fitting video cameras to my st1300

started to fit 2 video cameras to my bike one on the rear above the number plate and one on the front under the headlight recording on a sd card video recorder with a 128gb card the cameras are both car reversing cameras and a small sd card recorder got them of eBay from China all for about ?100 :)

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
started to fit 2 video cameras to my bike one on the rear above the number plate and one on the front under the headlight recording on a sd card video recorder with a 128gb card the cameras are both car reversing cameras and a small sd card recorder got them of eBay from China all for about ?100 :)
I'd like to know more about that "small sd card recorder" from ebay!

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
By a coincidence, I am expecting to receive tomorrow (Friday 6/24) a commercial product that sounds similar to what the OP is describing. Features:

* Small lenses that can be discreetly tucked away in corners of the bike
* Central recording unit wired to the bike's ignition for auto-on/auto-off capability
* GPS location connected to the video to allow exact reconstruction of vehicle position and speed displayed along with the video playback
* G-force sensor that auto-saves the video segment currently being recorded, in the event of a sudden change in G's
* Auto loop and record over unremarkable segments
* Wired remote to save video segments on demand
* Small stow-away pouch to keep all the wired and dealie-bob neatly secured under the seat

I'll post up photos and, hopefully, some in-action video once I have everything installed.

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
By a coincidence, I am expecting to receive tomorrow (Friday 6/24) a commercial product that sounds similar to what the OP is describing. Features:

* Small lenses that can be discreetly tucked away in corners of the bike
* Central recording unit wired to the bike's ignition for auto-on/auto-off capability
* GPS location connected to the video to allow exact reconstruction of vehicle position and speed displayed along with the video playback
* G-force sensor that auto-saves the video segment currently being recorded, in the event of a sudden change in G's
* Auto loop and record over unremarkable segments
* Wired remote to save video segments on demand
* Small stow-away pouch to keep all the wired and dealie-bob neatly secured under the seat

I'll post up photos and, hopefully, some in-action video once I have everything installed.
Great! How's about sharing what the item goes by and where to obtain one?...:)

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
Great! How's about sharing what the item goes by and where to obtain one?.
I plan to post a review once I have it and have had a chance to play. In the meantime, it's an INNOVV K-1 moto-cam unit. Made in, sold from, and ships direct from China to your door. Mine is due to arrive today. Ordered mine straight from the mfr's website.

Last edited:

Steve398

... another retired Black Rat.
Bike
2018 BMW R1200RT LC
One of my friends fitted his bullet-cam directly beneath the headlight under the nosecone, the first bit of heavy braking indelibly proved that there wasn't sufficient clearance for the (now marked) front fender.

I have mine under the mirror, fits a treat!

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I plan to post a review once I have it and have had a chance to play. In the meantime, it's an INNOVV K-1 moto-cam unit. Made in, sold from, and ships direct from China to your door. Mine is due to arrive today. Ordered mine straight from the mfr's website.
That looks pretty cool!

Bike
2018 NC750X
STOC #
This type of system is exactly what I have been waiting for... will be waiting for your review, Keith!

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
ibike2havefun said:
In the meantime, it's an INNOVV K-1 moto-cam unit.
http://www.innovv.com

Apparently there's a slight conflict with my browser and the site. I get a small notification from the site that says "We're sorry, this content.." and that's all I can see of it. Anybody else get that? I can see the site just fine though. I've seen this cam before (not in person) and it looks worth looking into.

STOC #
I have a Contour Roam and recently received as a gift a dash cam LS 460W that has better quality video but is meant for inside a vehicle and isn't waterproof. What I want to see is a properly sized, screw on optical quality lens cover that can be removed and cleaned so the lens is protected from bugs and debris. Not too sure I like the speed recording feature though...:confused:

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
I took the first halting, tentative steps on the install yesterday morning before my day got consumed by other previously-scheduled activities. The wire from the front cam to the back of the bike where the recorder will reside is routed from under the front fairing, through the fork and the mounting points for the right-side fairing, and thence between the cast aluminum frame and airbox before emerging at the seat height and fuel tank position adjustment bracket. This is not necessarily the final route; it was my first guess as to where the best / right route might lie. I ran out of time before I could actually secure the camera under the fairing but it seemed pretty evident that dead center might be a bad idea once I looked at how high the shiny clean chrome sections rise on the forks (suggesting the amount by which the fork compresses and "lifts" the front fender relative to the underside of the fairing).

All I can say so far is that a good stiff fish tape is an asset, if you are working alone. Oh, and it will take more tools than you think to do the job, as it always seems to do.

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I took the first halting, tentative steps on the install yesterday morning before my day got consumed by other previously-scheduled activities. The wire from the front cam to the back of the bike where the recorder will reside is routed from under the front fairing, through the fork and the mounting points for the right-side fairing, and thence between the cast aluminum frame and airbox before emerging at the seat height and fuel tank position adjustment bracket. This is not necessarily the final route; it was my first guess as to where the best / right route might lie. I ran out of time before I could actually secure the camera under the fairing but it seemed pretty evident that dead center might be a bad idea once I looked at how high the shiny clean chrome sections rise on the forks (suggesting the amount by which the fork compresses and "lifts" the front fender relative to the underside of the fairing).

All I can say so far is that a good stiff fish tape is an asset, if you are working alone. Oh, and it will take more tools than you think to do the job, as it always seems to do.
Don't forget to take pictures while you are working on it!

I just ordered mine.

I recently got a st1300 with a 12v socket in the left pocket. now assuming you have insulated the pocket and have a 12v socket I have a elegant cheap solution if you have a recent android which supports otg (google which models do). you will need the following.
otg cable with power. micro usb one end usb socket and usb plug the other ?5
logitech pro 9000 but any good webcam will do ?20 used
a decent 2amp usb cigarette socket plug ?5
a small clear box ?1
silicone ?1
3m tape ?2
a app like camerafi free

strip the Camera and remove bits you don't need/want like speakers mile etc
place webcam in clear box if the lens is sealed drill a hole in the box and push the Lens through
fill the box full of silicone being careful to avoid the lens
place somewhere warm to dry for a day or two
mount the camera using the 3m tape or make a bracket or wedge
run the cable into the pocket and plug into the otg cable and wrap with insulation tape tight
plug into you phone and bike 12v socket and start the app.
select resolution and tap record.

points to note.
you don't need a 12v socket and the otg power however you battery will drain quick
make sure you use a usb plug that is at least 2amp.
if you want a easier but bulky solution open the camera fill with silicone close it and fill any gaps/holes

Top Bottom