20S to the BMW also as a mobile phone (not a second mobile phone). Apparently the bike can only pair as A2DP and somehow this approach works. My phone is an Android (S7 Edge) so I simply press the phone button on the 20S, say "OK Google, call Baker Boy" and voila, your phone is ringing. I can't ID incoming calls, but it's easy to hang up! I rarely have had an issue with the audio not coming back after a phone call or Google interaction, although I recall that happening a couple times when I asked Google something it couldn't figure out so it kept searching... Turning the 20S off and back on solved it.

Most of all I like the 20S for accessing audio sources from the BMW audio system because the 20S has an audio out jack. I plug in my nice Klipsch or Shure sound attenuating earbuds and get way better sound quality than helmet speakers. I'd wear ear plugs anyway, so inserting earbuds before putting on my helmet doesn't take any longer and I'm not hardwired to the bike. I get longer battery life on the 20S since the drivers are so much smaller in the earbuds. I have practically my entire music collection on a tiny USB thumb drive (like this) plugged into the USB port in the (sadly small) right fairing pocket. I can set the system to play random tracks, a certain artist, album or artist, etc. Plus the BMW audio has AM, FM, Satellite (which sucks in heavily forested New England), and Weather Band. And I can still connect bike-to-bike with the 20S.

Another advantage over pairing with the GPS is that music volume drops but doesn't cut out entirely when a GPS prompt comes on. That's much more pleasing to hear than the abrupt cut out of music when a GPS prompt comes on, as happens when paired to the GPS.

I set my phone with call audio enabled and media audio disabled. That allows phone calls to route through the 20S, and all audio sources from the BMW (music, radio bands, GPS prompts...) to route through the 20S.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Just my opinion, but I think Honda is still tops in terms of reliability. And when it comes to level of satisfaction among owners, don't forget, STer's have been touting their rides on here for years.
+1 I've never been unhappy with the durability and reliability of any Honda I've owned at that was the reason for getting an ST (when I knew nothing about them!) over a cheaper FJR and Concours.

I do like the keyless ignition on my buddy's R1200GS. That and these two things:

https://player.vimeo.com/video/228380927

would get me to buy an updated ST.

Hm. Can't embed video.

Top Bottom