Unusual discovery while cleaning the front wheel

Bike
2004 ST1300A
While washing the ST13 yesterday (it did need it), I saw something unusual coming from one of the drain holes in the front wheel casting.

VZM.IMG_20160620_112349.jpg

I looked closer and started poking into it and picking at it. There was something there. It seemed a little greasy and maybe had some hair on it. It finally came to me what it was. I plugged the other drain holes with duct tape and 2 of the other 3 larges holes in the center. I rotated the wheel so the suspicious matter was near the top. I put a small vacuum hose into the remaining hub hole and compressed air into the gooey hole.

My suspicions were confirmed. Look closely at the hub.

VZM.IMG_20160620_113437.jpgVZM.IMG_20160620_113522.jpg

CruSTy

My Perception is my reality.
Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
2024 Miles
STOC #
Really, lead weights work better for balancing the front wheel!!:shock::shock::shock:

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
I thought pet mice were supposed to run in those wire cages, why did you put it in your ST wheel ?

About a week ago I noticed something odd when I opened my second garage door that I don't use often. The previous time it shut, it happened to crush a mouse between two of the rollup panels. Old enough that it was mostly decayed, but still a bit of a stench left so it wasn't pleasant cleaning the remaining guts off of the door.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
:rofl1: I was disgusted but couldn't look away! Without the assist your ST will be a little slower now.

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
Yeah, that's not right. Those are supposed to be in the space between the throttle bodies chewing on your injector wires. :sm1:

--Mark

Bike
2013 650 vSTrom
STOC #
WHY are there drain holes in the front wheel in the first place??

They are there so water doesn't collect, but mice do

Bike
2010 ST1300
Guess you will have to balance your front wheel now. Only this time put the weights (mice) on the outside of the wheel.

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
WHY are there drain holes in the front wheel in the first place??
They're for mouse drainage. :sm1: :D

One of the changes they made between the 1100* and 1300 was a switch to wheels with hollow spokes. They're essentially a box, which is a much lighter structure that gives lots of strength. Light is important because it means less un-sprung weight, and less un-sprung weight makes the suspension more effective. (Doesn't hurt that it shaves some weight off the whole bike, either.) Strong is good because like the tires, the wheels get subjected to a lot more abuse because the ST is so heavy.

When you cast a hollow part, there has to be a medium inside that prevents the molten metal from flowing into places where you don't want it. Usually it's sand mixed with something that holds it together. There has to be a way for the sand to be kept in place while the metal is being poured around it, which is usually accomplished with holes that link it to other parts of the mold. Once the cast is complete, the sand is removed by blasting it out of the hollow part with water. The drainage holes help with that process, but they're really there to get rid of water and other stuff that gets in while you're riding. If it's left to accumulate, it will add weight to the wheels and if it doesn't accumulate evenly, the wheel balance will be thrown off.

--Mark

*I'm pretty sure the 1100's wheels are solid; there aren't any drain holes and you can see little nubs where the sprues were.

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
*I'm pretty sure the 1100's wheels are solid; there aren't any drain holes and you can see little nubs where the sprues were.
Yes, they are solid, without drain holes anyway, and that was the reason for my question. Thanks for the answer.

STill STylin

Red is ALWAYS faSTer
Bike
2005 ST1300A
STOC #
gee, some may call that "appetizer", other's "lunch" ??

all in the eyes (or stomach) of the beholder !

is that "medium" or "well done" ??

thank you,
-elliot

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
I've seen "stuff" draining from those holes in the wheel of my ST before too. Always figured it was brake dust or road grime. Never crossed my mind there might have been (be?) a critter in there.... shudder...

Top Bottom