2016 BMW 1200RT

TPadden

Tom Padden
RT must be stopped & running with rider on seat to adjust the suspension. .....The Rain mode keeps the rear wheel under control & works great.
Again U have to be stopped to select the modes.
You're not the only one who doesn't know exactly how his bike works :eek::. I had 5000 miles on mine before I learned it had one of the neatest options; shift assist pro. Again slickest clutchless down shifting, smoother than anything I can do approaching or in a curve with the clutch. Don't really use it much for up shifting.

I also really like the keyless ignition, keyless bag and gas cap lock-unlock. 30,000 miles on my 15 and not 1 problem with anything.

Bike
'07 ST1300
STOC #
I do wish they were cheaper... but they are sweeeeet in my opinion.. I'm getting to the 3-year-time-to-start-looking-at-different-bikes time and the RT is actually on top of the list 2nd place is the FJR...

The FJR and Super Tenere electronics are just about identical - actually, they probably are to make manufacturing easier and less complicated. So, that would make the RT a stronger candidate.. However, the Super Tenere is just working so well for me... I may put another 3 years on this bike.. I'd like to see how reliable the new RT is over the long haul. I know BMW has issues from time to tome but no bike is perfect, which is great because it means I won't get bored looking/riding them.. lol

I saw Tom's at RanchSTOC last year, pretty darn nice setup... Saw Bob's at the Spring GA Rally, great blue color...
Agreed. Hard to beat an ST that is paid for. You don't have to buy a new RT. Find one that someone else doesn't need anymore. These are high on my next list just because of what Tom has said about the bike.

Reginald

cyclepoke
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
I'd love to get one. It just scares me to cash investments to buy it. The wife tells me to do it, but $20,000? Additionally, I had to reside the house and recondition both leaking showers (dang builders didn't water proof the tile) this year which took about $33,000. Had to replace some rotten framing from water leaks, which are all sealed now. Maybe one day in a year or so.

In the mean time I'm replacing all the rubber fuel and water hoses that are showing age on the ST. I may break down if the ST breaks again this year. It'll be the fourth year in a row. It really hampers planned adventures. I guess 9+ year old bikes require a lot of maintenance. I'd better shut up whining now, I'm talking myself into it. :eek::

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Ace, that's just preload adjustment than requires being stopped.....one helmet, one helmet plus luggage, etc... The rest will change on the fly.

I went and looked at a 2017 1200 GS triple black with wire spoke wheels. It is a sharp bike for sure that no doubt would be a blast to ride. I just couldn't get past the thought of the keyless ignition leaving me stranded in some remote place. Probably just in my head but I remember the ring antennae problems. It is the most comparable bike to a new Tenere ES but costs $6400 more than the Cobalt Blue Tenere ES sitting at my local dealer.

In the end the decision was easy for me to make.......I put a deposit on the Tenere yesterday. Now I'm waiting on funds to settle and a check to be cut (thanks Teck Resourses). Hope to ride it to Big Bend. May not have luggage yet so I might look like the Beverly Hillbillies......but I kinda do anyway.
Mike
LOL.. that's funny, I also went from a 1200 Tenere to a 650 dual sport and back to a Tenere... ha!... congrats on the impending delivery, hope to see it in BB.

OP
OP
DaveM
Bike
2021 BMW 1250GS
STOC #
First off I like the ST1300 it's a nice bike, always liked them and will always like them but it really needs an update and yes the BMW cost alot more but I have to say you also get alot more! The new RT there are two different types of adjustments for the suspension, one is for passenger(s) and luggage(3 settings), rider only, rider and luggage and two up with luggage. Very nice and definitely can feel the different modes. The other is ride modes which can be adjusted on the fly or stopped, again 3 settings, soft, normal and hard.....this is really nice when slabbing it and keep hitting expansion joints put it on soft for a comfy ride, I ride mostly in normal then then there's hard for really messing around. The riding modes, Rain, Road, Dynamic....again huge difference for all of them. They all work nice and have a purpose! The new watercooled engine....Then there is the wonderwheel which basically controls everything and I mean everything on the bike including my clearwaters lights that I added. It took me weeks to figure everything out and was quite frustrating at times and thanks to Bones, my hundreds of questions he answered alot for me! As far as keyless ignition and gas cap, I love it, I just wish I got keyless locking system but didn't know about it at the time. Heated grips and seat....both will cook your hands or butt if you turn it up enough. Cruise control.....never thought I would like or ever use it until you have it. What's that saying..."don't knock it until you try it" and the list goes on! Don't get me wrong the ST's both 1100 and 1300 are nice, I put over 100,000 miles on my 1100 always wanted a 1300 but just never ended up getting one. Yes, I totally felt guilty buying a $20,000 bike....but when your wife also tells you, you only live once and go for it....heck that's exactly what I did and don't regret it one bit. It is one sweet ride!

Last edited:

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Ace, that's just preload adjustment than requires being stopped.....one helmet, one helmet plus luggage, etc... The rest will change on the fly.

