Double Riser blocks on ST1300??

CruSTy

My Perception is my reality.
Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
2024 Miles
STOC #
Found a new riding position Id like to try. I'm 6'3 and sit pretty high in the saddle. Tried MCL GenII or GenIII. Didnt like the setback and still a little short. I put double riser blocks on (see Pic) and like the position. Can't ride it safely this way cause the Clutch hose on the left and brake hose on the right are too short and either rubbing or stretched too tight when full lock. Has anyone here tried this before? Does someone make an extender block or hoses for the Clutch and brake masters? I searched our site but have not seen this one before.

[IMGL]https://www.st-owners.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=175156&stc=1&d=1467341513[/IMGL]

Attachments

Last edited:

Byron

STOC #
I'm not sure I would trust the bolts holding the handlebars and riser blocks to the top triple tree. You'll probably going to have to have custom hoses made. I'm sure there are companies out there that can do it.

Bike
Yamaha Super Tenere
I ran double risers on my FJR. One set of blocks were set-backs and on top were ones like above.
I added 2" longer lines at the time and I think I got them at BikeEffects.com..
The front brake was two lines from the calipers to the reservoir.
Non-ABS bike if that makes a difference.

ScubaDave

Site Supporter
Bike
st 1300
STOC #
I know Grizz ran a set of blocks on top of Heli bars. It can be done safely..

nerSTeve

Vendor
Bike
2007 ST1300A
STOC #
Helibar GenIII and Genmar Blocks. I think that's how Colin (RedNHST) is set up now and he has zero issue.

OP
OP
CruSTy

CruSTy

Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
2024 Miles
STOC #
Bike
2005 ST 1300 ABS
STOC #
I made no modifications, all I did was unbolt the hose/harness wire guide loops on mounted on the front of the triple tree , pull the hydraulic lines out on both sides so they are not caught in those silver metal guides, make sure they are free when turning lock to lock. I have lots of miles on this setup, including a 10 day 4,000 mile ride down south, the Dragon, Blue Ridge, the Snake, the Rattler, and so many more twisties I can't name them all, not even a hint of an issue.

OP
OP
CruSTy

CruSTy

Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
2024 Miles
STOC #
no mods needed
Thanks for the reply. Single stack works fine. I've been running that way for 2 years. In the pic I doubled yjem up and the clutch and brake lines stretch and scrape near full lock.Not that it matters but the lower ones are GenMar and the upper ones are MCL. Am I missing something?

Last edited:
OP
OP
CruSTy

CruSTy

Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
2024 Miles
STOC #
I made no modifications, all I did was unbolt the hose/harness wire guide loops on mounted on the front of the triple tree , pull the hydraulic lines out on both sides so they are not caught in those silver metal guides, make sure they are free when turning lock to lock. I have lots of miles on this setup, including a 10 day 4,000 mile ride down south, the Dragon, Blue Ridge, the Snake, the Rattler, and so many more twisties I can't name them all, not even a hint of an issue.
Thanks, I'll take a closer look at the hose guides.

OP
OP
CruSTy

CruSTy

Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
2024 Miles
STOC #
I added these to my double riser set up. I just didn't like how tight it was at full turn. Perhaps it would have never come into play, but I was concerned about wear and "what if".

https://www.helibars.com/products/Hy...ength/618.html
This is as close as I've seen thus far. Looks like they are generic fit right or left. They would give me peace of mind. Is there a metric version? Not seeing one on the Helibar site.

Many thanks, just ordered 2.
Any time. I think adding these will ease your concern. They did it for me. I had also removed the metal his/wire guide as mentioned above, but the brake and clutch line were still just too tight for my comfort at full turn, and it just seemed like too much tension on the lines. I didn't want to get out on a trip and have hydraulic line failure, or at least increase any chance of it.

Edit: I tried to load three pics of my set up but the forum won't load them. They are on my phone, not sure what the issue is, but I can email them if you would like to see them. I will try to pm them to you but may have the same issue. PM's sent with links to view.

Last edited:
Bike
2014 ST1300a
I want to know how to insert and turn the key? you can't even touch the key after insert it into keyhole.

and, why you lower the front suspension 10mm, lower the center of gravity?

Bike
2010 ST1300
I want to know how to insert and turn the key? you can't even touch the key after insert it into keyhole.

I suspect that his riser blocks were different than yours - he made no mention of difficulty reaching or turning the key. My guess for your second question is he was trying to get more slack in the hoses. Lowering the front without modifying the rear height changes the suspension geometry and handling. You might PM CruSTy for an answer. This thread is more than a year old (note the date posted in the upper left corner of each post (left end of the blue line).

Bike
2014 ST1300a
I suspect that his riser blocks were different than yours - he made no mention of difficulty reaching or turning the key. My guess for your second question is he was trying to get more slack in the hoses. Lowering the front without modifying the rear height changes the suspension geometry and handling. You might PM CruSTy for an answer. This thread is more than a year old (note the date posted in the upper left corner of each post (left end of the blue line).
thank you for the reply, he give me the link of this thread, so I came here to ask.

the picture show his riser is the same as my. I install one riser, and the key is difficulty turning, especially when lock the bar, so I think his key definitely is very difficulty to reaching.

you are right about the front fork, the handle bar too high, the hoses too short, need more slack.

in china we always reply to the thread we want to reply, no matter it is new or a year old. it is huge difference between us.

OP
OP
CruSTy

CruSTy

Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
2024 Miles
STOC #
I made a special key. I will have to take a picture and upload it later.The forks were moved up because the sonic 1.2 springs I installed raised the front too high. I solved that issue later by correcting the sag and using a better spacer setup.

OP
OP
CruSTy

CruSTy

Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
2024 Miles
STOC #
Top Bottom