How you choose a campsite on your trip?

Afan

... and this is my real name.
Bike
1998 ST1100
STOC #
For the 4th of July weekend I plan to do a trip, about 1300 miles. I know the start point, I know the end point, and several POI along the route. And I know there will be a few more POI I don't even know about. I plan to camp. The problem is I don't know how many miles I'll ride per day. Because if something unplanned happened, regardless if it is good or bad, I wouldn't reach the place - if I planned it right now, at home. And I don't want to plan everything to details. So, I wonder how are you choosing a campsite on the fly while riding? Do you make a list of (almost) all good campsites? Or do you stick to National/State Parks? Do you use any "apps" on your phone to find the nearest campsite?

Bike
2010 ST1300
Two types of campsites - stealth and others. If you are hoping for 'legal' campsites, you might search the internet for the areas you will be traveling in for - Nat Parks, State Parks, and private campgrounds such as KOA's. Just have a general feel for where they are, or bring a list and head for one when it hits 2:00 PM or so. The problem with this approach is that the 4th weekend is a busy one for campgrounds.

And then there are stealth - or places where you can set up a tent far enough away from a road that you can pitch your tent and stay overnight without being bothered. For the latter, you need to be in a rural area and happen upon the right circumstances. Many years ago, I just pulled off the road, threw a ground cloth down and put my sleeping bag on it and went to sleep. I'm a lot older now and would not feel as confident doing that any more. If there are farms around, how about driving up to the house and asking if you can pitch your tent in the corner of a field (hopefully away from livestock)?

You might PM Joe - aka Mellow and ask him - he has written about this subject before.

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
+1 what he said. I really don't feel comfortable stealth camping. But I've run through many plans for longer trips and feel confident things would work out like returning from NatSTOC last year. I knew generally the route I would be on and did a lot of looking to learn where the nearest 6 or so campgrounds were, including KOA and state parks, along that general route. I didn't know where I would stop for sure but had an idea where I'd get to. When the time was getting close to stop I pulled in to one of those places to set up camp for the night. I've planned a half dozen routes from home to southern AZ and scoped out a dozen state parks and campgrounds somewhere between here and there knowing I would likely take 3-4 days to get there. One check to do is look up on the web site for a campground to see if there is opposition to motorcycles. Most allow mc but I've found one or two that don't. I know I haven't actually gone on longer multi-day trips like these (other than NatSTOC) but from reading adventures of others I am confident in being able to do so without issue finding someplace to sleep.

Bike
1999 ST1100
STOC #
This is always the issue that prevents me from doing more long trips. Having said that, a couple trips west of 5k and 6k miles worked out fine.

here's a tip i have found helpful, don't be dissuaded by "campground full" signs. go in and ask for overflow, rustic or whatever space they might have. also ride through and see if there is a biker willing to share his space. definitely do not be constrained to national and state parks, national parks tend to be the most crowded and least flexible, private campgrounds will usually try to find some way to accommodate your money.

Bike
ST1300A 2007
In this regard, i love Sweden. We have "Allemansr?tten"

http://www.swedishepa.se/Enjoying-nature/The-Right-of-Public-Access/This-is-allowed/Camping--tents/

When i go for my yearly bikeride i always bring my tent. I spend 2-3 nights i tent and then one night in hotel. Doing so makes me feel good and fresh almost all the time.

I ride 450-650 miles a day on my trips.

If i go abroad i always start looking for campsites or hotels around five a clock. Never book anything. I will then have one to two hours before the rest of other campers arrive to get a place to sleep. I have only once in my last eight years of riding missed to get a place to sleep. (It was in Norway).
Have been riding in Sweden, Denmark, Norway, Germany, Switzerland, Czech Republic and the same principle works all the time.

Regarding the sleeping on rides, once i drove all night (It was never dark), after more than 30 hours in the saddle my body was a bit confused because it never got any sleep!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midnight_sun

Tankereng

Site Supporter
Bike
2018 Goldwing
STOC #
Carry an old fashioned road atlas... Doesn't require internet connection and shows campground symbols that don't always show up on interenet based maps....

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I've had good luck sticking with national and state parks with the occasional KOA thrown in due to convenience. However, I don't like to plan a trip ON a holiday as those places to get filled up.

I try to plan a short and long destination each day.. a short one might be only 300-400 miles for the day but if I happen to see something I want to explore along the way I don't feel pressured to not do it because I won't make my campground... I'm typically a 600-800 mile day rider except for some places like the west coast where you're lucky to get in a 400 mile day due to all there is to see, slow speed limits and many small towns and sights.

There's a pretty nice pay-app called Allstays Camp and Tent which is pretty good and finding campgrounds you'd never see while riding or even think to search for when planning.

Reactions: Wes
OP
OP
Afan

Afan

... and this is my real name.
Bike
1998 ST1100
STOC #
While in this field, what you use to find interesting places and POI near you route?
What I do
- Search on Google "Top 10 things to do/see in [town/city/county name]"
- Zoom in Google map
- roadtrippers.com
- roadsideamerica.com

You?

