Rear Master Cyl Rebuild

Bike
ST1300A7
I have been chasing the infamous rear brake drag on my newly acquired 07 1300. Previous owner had SMC, proportioning valve, delay valve, pads and all three rotors replaced and couldn't rectify the problem. I methodically went over every component and repair the PO had done and read many threads.The rear master cylinder had been ignored by those efforts. I discoveted a small internal circlip that holds the clevis rod into the piston pulled apart and jammed in a way that prevented the piston from fully retracting. Rebuild kit and another bleed and everything is great.

Attachments

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Previous owner had SMC, proportioning valve, delay valve, pads and all three rotors replaced
Did a dealer do all of that? Replacing all three rotor as well and still the problem wasn't fixed? That's a big problem with the Maybe It's The... Remove and Replace methodology instead of doing actual troubleshooting.

Good on ya! I don't know my way around the ST anywhere near enough to have found that but I wouldn't give a dealer that kind of money and not get the problem fixed. Luckily I know a solid ST wrench who's OCD wouldn't let a bike leave the garage until it was right.

Did you run across any/many threads about working on the rear master cylinder? I don't recall seeing any but that's could be me not paying attention.

OP
OP
Brian Z
Bike
ST1300A7
It wasn't a Honda dealer and this poor guy was on a trip a long ways from home. The final solution was to disconnect the rear brake and send them down the road so he could get home. Not sure how long the shop had the bike but long enough to order in parts so yeah no excuse.

OP
OP
Brian Z
Bike
ST1300A7
I can only remember the rear master cylinder being mentioned one time saying that it's usually not a problem. This one has a lot of Road grime packed up in there which I think was a contributing factor. Another clue was the brake pedal was slightly bent.

Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A
Great job trouble shooting! In all the ST1300's that I have seen, I have only seen two that needed the rear master cylinder replaced, and just like you discovered, it was due to damage to the lever damaging the unit.

SDGeorge

George G.
In need of the correct part number for rear master cylinder rebuild kit for a NON-ABS 2003 1300.
I looked up the part numbers and there are 2, with no indication of what the difference is; 43520-MCS-G01 or a 43520-MCS-G02 ?

Thanks...in advance

Top Bottom