My solution to left brake cluncking on bumps...

OP
OP
Ltimb
My next modification..... Wait for it...... I'm welding a fuel reserve directly to the top fuel tank... Not to worry though, I'll fill it with fuel so it won't explode, as we all know it's the fumes that explode, not the liquid... Yeah, did all that detail work and welded it together when it was on the bike (insert sarcastic smirk here)

Last edited:
Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A
You've seen my bike Vinny. You know how it's maintained. It has none of the things you mention as possible factors. The brakes are in excellent condition and kept that way. Those defects of worn or defective parts are not present in the video and wouldn't contribute anyway, the rattle is apparent when going over a bump or a rough spot of pavement when no brake force is applied. Braking applies force that takes up any play in the SMC assembly and there is no noise braking over bumps and rough spots.

The insurance argument is specious. No accident investigator checks for car tires on wrecked bikes do they? Darksiders run this risk routinely.
A quick call to my Insurance agent answered that question for me.
YES, he has denied "a few" claims on motorcycles, regardless of fault, due to the motorcycle(s) having been modified with "automobile" tires, and or Rear tires mounted on the front.
So just because you have not see or heard about it, does not mean it does not, or could not happen.
I didn't even ask about welding something to the brake system because I didn't want him to laugh at me and think I was an idiot.
A phrase from Forrest Gump movie comes to mind :rofl1:

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
"Life is like a box of chocolates."?
"Me & Jenny goes together like peas and carrots."?
"I just felt like running."?
"My momma has always said you have to get the past behind ya before you can move on."?
"My momma always told me that miracles happen every day. Some people don't think so, but they do."?

Bike
2018 NC750X
STOC #
I think the heat has gotten to all of us... we're spending more time inside on the computer than we are riding. If it works for Ltimb, then so be it. I for one would not have done it, BUT I will give him credit for ingenuity!

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Did someone say Trolling... deep sea here...
YES, he has denied "a few" claims on motorcycles, regardless of fault, due to the motorcycle(s) having been modified with "automobile" tires, and or Rear tires mounted on the front.

Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A
.....call YOUR agent and tell them you've modified your bike with a car tire and ask YOUR agent if it will be a problem or issue if you are ever in ANY kind of accident on your bike.

OP
OP
Ltimb
Dude seriously.... The teacher gave you your gold star for being a good boy AND gave you an extra 5 minutes of nap time for telling on Bobby when he pulled Suzie's hair. I think you can rest with ease tonight...

You actually called your insurance agent to validify your stance?.. Holy shlt, was it not enough attention as a kid or were you "special"?

Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A
Ok I probably had that coming....I apologize for any sarcastic comments that I threw out there.
I probably should have just pointed out that when you modify something as serious as a brake system (which is your decision) but then post it on an open public forum, where someone may try and mimic or copy your work, you should have warned folks not to try this at home etc.
I already got two phone calls today asking me if I saw the "new smc fix"
saying they were thinking about trying it and wanted to know how safe it was, since they didn't know anything about bleeding brakes, but had a friend with a welder!
Again, I am sorry for my comments.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ltimb
Appreciate you manning up. 99% of ST riders are OCD and that is why we ride these things as they are near perfect.. Well except for the Suspension (RaceTech upgraded), No Cruise (Rostra installed), crappy seat (RDL modified) Handlebar positioning (Heli added), Windshield position (custom modified).... From there it's just personal preferences like lights, trunk, hooker on pillion (just seeing if you're still reading)....... My mod does nothing to affect braking, yes I can see if you didn't know how it works (my mod not the SMC) you would not support it but the reason I posted it was I was reading others actually put a piece of rubber, somehow wedged in there, to stop the noise and I thought that was not the right way to correct this. I didn't jump up their arce as it's their business if they wanted to reduce the SMC's function. Really all their rubber solution did, at worst, was incapacitate rear braking from the front caliper, and 98% of the bikes on the road run without brake linking and the world still turns..

Last edited:
Top Bottom