How you choose a campsite on your trip?

scootac

Will Ride for Food
Long ago, in preparation for a tour, I used to sit at the computer and create these elaborate routes for each day, downloading files from outer space onto my GPS, and printing elaborate turn by turn directions for my tank bag map window. What a joke! By no later than the 2nd day, we'd find a brown sign somewhere, or maybe a particularly interesting section of pavement off to the side somewhere else. Our curiosity would overwhelm us, and off the "route" we go, never to use it again.

In my opinion, when you get to that point, that part where you can wander like a dog following his nose - you have reached the pinnacle of what riding is REALLY about. And all it takes is two things: (1) Confidence that you have the resources and knowledge to address whatever greets you around that next corner, be it good, bad, or otherwise, and (2) Acceptance that it doesn't really matter where you go from here because it is ALL good. Every single mile of it is fantastic and it doesn't matter what the highway sign says. So if that particular instant you aren't bedazzled with a world class discovery, you can take comfort with thoughts running through your mind about the excitement of the unknowing. You can get excited about whatever it is you will discover just over that next hill. And you can stop and sniff as much or as little as you want......

........As for choosing a campsite, the highest priority for me is a picnic table. Having a place to cook, sit down and eat, and a dry place to unpack and stow your gear is very important. My next highest priority would be a campfire ring and grille. Then I prefer paved driveways and roadways to get to the site. Next would be showers at the campground. After that, I don't care and frankly, if it has nothing else, so much the better because this will eliminate the rolling 1500 square foot houses that bring their boom boom stereos, 75" TVs, 10,000 watt generators, and yappy dogs.
+1000000
I especially like the part of all the GPS and route planning being a joke!!!

If you're doing all this riding an ST....get a dual sport and it will open a whole 'nother world!!!!

Bike
2014 Yamaha FJR
Andrew - that is a good website for finding ACOE campgrounds. I sincerely hope no one else finds that website. Let's all agree to keep it a secret among ourselves....

Scootac - no dual sport yet.

Yet.

Bike
'99 ST1100
STOC #
Say NO to private campgrounds and a big YES to public sites... How I find mine and choosing sites with a hot shower and flush toilets can't be beat...
https://www.ultimatecampgrounds.com/index.php
I have been using the USCAmpgrounds locator and I am glad that you posted the link to Ultimate Campgrounds. The free USCAmpgrounds database was compiled by Tom Hillegass who passed away and I am not sure if the database is being updated. I've had problems using the free database such as arriving at sites that do not allow tents, wrong coordinates and campgrounds that no longer exist. The Ultimate Campgrounds locator doesn't have most of these problems, but I did find a park (Chena River State Recreation Area in Fairbanks AK) that gives the coordinates for the center of the park and not the coordinates for the park entrance which is hidden away on a side street. The prices for Ultimate Campgrounds apps and POI database appear to be reasonable.

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
I thought the Ultimate Campgrounds looked really good compared to a lot of other options I've used, so I bought the app.

Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
I haven't done this in many years, but when I was in my teens/early 20s, I was an avid bicycle touring guy. I travelled very light and used to camp in a cheap pup tent and a light sleeping bag. I never tried to cook, although I would sometime bring a sandwich or two along plus a flask of an adult beverage.

For camping sites, I used provincial or national parks and if none were available, I would find a cemetary and pitch my tent behind the biggest mausoleum I could find. This has several advantages:
- no loud parties;
- the neighbours are quiet and orderly;
- it is quite unlikely that anyone will bother you after dark.

I certainly never had a campfire and after dark, I simply went to bed. As long as you don't leave a mess and clear-out before about 7:30 AM, no harm done. I did this many times all over Canada and the US and NEVER had any difficulties at all. Once, I encountered a clergyman early in the morning, but he simply grinned at me as I walked my bike out of his graveyard, and wished me a nice day.

I don't know how this would work in modern times, but in the 1970s, it worked great!

I'd be interested to know if anyone else has done this more recently.

Last edited:
Bike
'99 ST1100
STOC #
I’d be interested to know if anyone else has done this more recently.
I have stealth-camped several times this year due to necessity, when it got dark before I found a campsite. Now, I try to find a campsite after dinner and try to allow about 1 1/2 hours before sunset. Other times when I want to burn every bit of sunlight, I ride until sunset and camp at the next rural church yard or power line cut. Sorry, I haven't tried cemeteries yet.

STrangr

Mike O.
Bike
2007 St-1300 Abs
STOC #
Once you master this, and find 3 or 4 riding friends that buy into it too, well... it just doesn't get any better than that.
Really well written, and kind of inspiring. I am one of those 3 or 4 friends that buy into it.

Top Bottom