Closing the can of worms...

Bike
94' 1100 ABS
I have been dealing with or procrastinating fixing a coolant leak. Found the problem today, actually three problems on the ST 1100. First filler neck was cracked with broken pieces in the radiator, lots of crud in the radiator, flushed and cleaned it. Hose under carb looked like it was leaking at some point so I replaced those as well. And the pesky over flow drain line was cracked. I thought I fixed this a while back by just clipping off the end and plugging it back in, but over the last few weeks the line completely split. So I replaced that one too with other hoses and t-stat.
While I was in there, replaced the timing belt. Hardest part to the belt replacement is just getting to it. The old one looked absolutely perfect for being on a 1994. Interesting that I don't think this was the original belt because it was off a few teeth or a few degrees. The motor has been running like crud at idle since Iv'e had it, I hope this helps.
Finally putting it back together with special attention to the boot isolators, new, the old ones may not have been se aling. I was hoping to get or make a fuel mixture tool, too much of a pain. Why would they invent that type of fuel mixture screw....nutz
Where can I find a mixture tool?

Putting it back togeher and hopefully get it started tonight and close this can of worms//

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
Sounds like you corrected a bunch of issues... off a couple of teeth... that would *really* make a difference.

I wouldn't even think of adjusting the mixture until you're wrung out the changes you've already made to the timing and carbs...

Congrats and good luck!

OP
OP
hotrod1
Bike
94' 1100 ABS
Thought about the elbows and o-rings, but they look perfect with no hint of a leak. The return lines were not in good shape so they are replaced. I just started it today and it feels very smooth, no idle fluctuations, etc. The old timing belt was off a bit. I think a PO changed the belt, lined up the cams, then lined up the crank index mark straight up, when it is actually off center to the left. What surprised me was the amount of dirt and crud in the radiator, and the broken and corroded filler cap. After shining up the coolant sensors the fan seems to come on at a lower temp. Its going to take a long ride to ensure the temp behaves itself.

Top Bottom