Question about the Tenere

Bike
'16 Versys 650LT
STOC #
As mentioned in THIS thread, I may have found a way to get back on 2 wheels. The discussion in the thread at that link discusses the BMW GS, my rental of it last week, and how it faired in relation to the neurological issue that has been keeping me off motorcycles for the last year. I specifically targeted the GS because of it's relatively flat seat that does not swoop up much as it approaches the gas tank.

Someone on Facebook as well as another ST forum mentioned that the Tenere might also work. I have some questions about it.

I went to a Yamaha dealer today and took a look. Possibly my imagination but the seat looks like it is a tad flatter than the GS. The best thing is that unlike the GS, on the low setting I can completely flat foot it! The main thing I'm concerned about though is heat coming from the engine. The GS?s engine is down low in the air whereas the Tenere?s engine is high up behind a fairing. There is an approximately 1? wide slot on either side between the tank and the fairing that could be a source of hot air though. Since I?m fairly sure that warm or hot air in the crotch area is what triggers the problem that keeps me from riding, heat coming from that slot could be a problem. I asked the salesman about this and he claims that the heat coming off the engine is forced down rather through those slots. I can't tell one way or the other by just looking into that slot.

Those of you who have a Tenere, do you feel ANY warm air at all coming from those slots (see picture)?

okckeith

Site Supporter
Bike
2017 Triumph Trophy
Sorry I can't help you with the heat question. But I did test ride a 2015ES last year before buying my Tiger 800. And I sure liked it a lot. I just wanted a smaller bike a could load in the back of my truck by myself. Can you find a dealer to let you take a test ride?

Byron

STOC #
If you're talking about the Super Tenere than PM Joe (Mellow) if doesn't see this thread first as he has one.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
No heat on the right side but a little on the left where the radiator is. You only notice it on a very hot day when you stopped at a light and the fan kicks on other than that you don't ever really feel any heat from the engine.

John

R.I.P. - 2024/01/22
Rest In Peace
Bike
'07 ST1300
STOC #
Hey Mick,

Ask Bug Dr. about it. He put lots of miles on the one he had.

Good to see you trying to figure out a way to get back on the road.

John

ST-venture

Randy Frank
Site Supporter
Bike
2018 GW Tour DCT
2024 Miles
STOC #
I find the Tenere cooler to ride than the ST1300 in almost all conditions.
The seat does slope slightly toward the tank so several riders change the bumpers heights under the seat to alter the slope.
I haven't found it to be an issue for me though.

Bike
'13 Yamaha ST
Have 30K on mine now. No heat from the right side, some on the left side about knee or slightly lower. If wearing any kind of riding pants, much less jeans, you most likely will not feel it. The radiator is on the left side upper side.

Mark

Top Bottom