Hate to admit defeat, but....

... couldn't get all my gear in the panniers :(

Did a 'test' trip to the HUBB meeting in Hay, taking all of my gear. Didn't even have my pillion with me. I REALLY thought I would be able to get it all in.

Ok, so moving on; the reason I wanted to get it all in, was so when we're travelling, I don't have to leave my gear unsecured or lug it around with me.

Some questions;

- Can I fit a roll bag behind my pillion?
- Can a roll bag be secured?
- What luggage carrying method would you recommend? Would consider trailer IF I had more time (but I don't).

Impart wisdom upon me fellows...

Bike
2018 NC750X
STOC #
Some folks are very creative when it comes to carrying things on their bikes. A roll bag can be carried behind the pillion if you have a rack, securing it can be a challenge if it's over sized. One can loop a cable from the rack to the bag (through the handles on the bag) then lock with a lock.

Many have a top trunk, and that may be what you need to haul just a bit extra. For me, I'm not a light packer, so I have to have a trailer with me if a pillion comes along.

Bike
2010 ST1300
You did not mention if you are riding two up or alone. I ride alone and carry a big duffel bag on the pillion. I think it is around 30" long, maybe13 or 14 in diameter (rough measurements). And I secure it with Rok straps. Oops, just reread your post - you said when we're traveling. I have read and seen pictures of people stuffing long narrow bags and bending them into a 'U'. This is then strapped on top of the panniers and around the back of the bike. Good Luck!

Bike
2006 ST1300
A client gave me a "T-Bag" motorcycle bag which had come off his Harley when he sold it. I took it, not knowing whether it would even fit on the ST or not. Turns out, it slides right over my passenger backrest, and works really well either on the pillion seat, or around the back, resting on the rear rack. It expands as needed, with a very clever zipper system, and is weather resistant. I use it mainly for food shopping, but I see how it could be a boon when on trips. I had installed a top box, but my pillion did not like it very much. I use it now on the scooter, and it is a great addition. Either one would be a solution for you.

OP
OP
Went for a couple of 30L Oxford roll bags, tied on with Rok straps. Quite disappointed not to get everything in the panniers, but there you go.

Bike
2003 ST1300A
Some years ago I went to some of the BMWMOA rallys and most people camp.
At one of the first rallys picked up a U shaped pack made by Jo's U Pac. Nice lady.
The u pac is a u shaped bag where it ties to the luggage rack and the 'arms' tie on top of the saddlebags.
When you stuff sleeping bags, tent, etc., in the bag, it makes a nice snuggly space for your passenger, kind of like a wrap a round chair.
http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?17581-Jo-s-U-Pac
Don't know what Jo did with the company but little info here...
http://www.mistergizmo.com/ubagsforcamping.htm

Last edited:
Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A
Most bmw shops sell plastic eyelets that can be attached to the black part of the saddlebags and a couple to the license plate frame. You can then place small roll bags on top of each saddlebags. A rock strap can be secured through passenger grab rail handle.
Also what about a tank bag?

Top Bottom