99 ST1100 Rear Ride Height

Bike
99 Hon ST1100
With 45,000 miles on the bike, I'm looking to replace the rear shock. I've read several threads, but haven't seen anyone address ride height.

QUESTION: Has anyone experimented with increasing the shock length to raise the rear ride height? If so, what a good length?

I don't really want to pay to have a shock with adjustable ride height, because I'll probably only set it once, and never touch it again. The length of my current shock is about 13.5in, so I assume it is the original stock shock.

My Specs:
-6'0, 225-230# (depending on beer consumption from the night before).
-Mostly a commuter, but would like to have the support needed for a passenger (115-135#, hopefully she won't get bigger than that :D ) and 3 loaded, hard bags. (Bestem Top box, and stock panniers.)
-Spent 10 years road-racing EX500s, SV650s, SV1000, and a few other 4-cyl sleds, so am accustomed to well-tuned suspensions.
-I ride on/off DP bikes, too, so am very experienced in the ways of riding different terrains

Thanks in Advance,

Steve Clark
'99 Hon ST1100
'06 Kaw KLX250

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Elevating the rear will instantly impact front geometrics... steeper steering angle -> nervous, unruly front end...

You don't want to "raise" the rear end, you want a stiffer, more progressive spring with matching damper to cope with the payload.

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
Elevating the rear will instantly impact front geometrics... steeper steering angle -> nervous, unruly front end...

You don't want to "raise" the rear end, you want a stiffer, more progressive spring with matching damper to cope with the payload.
+1 on Martin's comments. You should be able to find one of the fine aftermarket shock manufacturers that can satisfy your requirements. Good luck.

John

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
Agree with the other comments, if you don't want an adjustable ride height shock, I'd leave it stock. Otherwise you're just guessing, and you're stuck living with your guess if its not adjustable. There's a decent chance you'd make things worse rather than better by modifying the geometry.

Top Bottom