Headlights dimmed the other day & today went off completely?

Gug

Bike
18' Goldwing Tour
As the above says they dimmed a few days ago and this morning when I started it they were fine, then while idling went off completely. I turned her off/on and the headlights were fine. Page 22-30 of the manual has the "Headlight Relay" for troubleshooting. Could this be it? Anyone have a like experience. Any pointers would be appreciated.

Thank in advance for any replies.
Dennis

Byron

STOC #
I haven't had this issue but it is similar to a computer issue that was acting similar. It seems the contacts, like were fuses and relays connect in their holders or sockets, begin to film over and loose contact. I used to pull all the boards in the computer and simply put them back in and it would solve the problem. Doing this would clean off the film and allow good contact again. It wouldn't hurt to pull all your fuses and relays every now and then, cleaning were necessary and then putting them back in. It could also be the plug on the bulbs themselves but since both are going out more than likely not the plugs. It doesn't cost anything and hopefully it will resolve your issue.

schlep1967

Bill
Bike
GL1800
STOC #
Another simple free thing. I would start with cleaning Starter button, hi-low beam switch and maybe even the kill switch..

OP
OP
Gug

Gug

Bike
18' Goldwing Tour
I haven't had this issue but it is similar to a computer issue that was acting similar. It seems the contacts, like were fuses and relays connect in their holders or sockets, begin to film over and loose contact. I used to pull all the boards in the computer and simply put them back in and it would solve the problem. Doing this would clean off the film and allow good contact again. It wouldn't hurt to pull all your fuses and relays every now and then, cleaning were necessary and then putting them back in. It could also be the plug on the bulbs themselves but since both are going out more than likely not the plugs. It doesn't cost anything and hopefully it will resolve your issue.
Thank You, I will try it.

OP
OP
Gug

Gug

Bike
18' Goldwing Tour
Another simple free thing. I would start with cleaning Starter button, hi-low beam switch and maybe even the kill switch..
Thank You, I have some electrical cleaner. I literally give it a shot.

Bike
2006 ST1300A
2024 Miles
This should help focus your trouble shooting to the appropriate fuses, switches, relays and wires.

HeadLightWireing.jpg

If they both went out then look at the starter switch, dimmer switch, ignition switch, main fuse A, sub fuse D/E.

The relays, main fuse B, sub fuse G/I only affect the left side bulb.

Last edited:

v8-7

Site Supporter
I had a similar problem..lights would go off, but hi-beams would work. I could wiggle the dimmer switch a bit and the lights would go off or back on .

Cleaning the switch solved the problem.

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
Dirty switch contacts. No need to dig deeper unless cleaning them with contact cleaner doesn't fix the problem.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Happened again last night. Where are these contacts at?
Commonly it is the starter button. Pressing it turns off the headlights and triggers the starter motor. If the button sticks a little the headlights remain off after the engine starts.

OP
OP
Gug

Gug

Bike
18' Goldwing Tour
Commonly it is the starter button. Pressing it turns off the headlights and triggers the starter motor. If the button sticks a little the headlights remain off after the engine starts.
Thanks Duelin. It seems right, I did a Google search and found this thread #18 on it is the answer. I went out in the garage turned on the bike, no headlights. Armed with a paper towel and CRC Electric Contact Cleaner, bunched up the towel, held underneath the starter switch and sprayed the CRC in every opening. A lot of black stuff came out. Turned on the ignition and voila! Headlights. Again "Thanks for all your help"!!!

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Thanks Duelin. It seems right, I did a Google search and found this thread #18 on it is the answer. I went out in the garage turned on the bike, no headlights. Armed with a paper towel and CRC Electric Contact Cleaner, bunched up the towel, held underneath the starter switch and sprayed the CRC in every opening. A lot of black stuff came out. Turned on the ignition and voila! Headlights. Again "Thanks for all your help"!!!
I'm glad you fixed it but I can't take credit - I just got on the keyboard first. Plenty of us have had or read of a similar problem. Just two days ago a ST1300 rider I was out with had the same problem occur when we stopped for a rest stop. He jiggled the start button and the lights came on.

Now though you should go into that switch and relube the contacts. The cleaner fixes the acute problem but by removing all of the old grease in there but the problem will return and may require a new switch next time due to corrosion eating up the unprotected contact surfaces.

OP
OP
Gug

Gug

Bike
18' Goldwing Tour
I'm glad you fixed it but I can't take credit - I just got on the keyboard first. Plenty of us have had or read of a similar problem. Just two days ago a ST1300 rider I was out with had the same problem occur when we stopped for a rest stop. He jiggled the start button and the lights came on.

Now though you should go into that switch and relube the contacts. The cleaner fixes the acute problem but by removing all of the old grease in there but the problem will return and may require a new switch next time due to corrosion eating up the unprotected contact surfaces.
10/4 will do!

Top Bottom