Engineering Question

Bike
2018 GL1800 DCT Tour
I'm in the single wheel trailer planning/collecting parts phase. I want to build the style in the link below. In this pic you can see that where it swivels side to side it is leaned forward. I have also noticed that on bicycle trailers and others this pivot point is leaned forward.

This type trailer hooks to the bike with a long bolt through the rear axle and that is where the up and down movement comes from.

So for you engineering types. Why the tilt forward at the pivot? I thinking maybe for extra "tongue" to road clearance in corners but not really sure.

Thanks

http://www.moto-mule.com/152.jpg

ScubaDave

Site Supporter
Bike
st 1300
STOC #
I have no idea why they did that. You can see the one I built in my gallery and mine does not have that and works great.

OhioDeere

Been There, Done That, Got the Shirt.
Bike
06 ST1300
Counter swivel. If it were straight any weight in trailer off center would make it ride off of center line of bike. This " makes alignment to bike a little more ridged"

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
It doesn't make sense to angle the swivel like that. In that swivel's current form, when the motorcycle suspension compresses, the trailer is provided forces thru that swivel which try to push the trailer out to the side. I bet that trailer doesn't trail straight except when there's no suspension movement.

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
To add some commentary.... Most trailer hitches are suspended from the bikes frame (under the seat), not from the swingarm.

This trailer hitch shows to be hard-mounted at the rear wheel axle and must rotate with the swingarm--when the suspension is compressed, the swingarm changes angle, and the trailer will be lifted (or will drop sideways). If someone sits on the seat and suspension is compressed, the trailer is lifted, so the trailer's suspension has to extend (or the trailer is lifted off the ground).

Very strange. Makes for a nice picture though. :)

It is also possible that there's an additional hitch pivot point around the rear axle, allowing the trailer not to be lifted by compressing the bike's suspension. :shrug1:

OP
OP
Skunkape
Bike
2018 GL1800 DCT Tour
This trailer hitch shows to be hard-mounted at the rear wheel axle and must rotate with the swingarm--when the suspension is compressed, the swingarm changes angle, and the trailer will be lifted (or will drop sideways). If someone sits on the seat and suspension is compressed, the trailer is lifted, so the trailer's suspension has to extend (or the trailer is lifted off the ground).
On many bikes including mine the rear axle is hollow. The trailer is mounted with a bolt/pin all the way through. The trailer is then free to rotate up and down there. The front of the trailer goes up and down with the bike's rear tire. Basically no suspension at the front of the trailer. However I think I have that worked out.

Check out this video it shows a lot more. About the 2:00 mark.

[video=youtube;dmBQHLxsC7M]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmBQHLxsC7M[/video]

Last edited:

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #
I am sceered of that design. For the reasons BB stated, the trailer would be taking a server beating when you hit any bumps at speed. And who does that? ;>)
I would look to drop a goose neck of sorts, from the frame, under the seat.

90210brandon

Be a Zero
Bike
07 Silver ST13
STOC #
I believe, the angle on the downtube spreads the forces through the bearings better than straight up and down.

Bike
2006 ST1300A
2024 Miles
The forward tilt creates negative feedback that reduces side to side oscillation when riding straight. The weight of the beer cooler will push the rear wheel to track behind the motorcycle. Just be real careful when ya get to camp cause yer beer will give ya a bath....

Last edited:
Top Bottom