I went and looked at a 2017 1200 GS triple black with wire spoke wheels. It is a sharp bike for sure that no doubt would be a blast to ride. I just couldn't get past the thought of the keyless ignition leaving me stranded in some remote place. Probably just in my head but I remember the ring antennae problems. It is the most comparable bike to a new Tenere ES but costs $6400 more than the Cobalt Blue Tenere ES sitting at my local dealer.

In the end the decision was easy for me to make.......I put a deposit on the Tenere yesterday. Now I'm waiting on funds to settle and a check to be cut (thanks Teck Resourses). Hope to ride it to Big Bend. May not have luggage yet so I might look like the Beverly Hillbillies......but I kinda do anyway.
Mike
Congrats Mike. Look forward to seeing it, in all it's hillbilly glory. ;)

TPadden

Tom Padden
.......but when your wife also tells you, you only live once and go for it....heck that's exactly what I did and don't regret it one bit. It is one sweet ride!
You left out the most important benefit...... I got a Triumph Russell Day-Long seat (cheap) in the deal!!!! :D Really loving that too!

OP
OP
DaveM
Bike
2021 BMW 1250GS
STOC #
You left out the most important benefit...... I got a Triumph Russell Day-Long seat (cheap) in the deal!!!! :D Really loving that too!
Glad you lovin it Tom! [emoji2]

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
DaveM
Bike
2021 BMW 1250GS
STOC #
You're not the only one who doesn't know exactly how his bike works :eek::. I had 5000 miles on mine before I learned it had one of the neatest options; shift assist pro. Again slickest clutchless down shifting, smoother than anything I can do approaching or in a curve with the clutch.
Oh yeah forgot about that. Just doesn't seem right not to use clutch but I have to say I love it. Pretty cool not using clutch and fast! How about Hill assist? , especially if waiting for a traffic light to turn on a hill, activate with a squeeze of brake and can let go of the brakes and relax!

ST-venture

Randy Frank
Site Supporter
Bike
2018 GW Tour DCT
2024 Miles
STOC #
Yes, I totally felt guilty buying a $20,000 bike....but when your wife also tells you, you only live once and go for it....heck that's exactly what I did and don't regret it one bit. It is one sweet ride!
+1 - except for the wife telling me that :D

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
Not everyone is lucky enough to not only have a generous wife but one that is soooooo much smarter than they are. :bmwkick1:
The fact she drives a troubled BMW X3** undermines your 'smarter' theory. :p:

**Said BMW has required a new transfer case (and needs another one now!), has encountered failed suspension parts (it has never been off-road!), has puked all its coolant onto the undercarriage (dealer could find no leak; nothing repaired!), encounters intermittent strange warning light errors (dealer said 'ignore them'!), doesn't have an oil dipstick but occasionally warns that oil is low (what?!), it dies at stoplights due to a failed $10 hydraulic timing part buried in a spot that requires the engine to be removed ($900 labor!), it wears tires unevenly, and it's vaunted X-Drive is amazingly deficient at powering all 4 wheels in a logical and useful manner (easily spins out of control!). But, like other BMW owners I know, she loves it and plans to buy another one in a couple years! Meanwhile, my Acura has had the following list of problems: none.
:doh1:

But back on topic, I would enjoy one of those 2016 San Marino Blue RT's! Especially their lighter weight compared to the ST. I just haven't been willing to part with ~$20 large considering my low riding mileage the last couple years. :)

ST-venture

Randy Frank
Site Supporter
Bike
2018 GW Tour DCT
2024 Miles
STOC #
But back on topic, I would enjoy one of those 2016 San Marino Blue RT's! Especially their lighter weight compared to the ST. I just haven't been willing to part with ~$20 large considering my low riding mileage the last couple years.
John, I had narrowed my search to between the FJR-ES (2016 blue of course) and the RT. When I found the RT was available in blue and BMW had $1750 in incentives, plus the nearly $900 in additional savings I was able to get from the dealer, I couldn't pass up the deal. And sense I put around 17K miles a year on bikes I hope that the RT will be a good bike for me. I am taking a leap of faith that the Beemer will be reliable and not a giant pain in the ***. Only time will tell.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Join BMWMOA and purchase their Platinum Roadside Assistance. It's very good coverage and not restricted to brand or dealership.

Bike
2005 ST1300P
I test drove the RT1200 a while back. Great bike! The dealer insisted that I keep it out for at least 2 hours. I also tested the Concours the same day, same dealer, right after the RT. In my opinion the concours was a good bike but right after the RT, it just didn't come close. It's good, just not as good as the RT. My theory which is mine, based on my opinion! Congratulations.

OP
OP
DaveM
Bike
2021 BMW 1250GS
STOC #
Join BMWMOA and purchase their Platinum Roadside Assistance. It's very good coverage and not restricted to brand or dealership.
Also includes tire protection for two tires a year, a great deal especially if you are traveling away from home.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Top Bottom