EASt

Streuselkuchen
Bike
S1000XR
Bumping, but if you have a GPS unit, and do a google search for "Campground POI" or something, you'll find a loadable POI with thousands of North American Campsites. I used this pretty successfully on one trip. When I was ready to get off the bike, I'd call up the nearest camp site, and go.

It's hit and miss though. I went to one that turned out to be a city park in Wyoming. Jungle gyms, swings, and a water fountain in the middle of a neighborhood. It was a legal place to camp, but I moved on anyhow.

OhioDeere

Been There, Done That, Got the Shirt.
Bike
06 ST1300
What your doing is exactly what I do.. I DON'T PLAN AHEAD! much less stress in this manner..
I use "Reserve America" app for smart phone.. It will search camp grounds based on your position..
My experience has been that most national or state camp grounds haven't turn me down when I arrived at the gate.. they have been nice enough to find me a piece of ground somewhere. Under pavilions is the best places I've pitched a tent..
The RA app will allow you to set up an account with credit card and will automatically pay for your purchases.

If i remember correctly there are KOA and other private campgrounds also that will come up on the APP?

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
here's a tip i have found helpful, don't be dissuaded by "campground full" signs. go in and ask for overflow, rustic or whatever space they might have. also ride through and see if there is a biker willing to share his space. definitely do not be constrained to national and state parks, national parks tend to be the most crowded and least flexible, private campgrounds will usually try to find some way to accommodate your money.
yeah, that was my experience years ago when I actually toured, you can always cram a few bikes into just about any corner of the campground where nobody else wants to be. Pay them the going rate for a real spot, take what you can get, and you're good.

My favorite camping scheme was at about midnight ask the bartender, hey if we drink here until 2AM can we just crash in the parking lot? Never got a "no" answer to that one. Woke up one Saturday morning to the sound of a bunch of people setting up a swap meet/flea market in the parking lot.

Bike
2014 Yamaha FJR
Many years ago, I finally gave into my buddy's relentless persistence in trying to convince me to try moto-camping. After one night, I was hooked for life. The new camping gear technologies eliminate all of the fuss and worry about getting wet or cold or having to pack 200 pounds of crap.

But what I didn't realize is that camping allows me to TRULY enjoy what I view as the essence of a motorcycle adventure. I'm 52 years old and for my first 45 years, I lived in a box. Always planning. Always preparing. Always worrying. For what and about what I cannot really say. I guess I always felt an obligation to be responsible and ready for anything, a concept that looks good on paper, but doesn't always work out where the rubber meets the road, if you'll pardon the pun. The side effect of this is that it's exhausting. Physically at times, but mentally at ALL times.

What I realize now is that re-entering the motorcycle hobby at age 45 was about a LOT more than what some may perceive as a mid life crisis. I realized that what I wanted is not what I got. Touring on the motorcycle is the key to the door out of the box that was my life. It allowed me to broaden my horizons, both geographically and (more importantly) emotionally. I learned that there is absolutely nothing to be scared of or even worry about. I still have to use common sense, but in today's world of cell phones, GPS, and credit cards, there is no need to plan for anything, really.

And camping brings that to a much higher level. Since I have my house with me, I don't have to worry about finding any place to live tonight. I don't need any reservation, and by association, I don't need to follow any agenda or route. Long ago, in preparation for a tour, I used to sit at the computer and create these elaborate routes for each day, downloading files from outer space onto my GPS, and printing elaborate turn by turn directions for my tank bag map window. What a joke! By no later than the 2nd day, we'd find a brown sign somewhere, or maybe a particularly interesting section of pavement off to the side somewhere else. Our curiosity would overwhelm us, and off the "route" we go, never to use it again.

In my opinion, when you get to that point, that part where you can wander like a dog following his nose - you have reached the pinnacle of what riding is REALLY about. And all it takes is two things: (1) Confidence that you have the resources and knowledge to address whatever greets you around that next corner, be it good, bad, or otherwise, and (2) Acceptance that it doesn't really matter where you go from here because it is ALL good. Every single mile of it is fantastic and it doesn't matter what the highway sign says. So if that particular instant you aren't bedazzled with a world class discovery, you can take comfort with thoughts running through your mind about the excitement of the unknowing. You can get excited about whatever it is you will discover just over that next hill. And you can stop and sniff as much or as little as you want.

Once you master this, and find 3 or 4 riding friends that buy into it too, well... it just doesn't get any better than that.

As for choosing a campsite, the highest priority for me is a picnic table. Having a place to cook, sit down and eat, and a dry place to unpack and stow your gear is very important. My next highest priority would be a campfire ring and grille. Then I prefer paved driveways and roadways to get to the site. Next would be showers at the campground. After that, I don't care and frankly, if it has nothing else, so much the better because this will eliminate the rolling 1500 square foot houses that bring their boom boom stereos, 75" TVs, 10,000 watt generators, and yappy dogs.

The best kept campground secret in America is the Army Corp of Engineers sites. It's very hard to find them because the don't really advertise them, and the ACOE website is junk. But you can trust me on this - if you find an ACOE campground and are ready to stop, go for it. It will be clean and desolate with plenty of firewood nearby to gather.

Top Bottom