Smuggler Experience?

Bike
2006 ST1300
Anyone using the Corbin Smuggler trunk behind the driver seat? They are expensive, but maybe worth it long term if it is durable and serviceable. I sure would like to hear any experiences with the Corbin Smuggler if anyone has something to share.

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
Got one on my 05 and love it!!!!! Holds Two wine bottles plus. Easier and bigger than the front fairing pockets. Wish I had a black one for the 06.

ToddC

OP
OP
milkmaster
Bike
2006 ST1300
I loved the Corbin seat on my old VTX machine. I just ordered the front saddle for my '06 ST1300 hoping I will like it just as much. I am holding off on the Smuggler investment until I can see how the new Corbin works out. I might just order the Smuggler if the Corbin is a successful venture.

Bike
'14 CTX1300
STOC #
The smuggler is an awesome everyday box. Convenient storage for tire gauge, gloves, maps, and other smaller items. Absolutely love mine. They are well built and feel very sturdy. I've not experienced any leakage due to the nice seal they use.
The only downside I have found is that you can't open it if you have the Honda top box installed. That's not much of an issue though as I don't usually ride with the top box on unless I'm riding two up.

Also, I only touch the backrest if fully slid back on my Corbin seat. Most of the time it doesn't touch my back.

image.jpg

Last edited:

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
Got a picture TODDC? Do you find the short backrest at the front of the Smuggler beneficial while riding or is it just for looks?
Not much support, but I hear they make a thicker one.

Here's a pic of the 05....._20160623_094530.jpg

Keep an eye on Craigslist nationwide and this forum. They come up for sale occasionally.

ToddC

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
My biggest issue with them is if you have a topcase mounted, you can't open the Smuggler. That's why when I bought my wrecked '04#2 and it came with one, but I sold it so I could have some $$$ to dump into fixing the bike! ;)

04Wrecked.jpg

Just something to think about if you have a topcase or looking to get one.

8-BALL

GeriatricMutantNinja Norwegian
Bike
ST1300 - NT700
STOC #
I got the Smuggler because it improves the style of the most beautiful bike in the world. The other benefits (described by others) were a very pleasant surprise. The Smuggler replaces the back seat and should fit with the original seat and any other split seat brand.

nerSTeve

Vendor
Bike
2007 ST1300A
STOC #
Have one on the '06, got one on the '07
Awesome. And... it DOES fit with the Hondaline Topbox! Don't believe the posts you see about it not.
This time last year i was on a lower 48 States trip and packed EVERYTHING I needed for 4 weeks in the side bags and the smuggler.. the Top Box came too but it only had my cold weather gear in it as I was hoping to make it to Alaska.
I bought the '06 one used here for $200... I stole it!!
I bought the 07 one here as well but paid $450 for it. Still very worth every penny.
I cant' see spending close to $900 for it though....

My Smuggler is on my bikes all the time unless I'm two up but I just bought her a bike so now it's there all the time.
0529151449.jpg0623150844.jpgIMG_0955.jpgIMG_2621.jpg

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I like the look and utility of the Smuggler but Oh My it's above my pay grade. It's only on my wish list in the hopes that the Good Bike Fairy would take pity and leave one under my pillow. She is real right?

What's the access like to the under-seat bits? It couldn't hurt to check the site I suppose.

nerSTeve

Vendor
Bike
2007 ST1300A
STOC #
Meant to add that they do in fact show up here from time to time but unless you ACTIVELY look for them, they are gone within minutes of the for sale post. I've only ever seen on on Craigslist and never on ebay. The CL posting the guy never got back to me.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
8-BALL said:
The Smuggler replaces the back seat and should fit with the original seat and any other split seat brand.
I missed your post. So the Smuggler is a rear seat replacement and goes on and off just like the factory rear seat. Thanks for that.

Bike
'14 CTX1300
STOC #
Have one on the '06, got one on the '07
Awesome. And... it DOES fit with the Hondaline Topbox! Don't believe the posts you see about it not.

My Smuggler is on my bikes all the time unless I'm two up but I just bought her a bike so now it's there all the time.
0529151449.jpg0623150844.jpgIMG_0955.jpgIMG_2621.jpg
I should have been more clear in my description. The Smuggler does fit on the bike with the Hondaline OEM top box. You just can't open the Smuggler when the box is in place. At least mine won't open. Maybe Corbin made an adjustment at some point?!

nerSTeve

Vendor
Bike
2007 ST1300A
STOC #
Both mine open fine. They are VERY close to touching but they do not touch. I read all about that issue before I bought my first one. Wasn't sure i wanted to deal with a "mod" that required shaving the lip of the Smuggler down 1/2 inch or if I wanted to take the top box off every time I wanted to get into the Smuggler. I was told by a few that they just push on the top box to the rear of the bike to get the smuggler open, but when I got my first one (used) I didn't have any issue. The 2nd one I got for the '07 (used) no clearance issue either. Top box on both bikes are mounted with the Hondaline mounts. So I say it works just fine. :shrug2:

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Luke Skywalker: Boy, it's lucky you have these compartments.

Han Solo: I use them for smuggling. I never thought I'd be smuggling myself in them. This is ridiculous.

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
I have one and I am very happy with it. It is a super-useful compartment to put all sorts of little stuff such as phones, cupholders, gloves, maps, stuff like that.

It fits the bike well, and looks good on the bike. I am very happy I bought it, and would buy one again if necessary.

Michael

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
Also, I only touch the backrest if fully slid back on my Corbin seat. Most of the time it doesn't touch my back.
Corbin will make the backrest any size and any thickness you want. I rode into Corbin's factory to have my seat made and Smuggler installed - they made three different backrests for me before we discovered the "perfect thickness".

They are a very customer-satisfaction-focused company - if anyone here is thinking of buying a Corbin seat, I really encourage you to ride to their factory, where they will then custom-fit the seat to you. The staff spent almost a full day with me carving the seat, then chucking it out and making a new seat with slightly different foam, until I was totally happy with it. The whole experience was very pleasant - there was no sense at all that "the clock was running", instead, the feeling was "we're not going to let this customer out until we see him smiling".

Michael

Bike
No bike
STOC #
Great look! Seems very useful! Horribly expensive, $853 new is a bit crazy to me, I've wanted one from the first time I saw it.... and I have never seen one here, on ebay, or on CL (nationwide) for sale....

Really rounds out the look of the ST....

Top Bottom