Tip-over or Get-Off??

CruSTy

My Perception is my reality.
Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
2024 Miles
STOC #
Tip over or Get Off? ST1300 SUX as an adventure bike. I was on an exploration ride on asphalt road. Road construction blocked my way so I had to make a U-Turn. Not enough room to complete it within the road surface so made the choice to continue the turn at the end of a gravel driveway. Lost the front wheel on the marbles. My first drop on the ST. Took two tries to get her back on her feet. Heavier than she looks. Killed the plastic engine guard cover but other than my pride neither one of us was injured. The engine guard did it's job even in the gravel no damage to the pannier. My video begs the question does this qualify as a Tip-over or a Get-off?
[HR][/HR]

[video]https://youtu.be/HM1bTO_Cgoc[/video]

Last edited:

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Ahh... just think. If you would have turned around at the first Road Closed sign you might not need to ask the question.... ;)

Highway STar

Jock of all trades
Site Supporter
Bike
2012 Victory Vision
STOC #
You cut a fine line between the two, and I would hate to start one of those flame wars on such a nice forum, but I believe that qualifies as a get-off. In my (admittedly humble) opinion, a tip over is technically only possible when the bike is not in motion. My last get-off was also in a driveway, only I was backing out of it off the curb and lost that crucial half an inch of contact with the pavement and down we went. Glad I am an ATTGAT rider as the wife would have been badly bruised from the tumble she took.

Our new policy is no backing up two-up.

Glad you got away unscathed.

8-BALL

GeriatricMutantNinja Norwegian
Bike
ST1300 - NT700
STOC #
Ahh... Probably a tip-off or a get-over since it is a mild get-off and a bit more than a tip-over. :D

Bike
No bike
STOC #
I'd say tip over since you were going so slow. Awesome that you have and shared the video! Also cool that you blew past the road closed signs with that "I wonder if it's true" attitude! Did you immediately follow it up with a wheelie, kinda looked like one to me...

OP
OP
CruSTy

CruSTy

Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
2024 Miles
STOC #
Ahh... just think. If you would have turned around at the first Road Closed sign you might not need to ask the question.... ;)
Thanks for the tip. I may try something different under the same circumstances next time. Speculating on what would, could or should have is not in my forte Plus I would not know why the road was closed. My Motto is Live, Learn and move on.

Last edited:
OP
OP
CruSTy

CruSTy

Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
2024 Miles
STOC #
Glad I am an ATTGAT rider as the wife would have been badly bruised from the tumble she took.
Not sure if I am ATTGAT but Gloves, Jacket, Helmet and Boots are always worn. Thanks to them I just dusted them off and climbed back on. Not a scratch on me. The tumble in the gravel would have been much worse for the guy I saw earlier on the Harley wearing only sneakers and gym shorts. OUCH!

Highway STar

Jock of all trades
Site Supporter
Bike
2012 Victory Vision
STOC #
Not sure if I am ATTGAT but Gloves, Jacket, Helmet and Boots are always worn. Thanks to them I just dusted them off and climbed back on. Not a scratch on me. The tumble in the gravel would have been much worse for the guy I saw earlier on the Harley wearing only sneakers and gym shorts. OUCH!
The wife wears armoured pants with hip pads. Being up so high on the back you can get flipped off hard when it goes over. And that is one tush I am very interested in keeping happy. :wink:

Bike
2010 ST1300
I'd say tip over since you were going so slow.
I agree. Tip over. Though you should see some of mine - I've been thrown by the bike like the ball by a pinball flipper....

a tip over is technically only possible when the bike is not in motion. Glad you got away unscathed.
Technically, the bike is in motion when it tips over - its going sideways.....:bow1:

Highway STar

Jock of all trades
Site Supporter
Bike
2012 Victory Vision
STOC #
I agree. Tip over. Though you should see some of mine - I've been thrown by the bike like the ball by a pinball flipper....

Technically, the bike is in motion when it tips over - its going sideways.....:bow1:
Point well taken.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
I too rate this as a tip over...
An avoidable one though... :wink:
I would have first swept to the left to start a 3-point turn to the RHS on solid tarmac, backing the rear wheel into the soft stuff...

OP
OP
CruSTy

CruSTy

Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
2024 Miles
STOC #
I too rate this as a tip over...
An avoidable one though... :wink:
I would have first swept to the left to start a 3-point turn to the RHS on solid tarmac, backing the rear wheel into the soft stuff...
Three point turn was my thought as I was falling to the gravel. Too Late!:banghead:

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Thanks for the tip. I may try something different under the same circumstances next time. Speculating on what would, could or should have is not in my forte Plus I would not know why the road was closed. My Motto is Live, Learn and move on.
I know, I would do the same thing. If only I would have stopped... but no... I have to always prove it... and often pay for it.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Five weeks ago I drove down a 'closed road' - because it was a Sunday and there was nobody working, I wanted to see what they were doing, and lurking in the back of my mind was the possibility that I could sneak a bike around whatever construction they were doing. No way - they were rebuilding a bridge and there was a deep trench across the road blocked by construction equipment. If you don't take risks, you don't learn.

The Dan

The Dude Abides
Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
2009 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
Awww that a Tip-Off...Clearly the bike tipped you off. Then you tipped it up to get even....LOL

Top Bottom