Article INNOVV K1 2-channel video camera install

STGuy

Play it makes life fun
Bike
2007 ST1300A
Well, you're too late anyway, They quit selling that model! They have a new model though: innovv K2
Yeah, I was looking at that model. I still don't trust that it does stop recording time that someone could pull. It could just not show. Suspicious that way.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

STGuy

Play it makes life fun
Bike
2007 ST1300A
And you do not have to connect the GPS... you can also turn off the speed and location over print on the video.

Or, just ride responsibly.....
I do most of the time. Just out west in wide open spaces I may get above the speed limit. Most times I stay 5 over unless I am on the super slab then I go with the flow of traffic to stay alive.

Bike
F900 XR
2024 Miles
Yeah, I was looking at that model. I still don't trust that it does stop recording time that someone could pull. It could just not show. Suspicious that way.

If you get in an accident, I would assume the power would quit to the bike at some point. With even a 64 GB memory card, that camera should keep recording throughout the entire time until the bike is shut down.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #

I was reading up on some of that issue and one guy said he replaced his power supply and quit using the one they provided and it cleared up. So I just might try that with mine!

OP
OP
ibike2havefun

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
I was reading up on some of that issue and one guy said he replaced his power supply and quit using the one they provided and it cleared up. So I just might try that with mine!
Boy am I interested in the results of that experiment, if you elect to try it.

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Boy am I interested in the results of that experiment, if you elect to try it.
Yeah, there's a couple of things I want to try. One is to find a piece of plastic and attach to the DVR with places to zip tie the wires to to hold them in place, so the connections can't come lose, and the battery cover doesn't come off. Maybe put some holes in it for cooling the battery down. (I've had it get really hot!)

But, just one of the things on my list! ;)

Bike
F900 XR
2024 Miles
Can you use heat shrink tubing on your connections? That should hold them in place. Even duct tape would work.

Chris

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Can you use heat shrink tubing on your connections? That should hold them in place. Even duct tape would work.

Chris
No, the plugs (micro USB) plug directly into the DVR.

Duct tape would just make it a big mess.

Bike
F900 XR
2024 Miles
Bummer. I can see now why vibration would cause issues too. That's a connection that is designed for infrequent use in places like on a desk in an office environment.

HaloCam started with a well-designed plug that had a key to prevent bending the pins inside. It was pretty foolproof and made a solid connection. They included heat shrink tubing to ensure it was waterproof. When they sent the replacement camera to me, they changed to an even better plug. It presses together still, but then has a screw type connector back shell (?) to hold it in place and make sure no water gets in.

I suspect the camera makers look at the problems that surfaced with their existing products and also at the competition. I'd love to see a really indepth, unbiased review of the K2.

Chris

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Bummer. I can see now why vibration would cause issues too. That's a connection that is designed for infrequent use in places like on a desk in an office environment.

HaloCam started with a well-designed plug that had a key to prevent bending the pins inside. It was pretty foolproof and made a solid connection. They included heat shrink tubing to ensure it was waterproof. When they sent the replacement camera to me, they changed to an even better plug. It presses together still, but then has a screw type connector back shell (?) to hold it in place and make sure no water gets in.

I suspect the camera makers look at the problems that surfaced with their existing products and also at the competition. I'd love to see a really indepth, unbiased review of the K2.

Chris
Yeah, the K2 caught my attention too, but I'm not going to be making and large purchases I don't absolutely need for the next four years, until we get our house built and move into it!...or later! :eek:

OP
OP
ibike2havefun

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
I just didn't have the confidence that the K2 would really be better than the K1 so I'm not going to go there

OP
OP
ibike2havefun

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
If you get in an accident, I would assume the power would quit to the bike at some point.
I think the point STGuy was making was that, even if you are not overprinting location and speed on the *visible* image, it may still be getting saved somewhere in the data and therefore could be accessed by someone with the know-how. The solution for that is to not connect the GPS lead, at all so the recorder is denied the information in the first place and cannot make the calculation.

To your point: the DVR has a G-force spike detector that is supposed to automatically preserve the current recorded files in the event of an impact. Trouble with that is, it was so sensitive (even at the lowest level) that it would preserve video segments when I hit a speed bump or a pothole, even at modest residential street speeds. So I turned it off.

