Smuggler Experience?

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
Great look! Seems very useful! Horribly expensive, $853 new is a bit crazy to me, I've wanted one from the first time I saw it.... and I have never seen one here, on ebay, or on CL (nationwide) for sale....

Really rounds out the look of the ST....
I talked a person who was about to trade in a bike with a heated seat and trunk to sell me those, because the dealer doesn't give anything for accessories. You all will hate me.........$450 for both. Color matched to my 05.
Same with another Corbin seat. $150 non heated. Just saying.......deals happen when you make them. Get creative when looking....offer a seller $ for their accessories.

ToddC

Byron

STOC #
I have and use my Smuggler trunk when I want a sportier look. To me it is another option. Like using my top box to carry larger items or when on a trip. I don't really consider the Smuggler as a back rest as I don't really ride upright, more of a forward position. Sort of like deciding which shoes or boots to wear for the day based on planed activities. I like the fact that storing things in it are truly better off than baking in the faring pockets.

If you are looking for a dedicated driver backrest I think the Utopia would do a better job.

ST13BIKE.jpg

If you're looking for more storage or sportier look than you will like the Smuggler.

Bike
2019 Goldwing Tour
I've always wanted one sense I got my ST but haven't seen one for a price I'm willing to pay. Maybe someday I'll get lucky.

nerSTeve

Vendor
Bike
2007 ST1300A
STOC #
I talked a person who was about to trade in a bike with a heated seat and trunk to sell me those, because the dealer doesn't give anything for accessories. You all will hate me.........$450 for both. Color matched to my 05.
Same with another Corbin seat. $150 non heated. Just saying.......deals happen when you make them. Get creative when looking....offer a seller $ for their accessories.

ToddC
That's how I started with my Silver one. Started looking at the '07s for sale on CL and Cycletrader. Had 2 deals and last minute they each fell through. One sold the bikes as is w/o telling me he had a looker. No biggie, good for him. The other just didn't want the hassle to ship from FL to me. Instead just left it on the bike when he traded it to the dealer. even had family will to drive a couple hours and pick it up for me. (Oddly enough that's exactly how I got my black one for the '06, posted her and before someone else grabbed it I called my sister, gave her the address and said GO NOW! hahaha... it stayed there till I rode down a couple months later and i shipped my rear seat back to myself).

Absolutely... the Smuggler on the ST makes this bike SEXY so it's hard to find one... must get creative and stalk the sellers... talk them into it. Takes nothing away from the sale of the bike unless they already have a looker and made it a selling point. If I ever get off the ST I'll return it to complete stock, but I don't see it happening anytime soon.

Good luck on your search! Search hard and every day, three times a day... the deal is out there but you have to hunt for it.

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
Hinge side always "upwind" ;)
Knew a rider who had mounted his hard saddle bags the wrong way.......never heard the lid fly open...lost a good riding jacket and a shirt before pulling over and noticing.........150 miles from departure......too far to go find them.

PS. Not me:)

ToddC

Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
I want a "Super Smuggler",,, kind of a cross between a police trunk and the Corbin unit. It should go all the way to the back of the luggage rack,,, be compatible with my Givi adaptor plate,,, and clamp down with the stock latching. Also, enough volume to accommodate my helmet, and provide for a drivers backrest,, while still having a nice aero shape. Is that asking too much ?? Actually,,, one of these rainy days I am going to mock something up,, to see how much of that is even possible. Cat'

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Jethro77 said:
certainly a "super smuggler" but with a slightly less elegant
:rofl1: At some point in a capacity context "super smuggler" becomes oxymoronic.

The Corbin unit is nice looking though.

Bike
2007 ST1300
I have one on my '07. I was lucky to find a used one in the right color on Ebay. I think I paid around $400. I find it very useful to store things like my small air compressor, flashlight, maps, gloves, etc.

I'm glad I have it, but there are a couple of minor nit-picky things. If the narrow pointy end of the lid and opening were just a bit wider, it would be easier to access the contents inside and get things in and out. Secondly, on mine the lid will not stay open by itself, so you have to hold it open with one hand while rummaging around inside with the other. A slightly different hinge design would take care of the problem. As I said, these are minor things and overall I like the Smuggler a lot.

Last edited:
Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
That's it !! well kinda'. Mine will somewhere between this purely functional design,, and the more ascetic Corbin Smuggler. But I sure applaud this effort. Last night,,, I popped the rear seat off and just parked my fullface helmet in that space. There was plenty of room around it,, to envision a shape similar to the Smuggler,,, but large enough to hold the helmet. Next step will be to mock up a floor panel. I will post a picture when I get that done. Thanks for the input,, gang,,, Cat'

Have a look here- post 104 & 106.

Top Bottom