7 years on a BATTERIES+ ----Z14S

8-BALL

GeriatricMutantNinja Norwegian
Bike
ST1300 - NT700
STOC #
F.Y.I.

After getting back to Des Moines, IA in 2009 from NATSTOCK-Spearfish on my 2006 ST1300 the battery went dead. I went to our local BATTERIES+ store and bought a format #Z14S (same # as YASA) AGM Power-Sports-Battery. Today, 7 years later, I replaced it with another BATTERIES+ battery with the same numbers.

I have three bikes that I keep on three Battery Tender Jr's when I am not riding them (the NT700 uses the same battery).

I know this is not unheard of but I am still pretty tickled.... hope the other 2 batteries do as well. The Batt+ people said they are still working on their Li-IRON and think it will be ready soon.

DAC

JimS

Today is a Good Day to Ride
Bike
'06
STOC #
Greetings from a former fellow Des Moiniac. I swear by my battery tender to the point of being evangelical about it. I use it on my car and truck now, too. It's kept my stock battery humming along since the bike was new. Every time I think I should replace it, a few minutes on the tender and it's just like new.

Bike
2006 ST1300
Knocking wood here...5 years and 3 months on a Scorpion battery, and yes, I do put it on a Battery Minder when not in use.

st1300doug

Yep....that Battery Tender is the deal. I have a '06, ONLY on the second battery now. But-I do keep the Yuasa brand.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
None of you guys report mileage on the battery, just how old it is?

Low/average/high mileage on batteries brings factors of # of cycles of charge/discharge, electrical system loads, operating and storage temperatures, vibration into play. That would be useful information.

A bike ridden several hours once a week doesn't need a tender but it's probably not going to last as long as a battery stored motionless at 60 degrees with a relatively constant full state of charge.

OP
OP
8-BALL

8-BALL

GeriatricMutantNinja Norwegian
Bike
ST1300 - NT700
STOC #
5K a year on the ST (and 5k on each of the other two bikes annually also) Mostly trips of 50-200 miles 3 times a week. 4 days a week to a small town 20 miles South of Des Moines, then some stop and go traffic and then back to Des Moines. 40K total miles on the 2006 ST and 20K each on the other two (Sorry if the years and miles don't add up but I am pay more attention to destinations etc.)

Once every few years a 1500 mi trip is on the schedule. Sorry this info. is so scattered and imprecise but I am 73 years old happily retired so I move whenever the spirit moves me. I ride with 5 grand fathers and one great grand father and sometimes with 10-15 CMA members.

Storred in a cold garage in the winter (4 months) and parked in the garage in the summer. If you can figure out my report and have more questions.... feel free. 7 years is still a ling time on 1 ST battery.

Low/average/high mileage on batteries brings factors of # of cycles of charge/discharge, electrical system loads, operating and storage temperatures, vibration into play. That would be useful information.

A bike ridden several hours once a week doesn't need a tender but it's probably not going to last as long as a battery stored motionless at 60 degrees with a relatively constant full state of charge.

JimS

Today is a Good Day to Ride
Bike
'06
STOC #
Knocking wood here...5 years and 3 months on a Scorpion battery, and yes, I do put it on a Battery Minder when not in use.
Double knock here! Feel like I've been living on borrowed time. :)

Good point. I don't have any power-farkles, but it can sit for a good period of time, depending on the time of year. There was a thread some years ago which instructed using a voltmeter to determine the amount of discharge occurring when the bike was being started. That led me to the Tender. If it sits for more than a few days, by habit I hook it up.

Top Bottom