Bike
F900 XR
2024 Miles
I think that's one of those differences in the INNOVV products and the HaloCam product. There is a GPS receiver and it does record where you've been and your speed. But it doesn't imprint that on the video. It looks like it should in the menu, but I don't see it.

And there is a similar G-shock setting, but I've pretty much left it alone. In normal riding, I haven't seen it save any videos on its own, like when hitting a speed bump hard. Maybe it is adjusted better? Maybe it doesn't work at all? It's not important enough for me to spend time fussing with it and perhaps inadvertantly making some setting change that screws up the part I do care about, which is good quality recording from both cameras.

I place the need for the G-sensor capability about in the same category as where to place my DeLorme inReach SE. Some people want the transmitter on their body in case they go in a ditch and are separated from their bike. I leave it on my bike out of convenience primarily, but also just practicality. In my thinking, if I get in an accident and go off the road, the thing will keep transmitting for days from one spot and the SAR people will find me that way.

Likewise for the HaloCam. The video portion will show what it going on at the time. And since you can hear my engine, you can tell quickly if I'm accelerating, coasting, or coming to a stop.

Whatever is recorded is far better than having nothing.

Chris

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
While at the Long Beach motorcycle show this last weekend, I came across the guys from INNOVV and talked to them about the reset issue ("Recording Stopped") with the K1.

They were somewhat apologetic that the units were a bit unstable that way.

They had the new K2 units there and were selling them for $300 (that's $40 off). I was really thinking of picking one up for some time, but seeing them at the show and when they told me that they would give me an extra $40 off (Because I had bought the K1) from the show price (@$260), I couldn't resist!

So, once I have it installed, I'll let you know how it goes and what I think of it.

So watch for my INNOVV K2 Install and what I think of it compared to the K1.

If this works out, I just might have a couple of GoPros and other assorted cameras for sale! ;)

OP
OP
ibike2havefun

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
Bob

I am very interested in what you learn. Wonder whether INNOVV will be at the DC show in Feb.

FWIW I had no issues with it on yesterday's 2 x 30 mile rides, with the new card. But it was a cool day, and I have not checked whether it actually recorded anything.

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Bob

I am very interested in what you learn. Wonder whether INNOVV will be at the DC show in Feb.

FWIW I had no issues with it on yesterday's 2 x 30 mile rides, with the new card. But it was a cool day, and I have not checked whether it actually recorded anything.
I still have my old unit partially mounted on my 2012, and I'm going to try a few things with it, like changing how the 5V power gets to it and try securing the plugs somehow.

I think I'll mount the K2 on my 2010, which is what I'm commuting on right now, and this weekend, I hope to get it mounted.

Bike
F900 XR
2024 Miles
My first impression of the motopro camera was "Wow! These things are expensive." No wonder they offer financing on their web site.

I just got back from Thailand and people there are using dash cameras in their cars, much like the Russians have been doing. The brand seemed like something that came from China or Korea. Nothing special. It seems like dash cameras are getting to be a commodity item, like computers became. Paying extra for a camera any more now, does not seem to indicate you'll get any better quality than from some of the cameras going for under $200.

Just saying...

Chris

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Price alone is seldom a good indication of quality. That's where research comes in. For a lot of people the price is only an indication of how much they're willing to pay regardless of 'quality'.

Dashcams in cars are more often than not limited to a single unit of varying features and low resolution. It's just a wild guess on my part but you won't get the highest quality cam systems around for $200. That that will get most people is 'good enough'. Sometimes 'good enough is good enough and better than nothing at all. And that's good enough for some people. LOL

What I'm looking for in a dash cam starts with 4K@60fps with dual cameras and the ability to read a license plate without having to get too close. Because of the generally wide angles of cams and lower resolution we can sometimes read license plates that low-res cameras don't capture. And my computer doesn't have an ENHANCE button. Most other features would probably be negotiable. I like the camera's WiFi that uploads the video to your phone. To me that's a quality feature. If I wait long enough it will get cheaper.

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
If I wait long enough it will get cheaper.
Don't count on it. As they come up with more features, they just get more expensive...except the older models the new ones are replacing that is! :rolleyes:

Top Bottom