Cascading maintenance

Bike
2009 ST1300
STOC #
Howdy listers,
This is just posted out of a little frustration mostly with myself for not noticing the problems sooner. The first item was a front tire replacement. I used the zip tie method and didn't even have to use irons to get the new tire on. While I had the front wheel off, I noticed one of my fork seals was leaking. So I pulled the fork and tried cleaning the seal. No dice :( I had new fork seals :) but no fork oil at my Montana house:(. Nearest fork oil - 70 miles west. I did get the PVC for the home made seal driver locally though. While changing the fork seals, I noticed a coolant seep. The cold nights here in West Yellowstone seem to encourage leaks. Last year (or two), I pulled the radiator to access the seeping clamps. I did that this time but couldn't see a leak at any of the visible clamps (tightened them anyway). Off comes more plastic and the air box to look into the "V". I can see a slight leak at a clamp under the rubber skirt near the left front of the "V" and tighten that. Since I have it apart this far, I may as well do a starter valve sync with my new, unused Motion Pro SyncPro tool. I have a new air filter and spark plugs on hand so those are installed. As the tasks and time added up, it was too much for my marginal battery which I killed dead a month or so ago and that battery now gave up. None available locally so another drive west 70 miles each way for a new battery.

Will this be the end :confused:???

Bike
No bike
STOC #
Ugh... but you should be so pleased with yourself once this is all done and you don't have to do any additional maintenance for a good long while. Hopefully that is the end of it!

OP
OP
jonz
Bike
2009 ST1300
STOC #
No, rinse and repeat is more likely! :)
Now that you mention it, I did wash the ST today. That was when I found out the battery wouldn't hold a charge. I couldn't push it up into the garage so I had to back the truck out, jump start the ST, ride it into the garage, and then pull the battery.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I see a new FJR in your future.......:D..........ff
Right because FJRs never need new tires, fork seals or batteries?.. yah... that's some cool aid I ain't drinking... lol

Jonz, congrats because you addressed a lot of stuff at once.. that's better than addressing one then having to take all the plastic off to address something else and feel like the bike is not reliable.. I can see a nicely maintained ST in your future, yours.

RCS

Will this be the end ???
Nah. But when you decide to do one item, plan to do several at the same time. For example, valve check, spark plugs, radiator coolant, brake and clutch fluid changes, and air filter. That will save lots of time by only taking the plastics off once.

OP
OP
jonz
Bike
2009 ST1300
STOC #
you just need to move 70 miles west. :D
Uhhhhhh, no. When I have more time, Amazon Prime is my go to for the items they have. Then Jake Wilson for street bike stuff and RockyMountain ATV for dirt stuff (same company basically) and shipping is 3 days (sometimes 2).

But when I need it now - 70 mile drive but it's not like a SoCal 70 miles. Nice highway through the forest for the first half and then second half across farm land with views of the Tetons.

Bike
2014 FJR ES 2009 WEE
Right because FJRs never need new tires, fork seals or batteries?.. yah... that's some cool aid I ain't drinking... lol

Jonz, congrats because you addressed a lot of stuff at once.. that's better than addressing one then having to take all the plastic off to address something else and feel like the bike is not reliable.. I can see a nicely maintained ST in your future, yours.
I didn't say how far into the future....:D.........STs last a long time, but they're not bringing any more into this country.....ride well, ride safe......ff

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Howdy listers,
This is just posted out of a little frustration mostly with myself for not noticing the problems sooner. The first item was a front tire replacement. I used the zip tie method and didn't even have to use irons to get the new tire on. While I had the front wheel off, I noticed one of my fork seals was leaking. So I pulled the fork and tried cleaning the seal. No dice :( I had new fork seals :) but no fork oil at my Montana house:(. Nearest fork oil - 70 miles west. I did get the PVC for the home made seal driver locally though. While changing the fork seals, I noticed a coolant seep. The cold nights here in West Yellowstone seem to encourage leaks. Last year (or two), I pulled the radiator to access the seeping clamps. I did that this time but couldn't see a leak at any of the visible clamps (tightened them anyway). Off comes more plastic and the air box to look into the "V". I can see a slight leak at a clamp under the rubber skirt near the left front of the "V" and tighten that. Since I have it apart this far, I may as well do a starter valve sync with my new, unused Motion Pro SyncPro tool. I have a new air filter and spark plugs on hand so those are installed. As the tasks and time added up, it was too much for my marginal battery which I killed dead a month or so ago and that battery now gave up. None available locally so another drive west 70 miles each way for a new battery.

Will this be the end :confused:???
Just want to point out something a lot of folks miss when doing coolant clamps...
The smaller hoses that come off the t stat body have a chrome type plating on them, and when they loosen up and start leaking, the coolant gets between the hose and the pipe fitting, and start rusting and pitting the pipe. Simply tightening them will do more harm than good.
You should pull the hose off and clean the fitting and check for damage.
I have found some so pitted and rusted that in JB weld had to be used the fill in the pits.
This is something you should always check while your in there.
Hope this helps someone.
Igofar

Top Bottom